Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: 1980s & 1990s Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    British Home Stores moved into the building, but I don't know (apart from the ground floor) how much of the building they occupied, but it was no longer an arcade. The 1968 Kelly's directory lists the building as 'Arcade Chambers', and there were various offices in the building.
    Until recently BHS used the rear of the ground floor as their restaurant.
    I took the photo in 1984 and entered the landing where the photo was taken from The Strawberry Dance Studios. I'll try and find out what survives.
    The glass roof could (& hopefully can still) be seen from Cavern Walks.
    I can't see anything looking like a glass roof on Flash Earth and the aerial shots are fairly recent so it's probably been roofed over. I remember BHS's old restaurant,didn't realise they'd used the adjacent building too. I think it was only the ground floor,on the first there was just a wall as a divider between the two so they hadn't knocked through.

That's a great newspaper article too you've posted,Philip. The last sentence is definitely still true today! The way the ground floor has been sub-divided into shop units [as in your current pic] not in line with the building's layout above suggests that there won't be much remaining of the original there,sadly.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    he's still alive then !!

fantastic Ged- thanks for finding those pictures - it saves me the job of searching for them.

Jacko is one of Liverpool's characters. Many Scousers will know him or know of him. Jacko is one of the Street people who amuses and brightens up a dull day. Jacko uses a cardboard cut-out of a banjo to busk with in Liverpool City centre - you may have seen him dressed in a Father Christmas hat which compliments his beard. Jacko is always polite and NEVER asks for money. If you give money, that is your choice and gift. Born in Armagh on the 26th of June 1938, his proper name is Jackson Nesbitt. Jacko takes a size 9 shoes; the need for new shoes is vital. A warm waterproof coat would be also be appreciated - water proof trousers would be a help now the Winters here. Do what you can - lets look after people like Jacko - he's one of Liverpool's sons and a true Liverpool character!

check him out on you tube

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=x-WBWNrgXPo&feature=user

Steven

A great character. I love the way he makes the plink, plonk noises while he plucks his cardboard banjo. John (the baked spud man) outside TJ's gives Jacko his lunch a couple of times a week and a lot of people on the market there look out for him.

Default Father plink plink.

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    you may have seen him dressed in a Father Christmas hat which compliments his beard.
    Mary Christmas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plink Xmas.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	5083  
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

I found this picture of Lord Street arcade

http://www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk/t...2123/index.htm
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post

That's actually after it was Lord Street Arcade, when it was BHS (before they moved next door).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ayjaykay View Post
    That's actually after it was Lord Street Arcade, when it was BHS (before they moved next door).
    I meant the building, sorry
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post

Great pic

John(Zappa)

Boss pic there Robbo.Well in

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    The 1909 OS map describes it as an "Accumulator Tower".
    Perhaps someone else knows what such a building was.

Here's another photo from the same day, with slightly less activity than your photo, Dave.
    I'm just skimming through some of the older threads, and found this one, and couldn't see that anyone had answered the question.

I read up quite a lot about hydraulic power when we were looking to use some of the ducts of the London Hydraulic Company to run fibre optics cables along.

Many buildings used hydraulic power for hoists, lifts and loading ramps. In the docks it was used for lock gates, sluices and pumps. Water was pumped around the system at around 100 p.s.i, and if a pipe ruptured you got a very impressive fountain, and a big hole in the road!

The accumulators were basically water towers, the water was pumped up to the top by steam pumps, and the height gave it the pressure. If the pumps stopped for any reason, there was enough water in the accumulator to keep things running for a while until another pump was brought online.

John

chippie

When I was working in Button Street back in the 60s our hoist was powered by water. There was the system in the roof that burst twice while I was there rendering it useless when there where three waggons underneath waiting to be unloaded, and it flooded all the floors in the process, making walking quite hazardous.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    When I was working in Button Street back in the 60s our hoist was powered by water. There was the system in the roof that burst twice while I was there rendering it useless when there where three waggons underneath waiting to be unloaded, and it flooded all the floors in the process, making walking quite hazardous.
    Thought you could walk on water, Chippie.

chippie

Default walk on water

I can Philip but my trousers get wet.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    I can Philip but my trousers get wet.
    I prefer your multicoloured kilt.

Last edited by PhilipG; 02-28-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Just found a small gem on Flickr . These include a few shots of the Garden Festival, Chester, Runcorn, Skelmersdale and Port Sunlight.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast