Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Liverbirds

It would be GREAT to have a third Liverbird on ground level to be viewed close up. What a GREAT idea!

What has become of your campaign? Will this go through?

Btw, graffiti date back even farther than Cromwell's days. The ones found in Pompeji are an important Vulgar Latin source for Romance linguists!

Blog Entries

A WEBSITE commemorating the 100th birthday of Liverpool?s most famous building has been set up for Capital of Culture year. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Sounds great Kev...Will there be any chance of people going up to the top?
    "Such Power Exists?"

I've contacted the Echo about this as the site address they gave doesn't work.

Hopefully they'll amend it soon, as I'm really looking forward to seeing this site
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    A WEBSITE commemorating the 100th birthday of Liverpool?s most famous building has been set up for Capital of Culture year. Read
    Replying to a few recent postings;
    I can't see any website either, just a reference to an Echo article. There certainly should be one, should now be gearing itself up to what should be its next major year, 2011, Year of the Liver Birds. They will be 100 years old, and this is a great reason for celebrating our one, true, unique icon.
    The year itself should be designated The Year of the Liver Birds.
    There should be a flock of them all round the place, on the scale of the Lambananas, same sort of size, same number, same system, same variety and plan.
    And of course the Third Liver Bird should really come into its own.

I don't know if it is still possible to get to the top of the Liver Building, but they certainly used to do Building Tours there, up in the express lift to the Promenade Deck level, to see the bells - well, the electronic chime bars, no bigger than the things you used to bong in school - but you still could not get close to the birds. When you got close to their perch, all you could see was part of a tail hanging over a bit.
    Even Barry, who was up there (great image!) could only see the Back of the Other Bird, which is why we need it at ground level. It would be tidier, because the size is the thing for that awesome feeling. It could be made of kevlar or such without nuts and bolts and rust.

My plan to have a Third Bird in place for 2008 was scuppered by Lewis Biggs of the Biennial Arts, and adviser to the City on all things artistic. My plan was passed to him by The Woollyback, and he then sat on it for a couple of years, and finally declared that The Liver Birds were "old" art, and that the City has got more than ebough Liver Birds as it is.

I am close to getting the Liverpool Tarts to be thoroughly well known, so then I hope to have the time and energy to have another go at my Third Bird, aiming for 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    This site still exists in May 2009, but links to it are broken in some directions. If you go to the Royal Liver own home page and follow the HISTORY link, it should bring up http://history.royalliverassurance.com/
    Not much that I could find about the Birds there.

[QUOTE=Merseyrose;147136]It would be GREAT to have a third Liverbird on ground level to be viewed close up. What a GREAT idea!

What has become of your campaign? Will this go through?

QUOTE]

Cross your fingers, MerseyRose; there are serious plans afoot in the new museum of Liverpool, to have a full-size representation of the Bird in the museum, just behind the big north window. This may be one wing & leg modelled in 3D, with the other wing painted on the nearby wall, but full-size is their definite aim. This would not be public art as such, nor a tourist attraction in its own right, but as a museum exhibit it may be as close as I am ever to get with my dream.

The Museum of Liverpool Liver Bird is (apparently) in place. Not as I had hoped, but more like a giant version of the city logo, but at least it will be full-size - 18-foot high!
    Also, keep pushing for the Everton Heights/Everton Park giant monument; Cllr Joe Anderson wants a gigantic Liver Bird that can be seen for miles., - something like the Angel of The North. We want THIS, and not some stupid "Tracy Emin" kind of thing.

And, finally, at long long last CARL BERNARD BARTELS is to made a "CITIZEN OF HONOUR" 0n 19th July this year 2011. After being wiped out of our city history books since 1914, his name and place are at last to be restored. See you at the Pier Head, 19th July !!

you can see it through end of building now..I took this a couple of days ago

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

bugger I put url in insert image, but I can't see it :/ that long since I've used a forum will try again
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Default Carl Bernard Bartels, Citizen of Honour

Thanks, quincyg, for getting that Museum of Liverpool Photo. I should have a scan of the photo in the Echo of some people standing inside, near the exhibit.

Great news is that CARL BERNARD BARTELS - the creator of our Liver Building Birds - will be proclaimed on TUES 19th JULY 2011 as a CITIZEN OF HONOUR. This is now definite, and should be in the news media on 2nd March. Please, please, report all sightings.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

I have found the scan of the Echo article and photo, but cannot understand what it's URL might be. Can anyone explain how I can insert or attach this jpeg to a Reply here?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345