The brass cross that was embedded in a granite block as part of the kerb stone in Church St, has always been part of my family history.

If Dear Reader, you will recall, that during the 50's and 60's an oldish man stood with a religious banner right on that very spot.

On Saturday 25th October 2008, I visited Liverpool City centre and checked out the cross. In fact, the cross is a Maltese cross and not a conventional cross.

I discovevered that the cross in now located almost in the entrance of the new shopping arcade. I was able to take some photos with my daughters, a third generation from the craftsman who made the cross, my grandfather.

His name was Samuel Pilkington, and was a 'White Smith' working for the Liverpool Corporation based in Breckside Park just off Lower Breck Road, Anfield.

Sam worked for the 'Corpy' all his life, alongside fellow corporation Pavers, who were 'Taylor's' from my mother's side of the family. The original location of the cross was on the Kerb edge of Church St oppoosite the Tatler Cinema. It remained there from when Church St was first designed in the 1920's through until the area was pedestrianised.

Then the cross was moved further towards the shop fronts, and then it disappeared under builders hoardings until its new location.

The Maltese cross was made from brass that had been part of the alter rail from St Peter's Church, the Pro-Cathedral.

It's probable that the paver who carved the recess in the granite block for the cross, was also a relative of mine. I wonder how many people will notice a small brass cross embedded into the new pavement? 'Far too busy dashing backwards and forwards'. I recall there was a plaque on the wall of Woolworths Store in the 1950's - is there any reference to the cross now?

My grandfather (Pop) still has a son who may know more, if so, i'll come back to you on that. I've not lived on Merseyside for some years, as now living in Cumbria, but whenever I do return, I always look for the cross.

I'm in my three score and thirteenth year and note that Liverpool has changed so much in that time.

Ex-city centre worker throughout the 1950's - just my patch!