Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Kings Waterfront project

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

...I haven't seen the place yet but am looking forward to it.

Does it look an impressive structure in terms of size and scale from the outside? Does it have 'presence' in other words?

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    Does it look an impressive structure in terms of size and scale from the outside? Does it have 'presence' in other words?
    Yes it does

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Where did you take this pic from?
    Just in front of the Albert Dock.

@Dave, how did u find the experience of being at the top of the carpark looking 'in'? Being so close to the arena was a bit of a 'rush' for me. I also spied the main entrance to the arena itself, it runs under the carpark from one side (not the river side) at road level straight into the arena if u know what I mean. It would have been realy easy to climb over.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Just in front of the Albert Dock.

@Dave, how did u find the experience of being at the top of the carpark looking 'in'? Being so close to the arena was a bit of a 'rush' for me. I also spied the main entrance to the arena itself, it runs under the carpark from one side (not the river side) at road level straight into the arena if u know what I mean. It would have been realy easy to climb over.
    Yeah, it's a fantastic view from the car park, Kev. Not really bothered about gaining access as I can get into most places in the daytime. My "thang" is getting up high to take pics of Liverpool from unusual locations
    Here's one from near the front of the Holiday Inn Express.

Blog Entries

TAXPAYERS will be forced to provide extra funding to finish Liverpool's new waterfront arena after it emerged there was a £9m hole in its coffers.

Despite insisting the ACC Liverpool project is "on time and on budget" the management team wants more money to pay for cladding the building as well as the creation of a piazza.

The extra cash will also mean the Kings Dock venue can be fitted with the very latest sound equipment to ensure it can compete with rival operators and cover the cost of other minor work.

Liverpool City Council will fund part of the shortfall with the rest split between regeneration and government agencies.

The authority is keen to make sure the project is finished to the highest standards because of the huge economic benefits the dozens of conferences, concerts and events will bring to the city.

But last night Liverpool's Labour leader, Joe Anderson, criticised arena officials for failing "to do their sums".

He told the Daily Post: "They have told us time and again that they are on budget yet now they are asking for extra money.

"What will it be next? 'Oh we forgot to budget for the roof'?

"They should have done their homework properly. We wouldn't accept this from the private sector.

"It's a good job there is some government money available so the burden doesn't just fall on council tax payers."

Despite the setback, the arena is still on schedule to be up and running in time for January 08 when it will stage the opening ceremony for Liverpool's Capital of Culture year.

It will also generate millions for the region's hotels and restaurants by hosting major international conferences. Already it has secured 32 conferences during its first year including the British Society of Interventional Radiology.

It has also attracted the European Senior Amateur Boxing Association Championships with many more events still to be announced.

Cllr Mike Storey, Liverpool's executive member for special initiatives, said: "The arena will be delivered on time ready for the opening ceremony for 2008.

"Any additional money will be spent on making sure it is finished to the highest quality standards.

"We want the best possible stadium. It is already hosting secured deals to host 32 blue chip conferences."

Jim Gill, chief executive of Liverpool Vision, last night insisted that the regional backers of the £146m scheme were happy with its progress.

He said: "There are some additional costs but we always envisaged having them at some stage as the costs were less certain 18 months ago than now.

"We are very happy with the progress overall and there is no panic about the costs."

The project has been funded by the city council, Liverpool Vision, the North West Development Agency and English Partnerships.

A statement issued on their behalf said: "The Kings Waterfront Partnership is committed to delivering a development of the highest quality and international standards of design and operation.

"The Arena and Convention Centre Liverpool (ACCL) continues to make positive progress and is on schedule to open in January 2008.

"The interest generated and bookings confirmed underline its importance to Liverpool's economy and the city's reputation as visitor destination.

"The additional funding required represents a small percentage of the total cost of the arena and will ensure this vitally important regeneration project maintains highest possible standards of construction, materials and facilities.

"Once operational, the ACC Liverpool will add around £10m per annum to the Liverpool city region economy and support around 2,000 jobs."

samlister@dailypost.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    TAXPAYERS will be forced to provide extra funding to finish Liverpool's new waterfront arena after it emerged there was a £9m hole in its coffers.

Despite insisting the ACC Liverpool project is "on time and on budget" the management team wants more money to pay for cladding the building as well as the creation of a piazza.

The extra cash will also mean the Kings Dock venue can be fitted with the very latest sound equipment to ensure it can compete with rival operators and cover the cost of other minor work.

Liverpool City Council will fund part of the shortfall with the rest split between regeneration and government agencies.

The authority is keen to make sure the project is finished to the highest standards because of the huge economic benefits the dozens of conferences, concerts and events will bring to the city.

But last night Liverpool's Labour leader, Joe Anderson, criticised arena officials for failing "to do their sums".

He told the Daily Post: "They have told us time and again that they are on budget yet now they are asking for extra money.

"What will it be next? 'Oh we forgot to budget for the roof'?

"They should have done their homework properly. We wouldn't accept this from the private sector.

"It's a good job there is some government money available so the burden doesn't just fall on council tax payers."

Despite the setback, the arena is still on schedule to be up and running in time for January 08 when it will stage the opening ceremony for Liverpool's Capital of Culture year.

It will also generate millions for the region's hotels and restaurants by hosting major international conferences. Already it has secured 32 conferences during its first year including the British Society of Interventional Radiology.

It has also attracted the European Senior Amateur Boxing Association Championships with many more events still to be announced.

Cllr Mike Storey, Liverpool's executive member for special initiatives, said: "The arena will be delivered on time ready for the opening ceremony for 2008.

"Any additional money will be spent on making sure it is finished to the highest quality standards.

"We want the best possible stadium. It is already hosting secured deals to host 32 blue chip conferences."

Jim Gill, chief executive of Liverpool Vision, last night insisted that the regional backers of the £146m scheme were happy with its progress.

He said: "There are some additional costs but we always envisaged having them at some stage as the costs were less certain 18 months ago than now.

"We are very happy with the progress overall and there is no panic about the costs."

The project has been funded by the city council, Liverpool Vision, the North West Development Agency and English Partnerships.

A statement issued on their behalf said: "The Kings Waterfront Partnership is committed to delivering a development of the highest quality and international standards of design and operation.

"The Arena and Convention Centre Liverpool (ACCL) continues to make positive progress and is on schedule to open in January 2008.

"The interest generated and bookings confirmed underline its importance to Liverpool's economy and the city's reputation as visitor destination.

"The additional funding required represents a small percentage of the total cost of the arena and will ensure this vitally important regeneration project maintains highest possible standards of construction, materials and facilities.

"Once operational, the ACC Liverpool will add around £10m per annum to the Liverpool city region economy and support around 2,000 jobs."

samlister@dailypost.co.uk
    This happens to most projects of this scale anywhere in the world. This must be of the highest quality, so if they need more money, give it to them. I can't think of many other places I would want my money to go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    This happens to most projects of this scale anywhere in the world. This must be of the highest quality, so if they need more money, give it to them. I can't think of many other places I would want my money to go.
    I would like to send bulldozers through the whole stadium.

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post

An expected comment!

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post

I know what you mean John, but what's done is done. Have you seen the stadum? It's pretty impressive. Let's hope it gets used enough to make a profit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    I know what you mean John, but what's done is done. Have you seen the stadum? It's pretty impressive. Let's hope it gets used enough to make a profit.
    I hope it fails and they have to demolish it. It should be on wheels then they can tow it to a better location for a stadium.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

what a great headline for NW tonight that would be. get over it

Blog Entries

Heathcote aims to give Arena taste to remember - CONCERT-GOERS at Liverpool's new waterfront arena can expect something a little more up-market to eat than the traditional limp burger. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Here's what the apartments which will surround the car park will look like,due on site early 2007.

http://www.christiesestates.com/inde...=213&Itemid=71

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL’S new waterfront arena could host concerts with audiences of more than 10,700 if safety chiefs back a move to allow people to stand. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

They've been saying for ages now the attendance was 10,124,now they tell us it's 9,000 really but it may be 10,700,it's going to be great don't get me wrong but 12,500 would have been perfect I reckon.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast