Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980s & 1990s Liverpool.

I bought my wife's wedding ring from Maurice Abelsons & Sons the jewellers. On the first picture you can see the round white turret of Hymans on the corner of Camden Street.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by nancy o. View Post
    Oh good, another mystery solved - I just found a photo of this street and was wondering where it was. This photo is from the early 90s, I think.
    Lovely photo.
    Thanks Nancy.
    Have you any more mysteries?
    Pretty please!

MissInformed

ha ha you love a good mystery Philip!

PhilipG

Last edited by PhilipG; 03-19-2008 at 09:36 PM.

PhilipG

Last edited by PhilipG; 03-19-2008 at 09:36 PM.

theninesisters

Does anyone have any pictures of the facade of the old Fruit n Veg warehouse on the corner of Wavertree Road/Tunnel Road that disappeared one weekend without any say so from the Council?

PhillipG - You're a star. Did you photograph the whole of Liverpool by any chance? Those Islington pics are great, as I said earlier, so nonentity to many, but brill to us who lived around the corner and walked past them nearly every day. You'll notice that Hymans seems to be a different business on every pic, glad I didn't work for any of them.

The little sweet shop next to Transport House boxing club was known as 'Barney's', owned in the 70s by Joan and Peter someone or other. I can picture them now. He owned a brown Cortina MKIII with black vinyl roof and alloys and he used to let me and my cousin wash it and we'd help them stock the tiny little stockroom around the back. Back Commutation Row still exists.

I remember diving in the chest freezer for choc ices, Zooms and Twicers in that summer of 76 and Top Deck shandy was all the go too after a game of footy by the fountain.

PhilipG

Last edited by PhilipG; 03-19-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Shapers

Can see the character within these old buildings which sadly lack in the new 'improved' buildings of today. That usually get left emptied after a while.

Progress

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Lovely photo.
    Thanks Nancy.
    Have you any more mysteries?
    Pretty please!
    Alright. There's no mystery that this was the Kemlyn Road entrance at Anfield, but I need a date. Any idea when tickets to this stand were 8 pounds? The car parked in the front should also give a clue. My friend John took this photo but nothing is written on the back, and it got separated from it's original envelope years ago.

Love the broken glass long the top of the wall, it really says welcome!

Blog Entries

^^1989?^^
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Alright. There's no mystery that this was the Kemlyn Road entrance at Anfield, but I need a date. Any idea when tickets to this stand were 8 pounds? The car parked in the front should also give a clue. My friend John took this photo but nothing is written on the back, and it got separated from it's original envelope years ago.

Love the broken glass long the top of the wall, it really says welcome!

The centenary stand was completed in 1992 and the Kop demolished in 1994, so it was some time between the two. A quick check of some old programmes has shopwn that admission to the Kop was £8 in both the 1992-3 and 1993-4 seasons.

Actually, it's the Kop, right? I'm looking at the other picture I posted, and that would make sense. Does it still look anything like this?

Actually, it's the Kop, right? I'm looking at the other picture I posted, and that would make sense. Does it still look anything like this?

Yes it's the Kop but the whole thing has been demolished now and rebuilt. The stands to either side are still in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    The centenary stand was completed in 1992 and the Kop demolished in 1994, so it was some time between the two. A quick check of some old programmes has shopwn that admission to the Kop was £8 in both the 1992-3 and 1993-4 seasons.

Thanks SteH for the detective work, I think '93 sounds about right. So ticket prices have only gone up about 400% since then, right?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast