Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Games

Well there's Kirkby, Liverpool's 60s overspill (where Z cars was shot though it was renamed newtown for the series) and there's West Kirby over t'water.

But Kerbie the game as in throwing a ball to the kerb on the opposite side of the road so it rebounded to you and you scored a point each time is what we're on about here I think It was also known as gutters, presumedly after the gutters that ran in the street to grids just roadside of the kerbs.

FKoE

Thats the one Ged.. we used to use a footy rather than a tennis ball...

Does everyone remember those little multi-coloured rubber balls, that when you threw them they would bounce forever ?

Or those plastic clackers? the kids used to have in the 70's.. they always eneded up wrapped up on the telephone wires, along with somebodies left shoe

We used to collect ly ice sticks from the floor - collect hundreds and then your Mam would go mad and make you throw them all away. Used to post them down the grid then! If you played in the grid you got the fever!!

I used to play two-balls for hours - I tried to teach my little girl but she is left-handed and I had trouble explaining it to her - she got it in the end though! We used to stretch the skipping rope across the street and the Mam's used to "turn-up". There was no traffic then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Well there's Kirkby, Liverpool's 60s overspill (where Z cars was shot though it was renamed newtown for the series) and there's West Kirby over t'water.

But Kerbie the game as in throwing a ball to the kerb on the opposite side of the road so it rebounded to you and you scored a point each time is what we're on about here I think It was also known as gutters, presumedly after the gutters that ran in the street to grids just roadside of the kerbs.
    no .. I'm afraid I havn't heard of this game before.

the only game I recall that involved kerbs was something about ''froggy froggy can I cross the water?'' '' to marry your daughter'' .. someone would be 'froggy' and had to try and stop you reaching the kerb ... a bit daft really ! ha,ha.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatooti View Post
    We used to collect ly ice sticks from the floor - collect hundreds and then your Mam would go mad and make you throw them all away. Used to post them down the grid then! If you played in the grid you got the fever!!

I used to play two-balls for hours - I tried to teach my little girl but she is left-handed and I had trouble explaining it to her - she got it in the end though! We used to stretch the skipping rope across the street and the Mam's used to "turn-up". There was no traffic then.
    yep, we did all that. Two balls, skipping ropes, as for collecting ly ice sticks .. I used to collect caterpillars in a jar - hundreds of 'em !! I'd spend hours picking them off the trees.
    Come to think of it, why don't we see these 'catties' these days ??
    There used to be literally loads of them crawling up the tree trunks. They were yellow with black, or was it dark brown spots, and a little black face
    I thought they were lovely and I'd have hundreds of them in a jar. I probably would have let them all go free again eventually knowing me!
    They seem to have disappeared - perhaps they were wiped out as a being a pest by the forestry commision or something !
    Anyway I spent many an hour carefully picking them off the trees. .

The other thing I collected tons of was dandelions. I'd pick hundreds of them and my mum had to put them in jam jars all over the house.

'pee the beds' they were known as. Why were they called this does anyone know ? ha,ha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_summer dandilions.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	891  

Lindy, those catties are wiped out cos of you !!!!

!! I asked for that didn't I !

Gnomie

I remember coillecting the twist tags from the bread and putting them on the break wires of me chopper. looked so cool , i had hundreds of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post

The other thing I collected tons of was dandelions. I'd pick hundreds of them and my mum had to put them in jam jars all over the house.

'pee the beds' they were known as. Why were they called this does anyone know ? ha,ha.
    Hi Lindy

Dandelion is known medicinally and herbally as a diuretic. According to one herbal site, the uses are:

"Diuretic, hepatic, cholagogue, anti-rheumatic, laxative, tonic, bitter. It is a general stimulant to the system, especially to the urinary organs, and is primarily used in kidney and liver disorders."

And from the same site:

"Dandelion is a common meadow herb of the Asteraceae or sunflower family, closely related to chicory. There are about 100 species. Its name is a corruption of the French 'dents de lion', meaning 'teeth of the lion.'

"Folk names include lion's tooth, bitterwort, wild endive, priest's crown, doonheadclock, piss-a-bed, Irish daisy, blow ball, yellow gowan, puffball, clock flower, swine snout, Pu gong ying, fortune-teller, and cankerwort."

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

thanks Chris. You learn something new every day.

ha,ha .. there are some names there .. Swine Snout, Pu Gong Ying, Cankerwort !!

although they are a weed, I think they are pretty in a bright gaudy yellow kind of way.

When I was little I used to love the purple/pink Clover too.
    Last edited by lindylou; 01-11-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Two balls. The girls on the tenement blocks used to play this against the wall whilst reciting mantras. Hopscotch, an old Victorian street game seems to have disappeared these days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 BALLS.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hopscotch.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	972  

we used to "skip leggers" that was jumping on the backs of lorries as they came up from the docks heading towards scotland road and the world beyond..the best leggers were the big blue sugar tank lorries from tate and lyles.There were just enough grips to hang on the back and there was also a small ventile that could be opened causing a stream of brown sugar to come pouring out.This was collected off the deck into cans(maybe used kick the can jobs) a fire was lit, usually on a "holler"and the can and its contents were heated until we made what we called toffee!This was a dodgy concoction but sweet and free.

You really need to get my books Jimbo, In a city living, they're full of what you talk about.

Just tried to upload some pictures of those lorries parked in Pall Mall by Chisenhale Street but the management thingyo couldn't handle a file that size it said.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post

Oh that just reminded me...
    We used to pick buttercups and hold them under your chin, if your chin reflected the yellow it meant you like butter (or something ??? strange thing to do but hey )

And daisy chains, make them until they were dead long.

And them pee the beds Lindy, I remember when they were in seed you would blow the seeds saying 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc until the stem was bald. It was supposed to give you the correct time of day

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast