Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
British Home Stores moved into the building, but I don't know (apart from the ground floor) how much of the building they occupied, but it was no longer an arcade. The 1968 Kelly's directory lists the building as 'Arcade Chambers', and there were various offices in the building.
Until recently BHS used the rear of the ground floor as their restaurant.
I took the photo in 1984 and entered the landing where the photo was taken from The Strawberry Dance Studios. I'll try and find out what survives.
The glass roof could (& hopefully can still) be seen from Cavern Walks.
I can't see anything looking like a glass roof on Flash Earth and the aerial shots are fairly recent so it's probably been roofed over. I remember BHS's old restaurant,didn't realise they'd used the adjacent building too. I think it was only the ground floor,on the first there was just a wall as a divider between the two so they hadn't knocked through.

That's a great newspaper article too you've posted,Philip. The last sentence is definitely still true today! The way the ground floor has been sub-divided into shop units [as in your current pic] not in line with the building's layout above suggests that there won't be much remaining of the original there,sadly.

Dave.