Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Games

Gerard

Stickin' lie ice sticks into the dead hot tarmac on a hot summers day and makin' what looked like a Tarmac Lollipop and batterin' each other over the 'Ead with them and goin' home with a big Coggie on yer 'Ead..
    The Scottie Road version of Conkers..warrever they were back then !!!

Yeah Gerard, remember that in that blazing hot summer of 76 - HEY!!!!

I had an excuse being 14 but you shudder bin in the pub at 19?????

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Yeah Gerard, remember that in that blazing hot summer of 76 - HEY!!!!

I had an excuse being 14 but you shudder bin in the pub at 19?????
    Wus 4 in the afternoon when the Ponnie wus shut !!!

Quote Originally Posted by victorialush View Post
    Oh that just reminded me...
    We used to pick buttercups and hold them under your chin, if your chin reflected the yellow it meant you like butter (or something ??? strange thing to do but hey )

And daisy chains, make them until they were dead long.

And them pee the beds Lindy, I remember when they were in seed you would blow the seeds saying 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc until the stem was bald. It was supposed to give you the correct time of day
    ooh, I'd forgoten about that Vickie .. the thing about buttercups. You reminded me; the reflection meant that you liked butter! ha,ha.

Wink

Did anyone play Alaaaarlio as we called it (heard it called Alio aswell) Was always a good one to get girls and lads playing together.
    'What do you wanna die of' was my favourite. Dont know if it was just a Canny farm thing but we would play it on the school field or the subbies (subways). Everyone would line up across the top of the hill and one person would stand at the bottom. the person at the bottom would ask each person at the top what they wanted to die of. The person choosing would give a way to die (machine gun, hand grenade etc) and the person asking would do their best machine gun noise or throw an imaginary grenade cueing the person on the hill to do their best James Cagney. The best death would be the winner and they would go the killer.
    Good innocent fun - kids are far far too obsessed with guns and death today.....................................:
    Last edited by christy; 01-30-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Stickin' lie ice sticks into the dead hot tarmac on a hot summers day and makin' what looked like a Tarmac Lollipop and batterin' each other over the 'Ead with them and goin' home with a big Coggie on yer 'Ead..
    The Scottie Road version of Conkers..warrever they were back then !!!

On very hot days we used to spend hours popping tar bubbles. We'd look for the best and biggest bubbles and it was very satisfiying to prod them and hear the pop !
    Sometimes there would be huge giant bubbles that had gone sqidgy and wouldn't pop - they'd just wrinkle like the skin off a rice pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    ooh, I'd forgoten about that Vickie .. the thing about buttercups. You reminded me; the reflection meant that you liked butter! ha,ha.
    Our marje has been in hosptal since before christmas, I can't believe she's not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Our marje has been in hosptal since before christmas, I can't believe she's not better.
    LOL...

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    On very hot days we used to spend hours popping tar bubbles. We'd look for the best and biggest bubbles and it was very satisfiying to prod them and hear the pop !
    Sometimes there would be huge giant bubbles that had gone sqidgy and wouldn't pop - they'd just wrinkle like the skin off a rice pudding.
    Ha haaa..nice one lindylou..
    Goin t' margie baths with yer little V neck cossie rolled up dead neat in yer towel..as soon as yer'd jump in the baths the cossie would be round yer ankles..Eh up !!

Default Jacksons Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    For all those that played in Childwall Woods, did you also go frogging in Jackson's Pond?

Picture here!
    That lake, "Jacksons Pit" was a wonderfull place for us kids in the 50's. Although The farmer "Jackson" probably cursed every kid who played around and in it. How many learned to fish there, Swimming over to the Island was a great adventure. There was always some sort of raft left there. Usualy an old door with 5 gallon drums attached. After the movie the "African Queen" came out we, were terrified of leeches (but not for long) If the field had spuds in it we would always light a fire and roast some in the ashes. And get black hands from taking the charred potato skin off.
    Of course a lot of games and activities were seasonal. Frogs Spawn. Then Frogs and Toads, Cherrie Wobs (the cherrie stone) Conkers, Ollies, Mischief night (when was that) Winter Warmers, was a tin can full of punched holes. Filled with burning coal on a wire handle. Swing it around to make it burn better. Re Ally Oh, Was similar to Kick the Can, Kingy. We used to run for miles around the streets chasing the team that was inside the bounds. The teams were chosen by various counting out chants. e.g. One potato, two potato, three potato, and so on. Or Dib Dib Dib my blue ship sailing on the water like a cup and saucer o-u-t spells out.
    Anyone remember the oak tree up on Cuckoo Lane. Just near the gap in the hedge that gave access to the path across the field to Jacksons lake. It had a small metal seat up inside it's hollow trunk. You had to climb up the trunk on a spiral of branches and bits of steel to get inside. Almost like a snipers hiding place! The tree was obviously extremely old.
    It was all farmers fields, stone walls and hedgerows then. We would nip up there after school from Old Swan to go bird nesting, pick blackberries, or conkers from a great tree opposite the church. Is that tree still there. Even winter made it attractive if the pond was frozen. And of course we did venture out and fall through the ice. Covered in thick mud and freezing we would run home. The hiding I got was deserved when I think of it now.
    Waving to the fireman and the driver of the trains as they steamed along the embankment was ritually done. Then scramble back up to the track to recover our flattended 6 inch nails that the wheels had run over. These were for the spears we were about to make. A length of chain was prized for laying along the track rail. Although now I am not sure of what we did with flattened chain. That picture's "the gear" and brings back great memories.
    Love this site as well
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by The Gardens View Post
    We used to hide by the flyover in Hunter Street and tie an old purse to a length of cotton. People would walk down Hunter Street on their way into the tenements, look around, and seeing the coast was clear bend down to pick up the purse. We would then yank it away with a tog on the cotton (as long as a car didn't drive over it at the crucial moment!). It was only then would they see us hiding, who needs Trigger Happy TV?

We used to do that outside our house with a pound note on a string,you'd be amazed at how long it took some people to realise it was all a wind up,their reactions were priceless.

Default Childhood Games

There used to hang good quality ships rope around the bars on the top of the old iron lamposts around Scottie there was a loop at the bottom of the rope which the girls ,me sister included ,would wrap around them , using a cardy or a coat as a seat.They would twirl and spin around about half a dozen times and then back the other way 10 or 12 times.Some of the girls were really acrobatic and daredevil,lowering their heads close to the deck , making really tight spins ,using one hand ,stuff like that.
    They were always skippin as well, sometimes with 2 girls opposite each other twirlin 2 ropes alternately as a queue of girls lined up to skip, remember them chanting something ,mantralike,which reached a crescendo as one girl jumped out of the whirling ropes and the next one jumped in. I`ll have to ask our Marie about the chants.

we used to get ly ice sticks and interlace them to make a six pointed star using hot tar on hot days as adhesive. when slung properly those stars skimmed through the air good style...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    There used to hang good quality ships rope around the bars on the top of the old iron lamposts around Scottie there was a loop at the bottom of the rope which the girls ,me sister included ,would wrap around them , using a cardy or a coat as a seat.They would twirl and spin around about half a dozen times and then back the other way 10 or 12 times.Some of the girls were really acrobatic and daredevil,lowering their heads close to the deck , making really tight spins ,using one hand ,stuff like that.
    They were always skippin as well, sometimes with 2 girls opposite each other twirlin 2 ropes alternately as a queue of girls lined up to skip, remember them chanting something ,mantralike,which reached a crescendo as one girl jumped out of the whirling ropes and the next one jumped in. I`ll have to ask our Marie about the chants.
    you described that well Jimbo .. I can just picture it all in my mind

thanks lindylou,I asked my sister about the chants but she`d forgotten them..

A bit more of a dangerous "game" was to go down "over the bridge" to a
    big old warehouse where they used to barrel up Guiness. Im not too sure about what went on in the place, but what interested us kids was that the men on the first floor of the warehouse wrapped copper wire around these massive barrels of Guiness and after each wrap a machine guillotined about 3 inches of the wire that fell down into the street outside.There was always oil and loads of these strips of copper wire .We used to pocket as much as our cecks could hold .These we bent into a long U-shape.Next was a trip to Woolies on Great Howard st.(Gratey) to rob packets of elastic bands.These were looped together and then using half a wire coat hanger formed into a Y shape ,the "lazzy" was attached to eyeholes made at the top arms of the Y shape to create a really effective catapult a "catty" .The ammo were the U shaped wires called "slugs",which were used for recreation and inter street slug fights that were fairly dangerous.If properly shot out of the catty using an extra flick of the shoulders, arms and hands those slugs really moved,spraying up showers of sparks on the concrete that surrounded us.Being hit by one was no joke, but there were a few basic rules to avoid serious injuries,such as shouting "SLUG" when firing.The inter street rivalry brought wounds and excitement but no real animosity,and suddenly the slug wars, after a year or two were over.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast