Thread: Marconi School in Seaforth

Default Marconi School in Seaforth

Hello

I research informations about the Marconi School in Seaforth Sands where Jack Phillips, Senior Wireless telegraphist on the RMS Titanic, had trained.

Thank you in advance.

(©) Dr K E Jones / Radio Officers Association

How interesting Nadine, I wasnt aware about that piece of history 2 miles from my doorstep.

Welcome to Yo,Nadine, hopefully someone on here, can help!

Apparently, at the time of the Titanic, the radio operators were not employed by the ship companies, but by the radio manufacturer.

Unfortuneately, Mr Phillips was not rescued.

From wiki...

Titanic

The two radio operators aboard the Titanic - Jack Phillips and Harold Bride - were not employed by the White Star Line but by the Marconi International Marine Communication Company. Following the sinking of the ocean liner, survivors were rescued by the Carpathia of the Cunard Line. When it docked in New York, Marconi went aboard with a reporter from the New York Times to talk with Bride, the surviving operator. On 18 June 1912, Marconi gave evidence to the Court of Inquiry into the loss of the Titanic regarding the marine telegraphy's functions and the procedures for emergencies at sea. Britain's postmaster-general summed up, referring to the Titanic disaster, "Those who have been saved, have been saved through one man, Mr. Marconi...and his marvelous invention."

So the school was probably operated by the Marconi International Marine Communication Company - the school location was given as Seaforth Barracks - perhaps radio operators for the army were also being trained?

Thank you. ;-)
    An ex Marconi Man sent me this map.
    I only know that the building (Cambridge Road) has gone and the area is now part of the Seaforth Container Terminal on Merseyside.

I would like to know more about Phillips and students's life in this school but it's difficult to have informations.

(©) Dr K E Jones/Radio Officers Association

Seaforth Barracks was situated at Rawson Road Seaforth, where probably the classrooom work for
    the telecomms lessons where held. Perhaps the practical side of the telecomms lessons being held on the coast in nearby seaforth sands.

I will post a pic of the old barracks when I get the hang of how to do it.

You are probably right. It stands to reason.
    Perhaps students also were sleeping at Seaforth Barracks because the Marconi School was very little.
    Sorry, I don't speak very well english.

'When anyone asks me how I can best describe my experiences of nearly 40 years at sea, I merely say 'uneventful'. I have never been in an accident of any sort worth speaking about. I never saw a wreck and have never been wrecked, nor was I ever in any predicament that threatened to end in disaster of any sort.'
    E.J. Smith, Captain of the RMS Titanic