Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liverpool Overhead Railway 1957

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Had a cracking visit to the Dingle Tunnel today. Was a private tour and was organised weeks ago with lots of letter writing - you can't just turn up and expect to go in.

Pics will be up in a bit but here are two video's below:

You start off by entering the way that the passengers would from the road, by a long and winding slope, finally ending up on to the Station itself (although nothing remains of the station). There's a workshop/garage at the front sidings and then you are left to go down to the pitch black tunnel (i'd say about a mile walk) and view a vast amount of classic cars along the way!

It's amazing as you actually get to stand on the 'roof bricks' of the well used Tunnel underneath and feel the trains as they go below you.
    Once you get to the end of the tunnel, you can peer over the wall to see Sefton Street. Cars and Tunnels in one day was cracking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzxZ2s59HRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYrDqJfxUN0
    I have been in the station a number of times. It can easily be reused as it is very wide. Why the people of Dingle do not get the local MP and councilor to attempt to get the station recommissioned is beyond me. A Merseyrail station there would pull up that area and attract economic growth. Developers would be attracted around the station. Lighter Docklands Light-Rail cars would be needed.

Blog Entries

That last image could be easily be mistaken for the elevated track in down town Chicago back in the 1920's.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    That last image could be easily be mistaken for the elevated track in down town Chicago back in the 1920's.
    Well yes but it could be said that elevated railways the world over looked similar.

C
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Well yes but it could be said that elevated railways the world over looked similar.
    Yes, they quite defined the era. I wonder what legacy we'll leave today for those looking back, one hundred years from now?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Probably in terms of transportation, the return of trams, or "light rail" as it is known here in the United States.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

C
    Monorail's do not.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I have been in the station a number of times. It can easily be reused as it is very wide. Why the people of Dingle do not get the local MP and councilor to attempt to get the station recommissioned is beyond me. A Merseyrail station there would pull up that area and attract economic growth. Developers would be attracted around the station. Lighter Docklands Light-Rail cars would be needed.
    I really suspect that it would take slightly more than just a 'few letters' to a local MP to turn a privately owned garage in to a multi million pound costing exercise. Exactly the same could be said to get the old Loop Line/Cycle track back in to use - the only direct way from getting from Halewood to Bootle and beyond in a straight journey.

Blog Entries

Probably in terms of transportation, the return of trams, or "light rail" as it is known here in the United States.
    Trams have been proven to be a failure in promoting economic growth. The reason why the government went cool on them. Leeds, Merseytram, Bristol, Edinburgh and South Hants were all back-burnered. Although Leeds does need trams as it has nothing else.

In Liverpool extending Merseyrail and converting it to light-rail, as per the Docklands Light-Railway is the answer and gives far more bang-for-buck. It also benefits all of Merseyside, as it extends a network making it easy for people to travel from one part of the region to another. The trams only served basically Liverpool and some bit just over the border. Metro's create economic growth. They give a positive go-ahead image.

Hit the link on the sig below.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition