Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Lark Lane Area

I think the church in the background on the 'cars' photo is Christ Church.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...=12,74.03,,0,5

HI KEITH ,I lived above the glass shop no 29 ( now the rhubarb pub) next door to Martins shop, the years i lived in the lane war time up to 1951,like u now in oz joe

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Yes birdeye i remember them now that you have mentioned them thats going back a long time must have been just after the war,and the copper directing trafic at the bottom of the lane standing in what looked like a big bin ,do you remember the bus shelter corner of livingston drive & lark lane lots of the old folk used to have a natter in it also quite warm as the sun used to shine in it winter time,my other memory was the big tree bottom left of the lane painted white during the war ,so you wouldn't bang into it,iworked as the order boy pulling the handcart from the coop on aigburth road also had a carrier byke they put a sack of spuds on the front carrier going to the ivanhoe hotel the spuds were heavyer than me it tipped up right at the bottom of parkfield rd and the copper p-----d himself laughing ,i have a picture of all the lads who used togo to christ church boys club corner of hesketh and the lane,so many memorys of the good old days of the lane ,next door to me was the Murrys family ,cheers joe in oz

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

yes i seem to remember drapers did you live down bickerton st ??? joe

Default Lark Lane 1900

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	larlane1.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	22005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	larlane2.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	22006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	larlane3.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	22007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	larlane4.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	22008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	larlane5.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	22009

Lark Lane businesses from the 1900 Liverpool directory. Some of those shown were still trading under the same name in the 50s and 60s.

Thank's Paddy6, Interesting to read. I lived in 7 Hadassah Grove in 1962-63, and drove taxi's out of Logans Garage (opp Hadassah Grove) can't remember what number it was though! left there in Sept 63 to come to NZ.

I can remember a car showroom next to what used to be the clinic Norm, maybe mid 60s. On Colin Wilkinson's Streets Of Liverpool site he's added a picture of a horsedrawn omnibus taken in the Lane in the 1890s. Would that be the same place shown behind the bus?

I think that would be right Paddy, I believe 'Marantz restaurant occupies the building now. Tha name 'Logans' was a name from years back!! but it was printed on the doors, chap who ran the garage when I was there was a Ken Mount'

Just had a look at Colin Wilkinson's pic, and Yes! the double wooden doors at the right of photo, (and rear of horse drawn bus) is the garage in question, very narrow! but went back quite a way! and still has rings and chains on the walls, which I believe was for horses stabled there in the past.
    Last edited by Norm NZ; 07-13-2011 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Additiona info.

KEITH are you any relation to Arthur Draper he used to go to THE CHRIST CHURCH CLUB ROOM with me and my brother Tom corner of Hesketh and the lane long time ago, Isent a photo of all the lads in the club to one of those sights in the lane and it was put on the web page now ive lost my copy im trying to get a copy ?our plce was facing down bickerton st no29 l lane,,me 83 the other side of oz HAVE now found foto Arthur right in the middle front row this was taken about 1945/6 he would be about 10/12 ish
    Last edited by joe scouse; 07-15-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: extra info

Default Lark Lane pubs.

A few interesting clippings from the Liverpool Mercury.

Name:	mercury 1868..jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	22104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercury 1871..,.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	22105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercury 1875.,.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	22107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LL3.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	22108

Name:	LL1.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	22099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LL2.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	22100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercury 1865..jpg 
Views:	581 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	22101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercury 1865.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	22102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercury 1866..jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	22103!

Keith i have picture with what i think maybe your Arthur taken with all the lads from christ church boys club corner of Hesketh st would be about 1944,45 hes about 9/10 yrs old ,I am also on it being in the group,send me a email address ,via this one jomo_loco@hotmail.com,me i'm over on the sunny side of oz w/a joe

RE the old bns if you look at the picture you will see they have alug on either side when the bin was empty it was lifted into a frame in the wall which had two slots were the lugs went in the bin was pushed forward it then dropped down and rested on its base with a tin lid in a permanent position ,in order to empty the bin the bin man had a lifting bdevice consisting of a metal tube,one inch approx diameter ,it had a piece of plate steel fitted to each end with a hook like shape which was pushed through a gap locating the lug on either side the bin was snatched, upward and forward in one movement then ending up sitting on its base sticking out of the frame next job was to lift it down ,mind you it could be heavy at times in my day i only saw them emtying the rubbish into baskets putting it on the shoulder and taking it out to the horse and bin cart (mind you the poor buggers didnt have much rubbish if it could be burnt they used it for heating)if i may digress we used to go around peoples bins with long wire hooks trying to find any rags so that we could get a penny of the rag man or a gold fish, the other thing we did was have a spoon flattend tied to a stick about 4 foot long and go around the shops ect that had a big grid covering under the windows for ventilation for the basemet we got many a penny or two lifting them up with our flattend spoons ) happy days before the war in the dingle ,dont think the north end kids had the nouse like us dingle kids HO HO JOE / SEE DAVEC PICTURE ON ITEM 138 OF BINS o

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

REA
    Last edited by joe scouse; 07-20-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: more info

Blog Entries

Default Bins.

These bins were unique to liverpool. They were designed by the city engineer'e office & were intended to offer ease of use & be removed from the wall without disterbing the household.
    They had a flaw though, it didn't take long for the local thieves to get their hands on the magic key, and they were in the the house in a jiffy.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011