Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Churches of Liverpool

Default St Deiniol's Church, Windsor, Toxteth

This charming old church has been a second hand furniture store for at least 50 years. Originally it was built by the Church of England for services in Welsh for the local Welsh speaking population. It was a daughter church nearby St Nathaniel's

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Deiniols Upper Parliament St Liverpool.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	449.6 KB 
ID:	7573  

The interior of St Chads,Kirkby. Notice the difference in the pillars on each side. The story is that Kirkby tenants and Simonswood couldn`t agree which
    ones to have so they solved it by octagonal on the left and round ones on the right. Every Harvest Festival, Kirkby farmers decorated the left hand pillars and Simonswood the right. The church was started in 1869 using sandstone from the local quarries of Kirkby and Melling.
    Last edited by gregs dad; 07-28-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

John(Zappa)

Good pic and good info there GD

Default St John the Evangelist, Everton

Please, does anyone have a pic of St. John's, Everton? It stood on the corner of Richmond Terrace and Breck Road and was demolished in the 70's. I joined the choir 'there cos I fancied Dave Alderdice!!! I spent many great years there in the choir, Girl's Life Brigade etc, till we were shipped out to Huyton to a house with an inside loo. I've looked loads of places but haven't found a pic anywhere. I have, however, a nice print of Frank Green's, showing the church half demolished. If anyone can help, that'd be great.
    PS. Must've done something right - I'm still singing in a church choir even now. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by folkiesue View Post
    Please, does anyone have a pic of St. John's, Everton? It stood on the corner of Richmond Terrace and Breck Road and was demolished in the 70's. I joined the choir 'there cos I fancied Dave Alderdice!!! I spent many great years there in the choir, Girl's Life Brigade etc, till we were shipped out to Huyton to a house with an inside loo. I've looked loads of places but haven't found a pic anywhere. I have, however, a nice print of Frank Green's, showing the church half demolished. If anyone can help, that'd be great.
    PS. Must've done something right - I'm still singing in a church choir even now. :-)
    Try the Liverpool Record Office, they may have a photo. A further source might be the Church Congress Meetings that were held in Liverpool around the turn of the 20th C. The proceedings have photos of some now long gone churches. Again copies will be at the Record Office, Central Library, Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by folkiesue View Post
    I remember that church but I've never come across any pics of it.

This is the interior of St Francis Xaviers church in Salisbury St. There is an exhibition in there at present of relics such as Mary Queen of Scots prayer book,Thomas Moore`s hat and various other things.I was in there yesterday
    thought I`d look for my initials which I carved about 1949 but I think they have changed the pews since then.

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    [IMG]http//farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2753227044_6c99439f63_o.jpg[/IMG]
    This is the interior of St Francis Xaviers church in Salisbury St. There is an exhibition in there at present of relics such as Mary Queen of Scots prayer book,Thomas Moore`s hat and various other things.I was in there yesterday
    thought I`d look for my initials which I carved about 1949 but I think they have changed the pews since then.
    To think that this was another church that was going to be demolished along with many old buildings within the vicinity. It is only thanks to the Uni that purchased the building and spent money on it.

A fantastic pic of your fantastic old church GD.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks Ged. Here`s the 2 side altars of S F X Church

When I was a youngster - many moons ago - I went to St. Chrysostom's church...morning service, Sunday school and evening service every week. There always semed to be plenty to do there and lots of things to join. I think the Vicar I remember was called Bretherton and he often invited groups of us back to the vicarage for a bit of a social evening after the service. His wife always had home-made cakes and biscuits ready for us and I seem to recall the house was always warm. These days if a vicar invited children back to his home he'd be arrested

I think the church was demolished in the 1970's but I wonder if anyone has any pictures of it or can recommend a website.

Blog Entries
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Thanks robbo, that's really kind of you. I can see this is a very old picture, but it is still how I remember that lovely old church.

princes road synagogue

st nicholas,greek orthodox church ,princes road

st margarets on princes road

old welsh presbyterian church on princes road,roof is being repaired at the moment looks if it might be used again

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast