Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Lost Village beneath Liverpool City Centre by Tom Slemen.

I just thought you all where interested in the history of liverpool too? and possibly what we have found,
    We are interested but what we don't see is evidence of this,like I said one or two pics will or might get you more bookings?

This might of been a street? off the area around the kilns that where on the station before it actually became a station,the kilns were resited due to the old hospital having complaints from the lime dust and then it was aptly named Lime Street as opposed to Lime Kiln Lane.

Yes, we are interested, hope you find something fascinating to come back and tell us about.

Blog Entries

Lime Street looks like just farmer's fields - a through road.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eyes 1765.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	17864

John Eye's map 1765 [LRO]

Name:	George Perry 1769.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	17863

George Perry's map of 1769 [LRO]

Name:	William Swires map 1823_24.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	17865

William Swire's map of 1823/24 [LRO]

Name:	1836 gage.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	502.2 KB 
ID:	17866

Gage's map, 1836 [LRO]
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

The brains been tinkerring...

A while back I was looking for the original Gaukoffs the butchers first shop,apparently the shop was at the back of Lime Street somewhere,at first I thoght it might of stood where the car park is at the side of the Adelphi...this was wrong so if these are shops in this find? then this could be the site of the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    George Perry's map of 1769 [LRO]

Lime Street looks like just farmer's fields, a through road.

Name:	George Perry 1769.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	17863

I'll see what else I can find.
    Hi Dazza

Moreover if we go by what medieval plans we have, and admittedly most of them are conjectural, there was nothing in the Lime Street area back then. The city was mostly congregated near the Mersey in the streets near the Castle, the Tower, and the Town Hall, in the original "seven streets" configuration. The town of Liverpool would have petered out as you went up Dale Street, and there would have been no medieval village, subterranean or otherwise, in the vicinity of the future Mersey Tunnel entrance and the sites of St. John's Church and St. George's Hall.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Too far back Dazza,you want maps dating around 1820/25

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Too far back Dazza,you want maps dating around 1820/25
    Look back...I've just added William Swire's map of 1823/24 and Gage's map of 1836.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Dazza

Moreover if we go by what medieval plans we have, and admittedly most of them are conjectural, there was nothing in the Lime Street area back then. The city was mostly congregated near the Mersey in the streets near the Castle, the Tower, and the Town Hall, in the original "seven streets" configuration. The town of Liverpool would have petered out as you went up Dale Street, and there would have been no medieval village, subterranean or otherwise, in the vicinity of the future Mersey Tunnel entrance and the sites of St. John's Church and St. George's Hall.

Chris
    A very salient point Chris. It was land across the Pool above the Great Heath, nothing but farm fields. In medieval times there would not have been anything noteworthy here, as you pointed out earlier.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Well looking at Swires map we can definatly see buildings in the vicinity of the station built over in 1836.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    The brains been tinkerring...

A while back I was looking for the original Gaukoffs the butchers first shop,apparently the shop was at the back of Lime Street somewhere,at first I thoght it might of stood where the car park is at the side of the Adelphi...this was wrong so if these are shops in this find? then this could be the site of the shop?

The facade Gaukoff Kosher Butchers is still on London Road, but this is probably not the shop you're talking about is it?

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    The facade Gaukoff Kosher Butchers is still on London Road, but this is probably not the shop you're talking about is it?
    It is,but Galkof's moved to the London rd. shop ,later.

How much later, please? This is supposed to be science... or history... or sumfin erm, academical... know what I mean?...

No,Galkof had their shop originally behind Lime Street and for some reason moved to London Road,taking out a 75? year lease on that shop which has well expired and is one of the last remaining courts which the council cannot demolish although I cannot fo the life of me see it being bought by anyone as its condition is very poor.

It is owned by someone I know George who is a member of the Liverpool historical society. There is a website on it with some good pics and history of it. How is it a court though?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Sorry Ged,it was.....Number 37 and 41 Pembroke Place are the two ends of Watkins Terrace the last remaining court dwelling in the city.

Galkoffs was a mid terrace shop, a court is a yarded area surrounded by residential properties.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast