Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Lark Lane Area

Default Dave Foley !!

Hello mikerux, yes Dave and I were in a band in the sixties (The Nocturns) the last time I saw him was at my wedding in 1967 dont know what happened to him although he was in the army at the time,By the way what is your name as I must know you. Cheers Keith.

Keith-I went to primary and G.S school with Dave.I had cousins who lived on Linnet lane.I can remember using the shed at the back of Dave Foleys-and playing on the water tank at the back of the Mayfair.I think the last time I saw you or your name was mentioned was at a cousin of mines party in Walkers Lane Penketh in the late1960's or early 70's.Cant remember if you were there or if it was one of your mates.I married a St Michaels girl from Burdett street who you may remember one of three sisters and a brother.She lived a few doors away from Les Chadwick who was in Gerry and the Pacemakers-I think he is in Australia as well.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Mikerux; 04-07-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kdraper42 View Post
    Hi its me again, the shop that Joe Scouse mentions was run by a family called Martins ( corner of Sydley Street) the shop that they had in Lark lane was a brick a brack shop. I remember when I was about 12-14 yrs old going every Saturday to the Silver blades ice rink Kensington, with a girl from Hesketh street , and one day looking in the window of the forsaid shop in Lark Lane a pair of iceskates for sale !!! albeit in beige !! obviously a girls pair of skates, but I wanted them !! the asking price was if I remember 16 shillings, well I went home and told my mum about them , well she said no at first , but in the end I won her over and off I went to buy these skates, I took them home and my mum dyed them for me to a navy blue, although they did get too small for me after about 2 months, but it did save on hiring skates from the rink. Oh so many memories. Cheers Keith.
    Went to Kenny ice rink once. Me bum is still soggy!

Default Lark Lane

Never set foot in the Lark Lane area when I was a lad in Liverpol but I've
    thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. I'm fully aware that you can't hold
    back the passage of time but sincerely hope that you all manage to keep
    the essential spirit of the place. It was a pleasure to read your posts.
    Good luck Stan H;

Hello mikerux, yes I must know you , but just cant put a face to your name, by the way what was your wifes maiden name? and it was me who took Les Chadwick to join Gerry and the Pacemakers , as I was supposed to have joined them , but I was playing with another band and didnt like letting them down so I took Les along to Gerries, and as they say the rest is history, the story of my life !! although we didnt do to bad as we went into the musical Maggie May, our manager at the time was Alun Williams( the man who gave the Beatles away ha ha ) Oh so many memories cheers Keith.

I forgot to mention that I did live in Penketh at that time so I could have been there, It was our first house after getting married 1967. Cant say that I remember it , Cheers once again Keith.

Default I think i do know him....

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    Do any of you remember Robbo the punk ?, He was a familiar site down the lane with his dog & his skateboard.

Karen
    Hi Karen.

I do remember a guy who you have mentioned , he usually had his hair done Moheecan style , it was big and blonde and he was the only guy in Liverpool who was dressed like that way back then, he also used to have a davy crockett coat with all the tassles on the back and down the arms, he was also at the time a roadie for Susie and the banshees and the Teardrop explodes. I lost touch with him around 1982 as i left Liverpool to get a job down south ( and have been there ever since ) , for what its worth i would love to get in touch with him again , we used to hang out at a mutual mates house in Greenheys road just at the bottom of Lodger lane , there was a house there that was occupied by a guy who used to have two huge st bernard dogs , he was connected to the punk scene somehow and thats how i knew him , he also had another mate who was a full on punk who`s name was known as stretch.... he was a small guy in stature but he had a big reputation amongst his mates .

Get back to me if this is the guy you mean Karen.

Mike.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kdraper42 View Post
    Hello mikerux, yes I must know you , but just cant put a face to your name, by the way what was your wifes maiden name? and it was me who took Les Chadwick to join Gerry and the Pacemakers , as I was supposed to have joined them , but I was playing with another band and didnt like letting them down so I took Les along to Gerries, and as they say the rest is history, the story of my life !! although we didnt do to bad as we went into the musical Maggie May, our manager at the time was Alun Williams( the man who gave the Beatles away ha ha ) Oh so many memories cheers Keith.
    I knew Allan Williams. He was a mate of my Uncle Charlie's. I worked for my uncle when I was 14 - 16, during weekends and holidays. We'd often call in to see Allan during the day. It paid off a few years later when I started going to clubs, as I could always get into the Blue Angel for free.

Hiya Mike ,
    Yeah your description is Robbo alright ,
    I may well have met you at some point as i also remember going to a party at Robbo's flat & Toyah Wilcox was there ( hope i've got her name right , she was very small with a lisp lovely girl ) i always pressumed she was his girlfriend , I think his flat at that point was around Marmion Rd . waverley Rd area. Last i heard Robbo was into publishing some eerie comic/magazine about grave yards , i think it was for an American comic ,
    Although i was never into the punk scene you couldn't help but love Robbo , remember the 1st time i met him i thought Jeeezzzus what's this ! .

Do you remember an Irish lad Skully , lived above a shop in the la, he went on to do the lighting in Brookie then Hollyoaks , ?
    Lovely " chattin " to you hun .
    take care
    luv
    Karen xx

Default The sixties

The Lark Lane I recall was back in the sixties. I lived on Linnet Lane and had a paper round for Killeys at the bottom of the Lane facing the police station. In those days you could drive into the Lane of Aigburth Road. There was a caf? in the middle of the Lane called Joes and for a shilling you could buy a cup of tea and two toast. They always played Scot Mc Kenzie and the Kinks plus of course the Beatles. That was the hang out on Saturday mornings. In those days it was already bed-sit land yet there were some quite opulent households, my round could be quite heavy. The park was always a venue for football. I remember a lad called Alex Bradley he was a fantastic footballer and really nice lad. I know he got run over on Aigburth Road in the eighties that was very sad. Sundays in summer the Lane got quite busy as everyone got of the bus at the Mayfair that was a short stretch to the park. We would go to the Mayfair and one would pay and open the fire escape door then we would pile in. Saw the movie Midnight Cowboy and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for free! The cop shop was a bit of a standing joke as it was always deserted. They got a bit of business on Bank Holidays with fights in the park but most of the time it was a very quiet place. Mr. Killey was a very decent man and he never complained about how long it took me to do my paper round, which was really quite long owing to my dawdling. Lark Lane in those days was a very laid back quiet community and most people knew each other. Most people knew me and would say hello. I think it has changed a lot since those golden sunny days.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Default Lark Lane.

'The Lane' certainly was a quiet place when I lived there in the early 60's! My wife and I rented a house in Hadassah Grove, and I drove taxi's out of Logans Garage (now Marantz restaurant, I think!) that was prior to our leaving for NZ in 1963. It was so quiet I can't remember us knowing any of our neighbours!!!

Default Lark Lane

I once had lodgings myself on Hadassah Grove with a Mrs Turton she was also my mates mum.You have been gone along time Norm!

Dylan Thomas

Do you know Benny who owned the garage in Hesketh St ,
    My uncle had a little Antique shop next to what is now Marranto's ,
    I loved the La in the 80's .

Karen

I dont know Benny but I recall the shop with coins and stamps in the window!
    I have to go for now folks!

Dylan Thomas

Default Lark Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I once had lodgings myself on Hadassah Grove with a Mrs Turton she was also my mates mum.You have been gone along time Norm!
    "Too true Paddy!" The house we rented was No 7, owned by a Mr & Mrs Garvey, they had a shop in Kennsington, and they found it more convenient to live over the shop, we were there for about two to three years, we left for NZ in Sept of 63. Cheers Mate

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast