Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Village Liverpool City Center

Quote Originally Posted by scottieroader View Post
    Good news that Central Village is getting the go - ahead, but I worry about the effect the overwhelmingly capitalist-and-consumerist-in-character scheme will have on the more bohemian and small scale character of Bold Street, and especially Newington, it would be a shame to see places like Di Scala and Egg Cafes and some of the shops on Newington and Bold Street forced out as the global corporations look to move into the area.
    Looking at the above pics.. looks like a LOT of concrete.. wowie...I do hope, (like you said,) the Bohemian area , and Character of Bold street can continue.. Personally speaking.. I like the small outdoor areas and having a drink in that type atmosphere.. Keeping my fingers crossed for Liverpool.. On the positive side.. lots of jobs for construction workers , and "New" is good too sometimes.. I just like the old architecture myself... so.. lets hope more trees and some park area can be also in the scheme

I don't like the names Tracy and Hepburn for the towers - why name the towers after Spencer Tracy & Katherine Hepburn ?? What for ??

... am I leaving myself wide open here for looking stupid ? ( I suppose I've missed some vital connection)

.. but what have those 2 filmstars got to do with our central village?

But work will now begin on the developments within the next few weeks, the beginning of a two-and-a-half year project to revitalise the Bold Street area of the city centre.
    About time too.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I don't like the names Tracy and Hepburn for the towers - why name the towers after Spencer Tracy & Katherine Hepburn ?? What for ??

... am I leaving myself wide open here for looking stupid ? ( I suppose I've missed some vital connection)

.. but what have those 2 filmstars got to do with our central village?

I think it's something to do with the fact that Spencer Tracey was actually shorter than Ms Hepburn, so they are thought to be a little different. They wanted to give them a "trendy" name so plonked for those two.

Well I wouldn't opt for those names at all. Why would we want some American film stars

Wink Central Village

How about...'Little & Large'......well they are British!!!

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    Looking at the above pics.. looks like a LOT of concrete.. wowie...I do hope, (like you said,) the Bohemian area , and Character of Bold street can continue.. Personally speaking.. I like the small outdoor areas and having a drink in that type atmosphere.. Keeping my fingers crossed for Liverpool.. On the positive side.. lots of jobs for construction workers , and "New" is good too sometimes.. I just like the old architecture myself... so.. lets hope more trees and some park area can be also in the scheme
    It's reading between the lines of the rhetoric that goes along with the scheme that worries me 'revitalise the Bold Street area'... now correct me if I'm wrong but if there's one thing Bold Street isn't short of it's vitality. I don't mean you shouldn't build anything new to give it even more vitality, it's the wording. It gives the impression that some big-wig is looking at Bold Street thinking, 'small independent shops ,how twee, we can do much bigger things for this area'. Of course I could be just being paranoid... I hope I am.

As for the tower's names... how about Crouch and Arteta?

I agree Lindy.....what does Actors names have to do with two Glass buildings? and Old actors for New buildings?????? Crazy....

I also read a post ~way back.. about the Chinese names of the Dock buildings?

Whats going on ? Need some concerned citizens to go to City Hall and try and get some answers for your deserving city . It seems to be getting overtaken by big money... OUCH...

Blog Entries

Well I wouldn't opt for those names at all. Why would we want some American film stars
    Filming goes on in the city and they are trying to increase the industry. Makes sense to have buildings named after artistic people rather than a man who made it rich.

How about Mike Myers? Now there is an actor!! His Ma and Pa were from Liverpool too.
    Last edited by Waterways; 01-08-2008 at 01:03 AM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scottieroader View Post
    It's reading between the lines of the rhetoric that goes along with the scheme that worries me 'revitalise the Bold Street area'... now correct me if I'm wrong but if there's one thing Bold Street isn't short of it's vitality. I don't mean you shouldn't build anything new to give it even more vitality, it's the wording. It gives the impression that some big-wig is looking at Bold Street thinking, 'small independent shops ,how twee, we can do much bigger things for this area'. Of course I could be just being paranoid... I hope I am.
    The area being built on is vacant land that was once rail tracks and a station. The main parts is residential blocks that will bring more people to the area. That will re-vitalise the area and give more business to the small cafes, bars, etc around. It will enhance not bring down the area.

Bold St was never Bohemian. It was the most elegant and fashionable shopping street in the city. Nothing was cheap there and all top quality. It may revert back to its old self, probably not as the shopping complexes nearer the docks may take that role, then the Bohemian aspect should be enhanced.

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Filming goes on in the city and they are trying to increase the industry. Makes sense to have buildings named after artistic people rather than a man who made it rich.

How about Mike Myers? Now there is an actor!! His Ma and Pa were from Liverpool too.
    we'd have to think of some Liverpool film stars -- Rex Harrison for instance.
    Now Harrison tower sounds quite smart. Myers tower would sound ok too.

Blog Entries

we'd have to think of some Liverpool film stars -- Rex Harrison for instance.
    Now Harrison tower sounds quite smart. Myers tower would sound ok too.
    I think you have to be dead to have a tower named after you. But!! Hollywood puts anyones name on the pavement of stars. So, we must not be so parochial.

how it once was?

Bold Street is very Bohemian these days though, lots of arty places, cafes and buskers (sadly beggars too) We have enough famous Liverpudlians than having to recruit yanks I would have thought.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Bold Street is very Bohemian these days though, lots of arty places, cafes and buskers (sadly beggars too) We have enough famous Liverpudlians than having to recruit yanks I would have thought.
    The city or country they come from is irrelevant. If you want to name buildings after artistic people then they should be from anywhere. Liverpool was and still is the port for America.

Daniel Craig, the new James Bond, is local enough as he was brought up on the Wirral and lived in Liverpool at one time. All the James Bond actors could have a tower named after them.

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I think you have to be dead to have a tower named after you. But!! Hollywood puts anyones name on the pavement of stars. So, we must not be so parochial.

Uh.. Waterways... You also have names of famous people in Stars on the promenade in Otterspool I believe.. In fact .. I took some photos of them and hear ,they too, are being restored.. Also, you don't have to be dead to be recognised for your achievements in life...

Lindy.. I think your ideas are worthy...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast