Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: some pics of smithdown rd

Those of us born in September 45 at Sefton General were given a mug and a scroll by the Lord Mayor-they called us Victory babies. Don't know what happened to those mementoes. As a Tunnel roader you may remember the old cinema on Tunnel road? Might have been called the Tunnel? I know it became a second hand furniture store in it's later years (70's) and I had returned home from the Army then and taken a job driving for Times Furnishing on Lord street. ( where the Burger King is today!) me and my van man, an old guy called Bozzy (Johnny Bostock) used to take any old furniture we gained to this place and make a few bob.-recycling before it was invented! While on about cinemas in the area I remember seeing Elvis in Blue Hawaii at the Rialto at the top of Smithdown rd, with a pal of mine, Geoff Kneen who lived on Alderton Rd off Smithdown. I also managed to visit the Cameo as well, before it closed down.
    Good point about the cemetery high jinks too. None of us ever visited here with vandalism in mind- it was just a nice quiet place to escape to, especially if you had skived off school- you could get picked up wandering round Sefton park during School time, but no one ever found you in the cemetery!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fat scouse View Post
    Those of us born in September 45 at Sefton General were given a mug and a scroll by the Lord Mayor-they called us Victory babies. Don't know what happened to those mementoes. As a Tunnel roader you may remember the old cinema on Tunnel road? Might have been called the Tunnel? I know it became a second hand furniture store in it's later years (70's) and I had returned home from the Army then and taken a job driving for Times Furnishing on Lord street. ( where the Burger King is today!) me and my van man, an old guy called Bozzy (Johnny Bostock) used to take any old furniture we gained to this place and make a few bob.-recycling before it was invented! While on about cinemas in the area I remember seeing Elvis in Blue Hawaii at the Rialto at the top of Smithdown rd, with a pal of mine, Geoff Kneen who lived on Alderton Rd off Smithdown. I also managed to visit the Cameo as well, before it closed down.
    Good point about the cemetery high jinks too. None of us ever visited here with vandalism in mind- it was just a nice quiet place to escape to, especially if you had skived off school- you could get picked up wandering round Sefton park during School time, but no one ever found you in the cemetery!
    Brother F.S, please excuse my tardy response. As I was born in 1950,I missed out on any commemorative memorabillia,but I feel certain that a picture of said goodies would be of interest to our bretheren here, assuming you still have them.
    I was indeed a saturday morning regular at The Tunnel, also called The Avenue Cinema at one stage, but known to one and all as the 'Bughouse',This was the scene of talent contests during the 'Beat Group ' era, and later, catered for the Asian community (I recall being charmed by the exotic advertising posters for the (now known as Bollywood) movies.
    I lived on the stretch of Tunnel Rd. in between Spekeland St. and Macauley St, (or if you prefer, Top Jonies, and Mc Nally's pubs) and down the road apiece, was/is an old stable (I remember the stalls being intact as a kid), this building was then, and remains to date, the premises of furniture dealers, secondhand then, antique now (how times change eh?).
    Of the other cinemas you mention, I remember The Rialto of course,though I was not a patron, and I recall the Cameo being closed when I was roaming the surrounding streets, but we all knew of its lurid history.
    See you later, alligator.

~ Red Tom ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12