Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Village Liverpool City Center

PhilipG

One of the benefits (?) of getting older is that you remember earlier schemes that never got past the planning stage.
    Round about 1969 there were plans for a new cinema behind Central Station, and there have been other schemes since.
    I love the first tall glass tower, but I'm not so keen on the two smaller replacements.
    I never was keen on Unity right from the start when the first drawings appeared in "Your Move" (but I love the Beethams).

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

how do you feel about the Unity now it's up?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    how do you feel about the Unity now it's up?
    I've said it before, so it's no secret, but I think the Atlantic Tower Hotel still looks better than them.
    Having said that, now that they are completely finished (I think) I'll look at them again.

I always like the Atlantic Tower, it was the best designed hotel of that era, would you believe though that people complained at the time that it didn't fit in with the rest of the area.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Birse are fixing the walls before work gets under way on Central Village.

Blog Entries

Thanks Paul, I was wondering today when work was to begin
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Thanks Paul, I was wondering today when work was to begin
    At least now we know things are about too happen fairly soon.

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

well work has finaly started the car park has closed down to so soon we will loose all traces of the old liverppol central station forever

Blog Entries

DIY retailer Rapid Hardware is considering selling its paint shop on Renshaw Street to the property company behind the Central Village development.

The hardware store, which has struggled in recent years due to the effects of Liverpool’s Big Dig roadworks on trading, is in early stage talks with property group Merepark. Although the price under discussion has not been disclosed, the property, on the corner of Newington Street and Renshaw Street, could be worth millions of pounds.

The post-war concrete and glass store building would be demolished to make way for access to Merepark’s Central Village shops and residential towers scheme. continues.....

Work will start this year on the revised 25-storey and 20-storey mid-rise buildings, nicknamed Spencer and Hepburn, after film legends Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn – she was the taller of the two. Two nine-storey and one five-storey buildings will sit alongside.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

i aint really happy at all about this development we are looseing all traces of old liverpools stations what confusess me is how can they make the view look nice the site is surrounded by old backs off buildings and wallsit looks so scruffy

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    i aint really happy at all about this development we are looseing all traces of old liverpools stations what confusess me is how can they make the view look nice the site is surrounded by old backs off buildings and wallsit looks so scruffy
    All the original parts of Central Station went years ago, didn't they?
    Only the Underground Merseyrail remains.
    I'm happy to be corrected because I don't know if there's anything left in that large triangle at the back.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 04-16-2007 at 08:13 PM.

yes its the old station when liverpool central first opened it was all on that land quite a few traces are left i will show the rare hard to see bits on my site soon www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk i took photos

Default Central Village

Great for that area. seems so long ago now that i used to seel newspapers with my Uncles outside Central Station, (my Uncles are still selling there today) MY FAMILY HAVE SOLD NEWSPAPERS OUT SIDE CENTRAL STATION SINCE IT WAS FIRST BUILT
    History One Person's Perception

wow thats a long time dont sopose any photos where took would of loved to see what the underground was like before the loop line was built also the old booking hall the only old photos of central station seem to be of the outside from main road and train shed on the high level

I'd like to see enormous "muriels" decorating the backs of these buildings. It'd be better than leaving them as they are. I suppose they could use railway themes in this area.
    This could be done on boring gable ends of terraced houses as well a la belfast without the bigotry. We have talented graffitti artists in the city (apparently) who would be happy to oblige legally for a change.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast