Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: St. John's House, St John's Lane.

Eh !
    I remember getting double at the end ....
    You never got the last pay packet then Ged ?

Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Debra

All this careers stuff is coming back to me now , my friend and i were sent to some awful places ..
    A pillow stuffing factory off Scottie , there were feathers everywhere , we never even attempet to go inside ..
    A jam factory in Toxteth ..
    A furniture shop on County road , i think it was called Kelly's , the man asked me to write down my name and address , and promptly gave me a job doing the accounts , i was in group three for maths , that was the learning difficuly group , there was only about six of in it ... I had no idea what to do with the colums of figures he put in front of me ... The man who owned the place was a little too obliging in hanging over me , by the way he was helping .... Creep ! I left after a week ..
    My next job was with an upholster of 'loose covers' in Rodney street , i lasted a morning with him ...
    I finally ended up working in Karps , in Greek street ..
    I cant believe how easy it was for us to walk in and out of a job back then !!

George

I cant believe how easy it was for us to walk in and out of a job back then !!
    Yup,beggars could be choosers...

Erm! let me see now....

Grocery delivery boy on a bike.
    Crate stacker in Full Swing Lemonade(Edmondsons).
    Cooks Pantry assistant on the IOM boats.
    Oven attendant at Sayers Lorenzo Drive.
    Cooks Pantry assistant on IOM boats again.
    Electronics course.
    Electricians Mate.
    Wiring houses fro an Electrician

Oh I give up...lost track of goin in and out of a job.

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Yup,beggars could be choosers...

Erm! let me see now....

Grocery delivery boy on a bike.
    Crate stacker in Full Swing Lemonade(Edmondsons).
    Cooks Pantry assistant on the IOM boats.
    Oven attendant at Sayers Lorenzo Drive.
    Cooks Pantry assistant on IOM boats again.
    Electronics course.
    Electricians Mate.
    Wiring houses fro an Electrician

Oh I give up...lost track of goin in and out of a job.
    I know what you mean about losing track George , later you'll think .. 'oh yeah' i did that too ..
    We were quite lucky when i think back ...

I bet you the pillow stuffing place was' Down and Bedding' on one of those side streets between Scotty and Vauxy. My brother in law worked there. I started off working for CVR Engineering on Virgil Street. A big massive garage that fixed lorries, next to LF Briggs. It was the worst 6 months for working down watery pits with freezing cold spanners - Autumn and Winter 1978. The radio blaring out the music was all full of Saturday night fever and Grease with the odd 'Darlin' by Franky Miller and 'You can thank your lucky stars' by Dean Friedman. It's funny how you can remember where you were or what you were doing by the songs that were out. We used to have to put our boots in the oven on a monday morning after a cold weekend - they'd feel wet it was so cold. As the new kid on the block, my turn for warming my boots up would come last in the pecking order. How embarrassing when on my first day, about 11am I heard 'Gerrrreed'. Only my ma coming in with my butties that i'd forgotten. For the rest of the lads, I'd be sent down to sayers on Greaty for their dinners and would have to come back with a cardboard box full and remembering all the change.

I also worked in the Merseyside Youth Association at 86/88 Sheil Road with Alan Skelly, Jim Harrison and Miss Pridgeon. It was ok there - collating the scores and league tables for all of Liverpools youth clubs various games such as table tennis, football, pool etc. It was never going to be a long term job though and one of the blokes there got me a job in Quiggins, Renshaw Street when it was a hardware shop. Very Dickensian. Old shelves full of screws, bolts, nails, door handles and the big boss upstairs in his wood lined office like old Scrooge himself. I think it's the shop that is 69A now. George was the manager there and he went to Campbell and Mabbs on Victoria Street when it finished. I think thats when I got the St Johns House job.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

George

I think it's the shop that is 69A now. George was the manager there and he went to Campbell and Mabbs on Victoria Street when it finished.

I've never worked there in me life,Geds tellin porkies.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

haha

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Nice story Ged.
    Excellent. Nice to see my mums place mentioned too.

Hi Debra, any more info' on the feather factory? I was recently told by someone that they worked there....when they were 13!?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I've never worked there in me life,Geds tellin porkies.
    Jacky Gunnion and Ged have the proof!!

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Hi Debra, any more info' on the feather factory? I was recently told by someone that they worked there....when they were 13!?
    Hi Steve . no me and my friend seen all the feathers in the street , and turned around and got the bus back home ...

I remember back in the early 70s my friend worked in St Johns House in some sort of office. I remember going to meet her in there, I distinctly remember the turreted part.

Debra

I recall working in Vernons on Stopgate lane , we were still at school then , but told them we were sixteen , we worked Saturdays , sortiing out the football coupons ..
    And we worked in Mr Hunts fruit shop County Road , during the school holiday's ..

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I recall working in Vernons on Stopgate lane , we were still at school then , but told them we were sixteen , we worked Saturdays , sortiing out the football coupons ..
    And we worked in Mr Hunts fruit shop County Road , during the school holiday's ..
    I worked in Vernons Stopgate Lane, but I worked full time, in the mid to late 70s or about. Moved over to Courthey later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    Hi Steve . no me and my friend seen all the feathers in the street , and turned around and got the bus back home ...
    Never mind,sounded a bit dodgy,even if she did lie about her age!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast