Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Markets

Blog Entries

Default Liverpool Markets

Great Homer Street

A LIVERPOOL market place is to have a £150m revamp, with plans to build the city’s biggest super- market.

It is hoped Great Homer Street in Everton will experience a major rebirth with Project Jennifer, a scheme that is set to transform the area into the city’s biggest district centre.

If plans get the go-ahead, the site will host a 110,000 sq ft Tesco, a new NHS PCT health centre with a doctor’s surgery and dentist, a new library and nearly 500 new homes.

The site will also host a petrol station and non-food shops, as well as space for 300 outdoor market stalls and an indoor market hall.

It is designed so that the supermarket will start at first- floor level, with other shops and car parking spaces underneath.

The 481 new homes – a mixture of flats and houses – will be built to help bring in new families to the area which has seen the population plummet in the last decade.

The plans include an 11-storey block and another six-storey block providing 74 flats.

The new Tesco would dwarf Liverpool’s current biggest supermarket, Asda at Hunts Cross. continues......
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

That Project Jennifer has been around for years. I'd almost given up on it.
    Last edited by scouserdave; 01-02-2007 at 12:37 PM. Reason: missed "up"

What an inspired solution, build a Tesco!
    The vision of our planners knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    What an inspired solution, build a Tesco!
    The vision of our planners knows no bounds.

What do you suggest they build there instead? The area is a wasteland and all they are trying to do is re-create a sustainable community with amenities. Nobody is going to move into these new homes if the only place to shop is a Bargain Booze and newsagent. If you read the article fully you'll see there is far more planned than just a Tesco.

scouserdave

Agree Ste. Where's the nearest supermarket? Utting Avenue? Broad Lane? "Let them eat cake", eh Harry

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Agree Ste. Where's the nearest supermarket? Utting Avenue? Broad Lane? "Let them eat cake", eh Harry
    It'd be the newish Asda in Breckfield Road North, discounting the frozen food store on the current site of the proposed Tesco.

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Odd to misuse that phrase to actually support some wierd US-style Tesco community. 'Let them eat cake', or 'let's design an environment where this community have no choice but to buy from our plc'?

Id've thought it'd better to find some way of supporting local people to re-open their own grocers/butchers/whatever on Liverpool's high-streets.
    Do we want passive consumers for the benefit of Tesco's profits or do we want people being able to provide their own choices?

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    Id've thought it'd better to find some way of supporting local people to re-open their own grocers/butchers/whatever on Liverpool's high-streets.
    Do we want passive consumers for the benefit of Tesco's profits or do we want people being able to provide their own choices?
    I think most people nowadays prefer the convenience of Tesco instead of having to go to separate grocers/butchers/whatever (and having nowhere to park when they do so). Whether that's a good thing or not I don't know, but it's a fact.

scouserdave

Odd to misuse that phrase to actually support some wierd US-style Tesco community. 'Let them eat cake', or 'let's design an environment where this community have no choice but to buy from our plc'?

Quite presumptuous of you to draw these conclusions from my "Let them eat cake" quote

Do North Liverpool have any Tesco's at all?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by ayjaykay View Post
    I think most people nowadays prefer the convenience of Tesco instead of having to go to separate grocers/butchers/whatever (and having nowhere to park when they do so). Whether that's a good thing or not I don't know, but it's a fact.
    Well indeed...it's convenient to dump used-fridges by the side of roads, it's convenient to piss in the sink, it's convenient to do a lot of things...
    I think you lived abroad you might see 'convenience culture' as not such a great aspect of the British way.

Remember a lot of older people in this city don't have cars and would like to be liberated from the fear of going out after dark, by a high-street of busy night-time activity rather than a killed-by-supermarket retail-free dead-zone populated primarily by boorish drunks and scary-looking gangs.

Admittedly there ARE many lazy-arses who get home from work and just want a 5min microwave supper, but there are also many who don't mind a bit of cooking and who GIVEN THE CHOICE and wouldn't turn down the chance to purchase some decent local fresh ingredients at around half the price the supermarkts sell them for- but, of course, you very soon don't get that choice when a multiple scews the market.

It should be written into the contract for Tesco to operate in cities that they can only buy already existing properties on the high-street, and franchise them to local grocers et al to make a success out of. And that they can only continue operations if their activity stimulates small independent competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Do North Liverpool have any Tesco's at all?
    Bootle Strand

Then give Everton a Tesco now!

They maybe Northern Scousers but still to see any of them go without a Tesco.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Well indeed...it's convenient to dump used-fridges by the side of roads, it's convenient to piss in the sink, it's convenient to do a lot of things...
    I think you lived abroad you might see 'convenience culture' as not such a great aspect of the British way.

Remember a lot of older people in this city don't have cars and would like to be liberated from the fear of going out after dark, by a high-street of busy night-time activity rather than a killed-by-supermarket retail-free dead-zone populated primarily by boorish drunks and scary-looking gangs.

Admittedly there ARE many lazy-arses who get home from work and just want a 5min microwave supper, but there are also many who don't mind a bit of cooking and who GIVEN THE CHOICE and wouldn't turn down the chance to purchase some decent local fresh ingredients at around half the price the supermarkts sell them for- but, of course, you very soon don't get that choice when a multiple scews the market.

It should be written into the contract for Tesco to operate in cities that they can only buy already existing properties on the high-street, and franchise them to local grocers et al to make a success out of. And that they can only continue operations if their activity stimulates small independent competition.
    Sorry but your whole argument is ridiculous. I don't "piss in the sink" but I do shop at Tesco. I wouldn't want to go to a butcher, grocer or fishmonger even if it was there. People had the choice and they chose supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by ayjaykay View Post
    Sorry but your whole argument is ridiculous. I don't "piss in the sink" but I do shop at Tesco. I wouldn't want to go to a butcher, grocer or fishmonger even if it was there. People had the choice and they chose supermarkets.
    Oh ok then.
    Last edited by The Teardrop Explodes; 01-06-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast