Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Riddle of the Hanging Boy 1946

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Max

It sounds to me like a retread of Richard Whittington Egan's old writings but it is nevertheless described as a "new" book of 2002, viz (in a description on ABE books):

Chris
    Hi guys
    The stories that are included in Liverpool Echoes and Liverpool Shadows are not in any of Whittington Egans 1960's books.
    I think, personally, that they are probably stories he maybe had written earlier but only published after he died? just a guess

He's still alive !

MissInformed

IS HE?????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    IS HE?????????????????
    Yip ! He's about 87 now. Would be nice to get someone like that on here for a webchat but I guess he doesn't have a computer and the mind might be willing but the fingers may not be. Perhaps we could organise a webchat with him via Royal Mail: a 'postchat'

Hi AntiPathos & MissInformed

I have corresponded with Mr Whittington Egan but have not met him in person. His upcoming massive book on the Ripper case is sure to be a classic. I don't believe he is on the internet.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

MissInformed

Hi AntiPathos & MissInformed

I have corresponded with Mr Whittington Egan but have not met him in person. His upcoming massive book on the Ripper case is sure to be a classic. I don't believe he is on the internet.

Chris
    wow Chris! I am oh soooo jealous.... Mr Whittington Egan is my hero...
    Can't wait for his Ripper book Chris!
    I can't find much on him on the net at all...

Hi MissInformed

Did you see this URL for another new book of his, SPEAKING VOLUMES: Over Ninety Essays from Forty Years as a Literary Journalist, which seems to be a compendium of his past writings--

http://www.cappella.demon.co.uk/examine/volumes.html

-- there are sample pages from the book that you can access. I understand from Ripperologist Stewart P. Evans who knows RWE that Richard's grandfather was a well known surgeon in Liverpool who dined with the Maybricks.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

MissInformed

Hi MissInformed

Did you see this URL for another new book of his, SPEAKING VOLUMES: Over Ninety Essays from Forty Years as a Literary Journalist, which seems to be a compendium of his past writings--

http://www.cappella.demon.co.uk/examine/volumes.html

-- there are sample pages from the book that you can access. I understand from Ripperologist Stewart P. Evans who knows RWE that Richard's grandfather was a well known surgeon in Liverpool who dined with the Maybricks.

Chris
    wow chris, that's a brilliant link, thanks very much for that.
    I just think the man is a genius. He, alone, gave me the passion and interest for local history and also mysteries.

I will definitely be getting that book.

I have read somewhere in one of his books about his grandfather having a Maybrick connection. Quite amazing really!

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    I just think the man is a genius. He, alone, gave me the passion and interest for local history and also mysteries.
    MissInformed, like you I was inspired to search out local history because of him. I remember when I was about 13 or 14 getting his Liverpool Dosier series of books and was inspired.

I think his books should be compulsory to read at Liverpool schools - would teach that Liverpool history can be exciting and filled with mystery

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by ScouseLad View Post
    MissInformed, like you I was inspired to search out local history because of him. I remember when I was about 13 or 14 getting his Liverpool Dosier series of books and was inspired.

I think his books should be compulsory to read at Liverpool schools - would teach that Liverpool history can be exciting and filled with mystery
    I am completely with you there!!
    Absolutely brilliant idea!

Yes, the others could be used in the 'fiction' section though

A lot of hangings are sexual escapades gone wrong. The person can receive a sexual rush from restricting oxygen to the brain but sometimes the person is unable to get out of the noose before it kills them.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    That's true.
    Michael Hutchence out of INXS springs to mind, but surely that kind of activity wouldn't be known in those times, and not by an 11 year old.
    Hi Philip

We may never get to the bottom of the circumstances under which the 11-year-old boy hanged himself. However, I would point out that if the boy hanged himself while experimenting, even if the act was not overtly a sexual exploit, he could have done it "to see how it feels." There were a number of reports from around the world of children and teenagers who hanged themselves following Saddam Hussein's execution. And of course in 1946 when the hanging boy incident occurred, judicial hangings took place on a regular basis in the United Kingdom.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

MissInformed

This indeed is one of those mysteries that I think will go on and on. What makes it more strange is the burglary on the same night.
    Also, anything that involves a child being killed is always a little more macabre I think

DaisyChains

Is this house to be demolished with the others in Edge Lane?

Default Relative!

Hi, this was my relative. My grandad's half / step brother (not sure which). Never knew there was so much interest! Would be cool to talk to people who know more about it as I live in Liverpool now. Take care, Ruth x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast