Thread: Norval Marley Father of Bob

Default Norval Marley Father of Bob

Bob Marleys dad was a scouser,so I claim 50% of bobs DNA for Liverpool!

http://www.thirdfield.com/new/timeline.html

Yaaaaaaah mon.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

I knew about his dad being Liverpool born.
    I've got most of Bob Marley's stuff, plus some videos of his interviews and concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I knew about his dad being Liverpool born.
    I've got most of Bob Marley's stuff, plus some videos of his interviews and concerts.
    His home, now a museum, in the parrish of St. Ann in Jamaica claims that Norval Marley, Bobs father, was a Jamaican, born in Savanah-la-mar and, as a soldier, was once stationed in the UK.

By-the-way, the museum, in a little village named Nine Mile, is really not worth the journey from any of the north shore resorts or from Kingston. But then, maybe it would be worth it for an avid Marley fan.

Hi all

As I put in the interesting local facts thread, it appears that Norval Marley's only connection with Liverpool is that he joined up here in World War I.

Specifically, according to Wikipedia, "His [Bob Marley's] father, Norval Sinclair Marley, was a white Jamaican born in 1895 to British parents from Sussex. Norval was a Marine officer and captain." A separate entry on Norval Sinclair Marley confirms the Sussex connection but denies any Welsh one. A BBC page on the possible Welsh link, quotes Chris Marley as saying that Norval Marley, born in Jamaica to a family from Sussex "travelled from Jamaica to England where he joined the British Army on 14 August 1916 at Liverpool."

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    A BBC page on the possible Welsh link, quotes Chris Marley as saying that Norval Marley, born in Jamaica to a family from Sussex "travelled from Jamaica to England where he joined the British Army on 14 August 1916 at Liverpool."
    Thanks Chris. Further to my post on Bob Marley's home in Jamaica. I visited his home/museum with thanks (?) to relatives of a friend in Toronto. The journey, in a Honda Civic without air conditioning, was quite an ordeal. Mostly unpaved, bumpy, rutted, country roads with nothing sign-posted and only for local knowledge by our driver, would have been all but impossible to locate. Upon arrival at the house cum-museum I could only describe it as very dissapointing. I would only reccomend truly devoted fans make the attempt.

There is a replica at Universal Studios in Orlando. Quite nice to visit and have a beer in the open air bar.
    Might not be the real thing but much nicer than what Sloyne describes.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    Thanks Chris. Further to my post on Bob Marley's home in Jamaica. I visited his home/museum with thanks (?) to relatives of a friend in Toronto. The journey, in a Honda Civic without air conditioning, was quite an ordeal. Mostly unpaved, bumpy, rutted, country roads with nothing sign-posted and only for local knowledge by our driver, would have been all but impossible to locate. Upon arrival at the house cum-museum I could only describe it as very dissapointing. I would only reccomend truly devoted fans make the attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    There is a replica at Universal Studios in Orlando. Quite nice to visit and have a beer in the open air bar.
    Might not be the real thing but much nicer than what Sloyne describes.
    Thanks, Sloyne and Shy! I think I will go for the replica! Likewise, someone on another forum (a Canadian) was expressing a wish to tour Williamson's Tunnels. I said I had not done so. But I have unhappy memories of being claustophobic and worn out going through the Catacombs of Paris so I doubt if I would want to go through the Mole of Edge Hill's diggings either!!!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace