Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WILSONS, FLOUR & A LORD MAYOR

Default WILSONS, FLOUR & A LORD MAYOR

I have recently discovered that my family, surname WILSON, were flour millers/dealers in the city some 100+ years ago ... also that my great uncle FRANK CAMPBELL WILSON was Lord Mayor in 1922/23. Can anyone add to this scant knowledge or point me towards some sources. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Wilson's Mill in Mill Street Liverpool 8. The mill is still there operating and under new owners. Lots of stuff on this forum about it. It was operating under the name Wilson until around 30-35 years ago, maybe even less. They were one of the last operators of steam trucks, up until about 1970.

Ged's web site Innercityliving
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

The mill can be seen here. The white concrete building to the right of the gas holder. The bottom of picture is filled in docks. The docks sheds can still be seen. The mill was served with grain from the huge nearby grain silo at Brunswick Dock.

The mill in 1907:

As a kid I recall the old mill being burnt down. Big fire!!!
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee2u View Post
    I have recently discovered that my family, surname WILSON, were flour millers/dealers in the city some 100+ years ago ... also that my great uncle FRANK CAMPBELL WILSON was Lord Mayor in 1922/23. Can anyone add to this scant knowledge or point me towards some sources. Thanks.
    How exciting for you !, family history is a wonderful (expensive) hobby !

Blog Entries

The Mill again:

how it once was?

There's a portrait of him and his wife (Lady Frances Campbell Wilson I think) in the main ballroom in the Town Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by julieoapw View Post
    There's a portrait of him and his wife (Lady Frances Campbell Wilson I think) in the main ballroom in the Town Hall.
    The plot thickens, because I had assumed he was a bachelor. 'Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress' would be the official titles I suppose, because he was not a Lord of the Realm to my knowledge. My cousin has found a vellum scroll bearing two large seals attached with ribbons (in a fitted red case) granting Frank Wilson a coat of arms. I need to study this more carefully, but I had assumed it is contemporary with him being Lord Mayor. My cousin also has a small quantity of corporation crockery bearing his monogram.

Would being Lord Mayor suggest he was involved with politics in the City?

The puzzling thing to me is that Frank Wilson was one of 16 children of my great-grandfather HENRY HOUGH WILSON who lived near Stockport, commuting daily to the Manchester commodity exchanges dealing in flour and associated products. Only 12 of the children survived to adulthood. I had assumed Frank Wilson was based over here too, so I had underestimated the strength of the Liverpool connection. I have not researched the family history in a serious way. The substantial family home in Offerton was sold and demolished before the second war, I assume on Henry Hough Wilson's death.

As a boy in the 1960s we occasionally visited Frank in an old peoples' home in Stockport. My mother used to take him bottles of Yates' Navy Rum which was his favourite tipple.

I shall try to get over to Liverpool to check out the portrait .... thanks very much for the tip.

I have also found out that a great aunt of mine launched a ship. We have found a ceremonial axe in a hardwood case, the axe inscribed:

"SHIP WESTGATE launched by EVA WILSON Jan 31st 1885 : R & J EVANS Ship-builders LIVERPOOL : Chadwick & Prichard Managing Owners"

She was one of FRANK CAMPBELL WILSON'S older siblings, and cannot have been more than a girl at the time.

How lovely to find out all this information !....well done

Blog Entries

Wilson's Mill is discussed and shown in the previous thread from Post#31 onwards. See link below.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...t=Yates+Street

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee2u View Post
    I have also found out that a great aunt of mine launched a ship. We have found a ceremonial axe in a hardwood case, the axe inscribed:

"SHIP WESTGATE launched by EVA WILSON Jan 31st 1885 : R & J EVANS Ship-builders LIVERPOOL : Chadwick & Prichard Managing Owners"

She was one of FRANK CAMPBELL WILSON'S older siblings, and cannot have been more than a girl at the time.
    WestGate abandoned off Nova Scotia in 1920. Her masts were cut down by the crew to prevent her capsizing after the ship's cargo of coal shifted at sea.

NY Times:
    http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...B266838B639EDE

All along the river frontage of the South end, from Stanhope street to where Herculaneum dock now is where the shipyards were located. Not far Wilson's Mill.

Evans would have been around where Brunswick Dock is now. The shipyards were forced to quit as the Dock Board only gave them short leases wanting the space to expand the docks for cargo unloarding and loading. The docks there today replaced the shipyards. One yard is still left, repairing small boats at Brunswick Dock.

how it once was?

Thanks for that ..... amazed you turned up the report of the wreck. Am finding some flaws in my understanding of the family tree which I'm tussling with at the moment ... will add more when I am quite sure of the facts

Dear Jaydee,
    I am a maritime historian from the US currently doing research in Liverpool. The subject of my research is the sailing ship WESTGATE built in 1885. I own an album of photographs taken of and on board the ship at San Francisco in 1903. I would like to publish the photographs along with the story of the ship. I'd be very interested in obtaining a photo of the launching axe, a photo of your great aunt taken around 1885, and some information about her. Norman Brouwer, Mystic, CT, USA nbsailship@aol.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by norman brouwer View Post
    Dear Jaydee,
    I am a maritime historian from the US currently doing research in Liverpool. The subject of my research is the sailing ship WESTGATE built in 1885. I own an album of photographs taken of and on board the ship at San Francisco in 1903. I would like to publish the photographs along with the story of the ship. I'd be very interested in obtaining a photo of the launching axe, a photo of your great aunt taken around 1885, and some information about her. Norman Brouwer, Mystic, CT, USA nbsailship@aol.com
    Look at this for links to US-Liverpool shipping:
    Confederate fleet

how it once was?

Default Description of portraits in Town Hall

It just occurred to me that I often photograph notices these days rather than write notes and I have just found these 2 pictures of the descriptions of the portrait of your Great-Uncle and his wife.

Hope they are of use.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrankWilsonpic.JPG 
Views:	524 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	16284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MrsWilson.JPG 
Views:	498 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	16285  

Joseph Wilson born about 1839 Ardwick in Lanc
    married Dec 1867 in West Derby Toxteth to Catherine Campbell Shearer born 16 Dec 1839 Thurso dau of William Shearer leather merchant of Janet Street Thurso and Barbara Campbell ( have tree)

Household:1881 census
    10 Pelham GroveCensus PlaceToxteth Park, Lancashire, England
    Family History Library Film 1341875
    Public Records Office Reference RG11Piece / Folio 3652 / 18Page Number 30

Joseph. WILSON Head M Male 39 Ardwick, Lancashire, England Miller & Corn Merchant
    Cathe.C. WILSON Wife M Female 39 Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
    children
    Frank C. WILSON Son Male 12 Stockport, Lancashire, England Scholar who went on to be Lord Mayor of Liverpool in the 1920's
    Barbara J. WILSON Daur Female 11 Stockport, Lancashire, England who when she died left a lots of money to a cats home
    Margaret Florence WILSON > Daur Female 9 L'Pool, Lancashire, England who died the last of then in 1962 left a £270,000 fortune outside the family
    Amy B. WILSON > Daur Female 5 L'Pool, Lancashire, England

Emily TWIST Serv U Female 21 B'Ham, Warwick, England Domestic Serv
    Anne GRIFFITHS Serv U Female 16 L'Pool, Lancashire, England Nurse Domestic Serv
    Source Information:
    A SECOND MARRIAGE.?
    1891 census transcription details for: Stoweleigh, Livingston Drive North, Toxteth Park, Liverpool
    National Archive Reference: RG number: RG12 Piece: 2940 Folio: 47 Page: 27

Stoweleigh, Livingston Drive North, Toxteth Park, Liverpool County: Lancashire
    WILSON, Joseph Head Married 49 born 1842 Miller & Corn Merchant Ardwick Lancashire
    WILSON, Anna W Wife Married 36 B 1855 Haughton Vale Lancashire Nr Manchester
    WILSON, Frank C Son Single 22 B 1869 Assistant Merchant Stockport Cheshire
    WILSON, Margaret Florence Dau Single 19 born 1872 Liverpool Lancashire
    WILSON, Josephine Dau 9 B1882 Liverpool Lancashire
    HILDITCH, Amelia Servant Single 26 b1865 Waitress Domestic HaslingtonCheshire
    KING, Sarah W Servant Single 27 b 1864 Cook Domestic Scotland
    CUSHION, Anne Servant Single 26 b 1865 Housemaid Domestic Hingham Norfolk

LATER BOUGHT Stokesay Hall Bidston Wirral
    The house was sold to developers after the last of the Wilsons died in 1962 and it no longer stands. "It had 12 chimneys" and had its own
    road leading to the door, now Stokesay Road. Apparently there may be images of the house held in what was the Birkenhead Town Hall,
    Hamilton Square, now a museum.
    Someone who lives in the Road called their home Stokesay after the main house. They said that the family was "huge" in the area.

POSS DEATH Mar 1895 Wilson Joseph age 50 Liverpool 8b72
    When Barbara Wilson died the rumour is she left about £250,000 to a cats home.
    Her sister Margaret Florence died in the 1960's her will revealed a substantial house and contents and a single main legatee.
    Dorice Stone ( sister of Selwyn Lloyd) who is thought to have been the old lady's companion . Dorice got the interest on bulk of the £270,000 estate along with other bequest to Shones. There was a court case contesting this but Dorice won and left the court saying 'your morally mine legally!!' Nice woman!
    The trust fund was wound up and £1,007 was shared between the family. Who got about £10 each.
    The auction of the house and contents was quite an event and the catalogue included 27 fur coats , a great many diamonds and other jewels, four luxury cars Bentleys etc and a house full of expensive furniture and effects. What happened to the proceeds I cannot remember but could find out if you are interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast