Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lark Lane Area

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    The Masonic definately has a better paint job.
    Has?

Do you like it as it is now?

Let's have a vote!

I said the Masonic had a better paint job.

I would of said Negresgo otherwise.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    Hardly went to the Lark Lane pubs actually cos at the time my mates were living up by Smithdown Rd so I always went up to there instead. T'was a great place to live, except trying to get across the racetrack into Sefton Park each day

You have brought back a few memories. I used to live in Thorneycroft Road off Smithdown. At the end of my street was a pub (we called it the 'Little House') I used to play the 12 string guitar in there and sing, or try to.
    Also in the Willow bank, The Woodcroft and the Royal.
    The whole of Smithdown road had a superb atmosphere > From the Newstead at the top, to the Vines was a magic trip.

I still get to the Willow Bank every now and then, and Kelly's Dispensary. Tis a shame so many places going towards town have closed down, not just the pubs but all the shops too

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I said the Masonic had a better paint job.

I would of said Negresgo otherwise.

Whew!

Actually, Max, you said "has", but you've edited it now!

Nah, I've kept It as has.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    I still get to the Willow Bank every now and then, and Kelly's Dispensary. Tis a shame so many places going towards town have closed down, not just the pubs but all the shops too
    We were commenting on this the other day - on how many pubs are closing down. You see loads of them on your travels - boarded up and some completely derelict.
    Some pubs which you thought you'd never see disappear have closed.

Wondering why this is happening ?? Is it because not as many are using pubs? I know lots of people are drinking at home now. Could the smoking ban be aggravating the demise? Not bring up the smoking debate again - but I do know of people who are staying at home because of it.

The other reason people are not using local pubs so much is that some main roads have become virtual no-go areas because asbo gangs have commandered the areas and are hanging around in packs. This does make some people think twice about taking a stroll across to their local.

Probably is to do with that, I've seen more dodgy goings-on at the far end of Smithdown Rd where everywhere's shutting down than the other end.

I suppose it gets itself into a vicious circle too. One or two places close down for whatever reason, the empty buildings get tatty and there's less people in the area so the neighbouring pubs/shops suffer, then they go, etc.
    Last edited by iain; 05-20-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL star Daniel Agger is set to make his mark in the culinary world after buying two Liverpool restaurants. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Does the Mexican bar he bought actually have any Mexicans In It?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Did I hear Mexico?
    I've lived in Mexico for 35 years, wife's Mexican and all my kids were born here.
    Tomorrow is Independence Day and after dark the local town centre will be full of thousands of happy people in big Mexican sombreros, blowing horns & hooters, waving flags, dancing, drinking tequila and eating tacos, throwing confetti filled eggs, and real eggs, and bags of flour (especially at people they don't know), and using those ****ed foam aerosols.
    The following morning the town will be like a ghost town--everyone tired, and hungover.

Steven

Sounds like my kind of place > Gets the next plane out

Default Lark Lane Farmers' Market

don't forget, it's the monthly farmers' market this coming Saturday- 22nd Sept in Lark Lane.

http://www.larklane.com/farmersmarket/

It's alway a good one at Lark Lane, as is the Woolton one which is every 2nd Sat. of the month.

Blog Entries

Couple settle Amorous Cat bookshop into its third home

Oct 9 2007 by Vicky Anderson, Liverpool Daily Post

Amorous Cat Bookshop, Lark Lane......

Lark Lane’s reputation as a bohemian corner of Liverpool has been firmed up with the return of an old favourite. Vicky Anderson has been to find out what it is.

WHILE chain stores offer endless floors of bestsellers, celebrity signings and three-for-twos, it is the image of the cosy second-hand book shop that really captures the affections of those looking for the perfect read.

It’s a dying trade, that much is true – the number of second-hand bookshops in the city can be counted on one hand – but one South Liverpool couple have managed to buck the trend and have re-launched their business.

The Amorous Cat on Lark Lane has re-opened after six years of existing as an on-line resource only.

Proprietors Jan and Ron Sear have moved up and down the lane over the years, but it is only now in retirement that the couple have had the time to set up shop once more.

They say the move has only been possible as they have bought the premises outright, believing it would be impossible for a small business to survive otherwise.

Mrs Sear said: “Because we are older, we are in the position where we can afford to take the risk.

“Our main aim is to sell good literature, encourage children to read, and serve the local community. This place has a lot of potential and we’re just going to see how it goes.”

The couple first opened Lark Lane Books in 1980 before Mr Sear returned to his career in engineering.

It later became The Amorous Cat, for which number 47 is its third home on the same street.

Following Mr Sear’s retirement from full-time work as a lecturer in electronics and computing at Skelmersdale College, they decided to open up once more.

Mrs Sear still works as an English Literature lecturer for the Open University.

The shop’s unusual name holds no great significance to the couple, who say they just pondered words that might have an impact in business.

Stocking more than 12,000 books over two floors, the Sears don’t regret opening again in a time of uncertainty for many other shops of this kind.

“It’s a very bizarre business to say the least,” Mr Sear said with affection.

“It is almost like recycling books.

“People will come in asking for something from their childhood, and that’s what people like buying, nostalgia. That’s something we have that the chains don’t.”

Mrs Sear added: “Part of the beauty of second-hand bookshops is finding the hidden treasures, rather than being told what to read.”

They hope The Amorous Cat will soon host reading and poetry groups as well as a possible late-night opening to appeal to more passers-by.
    It is now open from 10.30am to 5.30pm from Wednesday to Saturday and on Sunday afternoons.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast