YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riddle of the Hanging Boy 1946

MissInformed

Default Riddle of the Hanging Boy 1946

I first read about this in Whittington Egans book 'Liverpool Shadows'.

ADVERTISING

Charles Greeney, 11, was found hanging in his kitchen in Edge Lane, whilst his parents were out.

The strange coincedence was that the house was also burgled that night, but none of the burglars were found guilty.As it didn't seem they had done it.

Any thoughts/ideas anyone?

Thanks

Rose Heilbron defended the four accused and got them off on two counts - that the hanging was a experiment gone wrong as Charles has been reading a book about knots earlier and there were no signs of a struggle.

I can understand the knots argument but as to the struggle there wouldnt be one if all 4 simultaneously got hold of him to hang him. However, if they killed Charles to silence him over a burglary why go to the bother of constructing a noose? Better to bludgeon him to death surely?

My thoughts are that it was a tragic accident, the burglars had gone into the property knowing his parents were out (wrongly assuming nobody else would be home) and got the fright of their lives when they saw Charles hanging.

MissInformed

Just found a pic on tom slemens forum http://www.slemen.com

of the actual house- 62 Edge Lane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greeney_house 62 edge lane.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	760  

theninesisters

I'm SURE that's the house that I had a mooch around on the outside when I was taking snaps of the Edge Lane area. The side road is Dorothy Street as I parked up there.

I wanted to see if my car attracted any attention before I left it there for a while but as it's an Ex-police car, it wasn't touched

It's at the end of the block on the pic below.
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 06:59 PM.

theninesisters

I have another pic of the house....on the list to be demolished....

Not if Jona has anything to do with it....
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    I first read about this in Whittington Egans book 'Liverpool Shadows'.

Charles Greeney, 11, was found hanging in his kitchen in Edge Lane, whilst his parents were out.

The strange coincedence was that the house was also burgled that night, but none of the burglars were found guilty.As it didn't seem they had done it.

Any thoughts/ideas anyone?
    A lot of hangings are sexual escapades gone wrong. The person can receive a sexual rush from restricting oxygen to the brain but sometimes the person is unable to get out of the noose before it kills them.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Thanks

Is that Egan book the old 60's one?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    A lot of hangings are sexual escapades gone wrong. The person can receive a sexual rush from restricting oxygen to the brain but sometimes the person is unable to get out of the noose before it kills them.

Chris
    That's true.
    Michael Hutchence out of INXS springs to mind, but surely that kind of activity wouldn't be known in those times, and not by an 11 year old.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Is that Egan book the old 60's one?
    Hi Max

It sounds to me like a retread of Richard Whittington Egan's old writings but it is nevertheless described as a "new" book of 2002, viz (in a description on ABE books):

The Bluecoat Press. 2002. softcover ISBN: 1904438059, 2002. This book, and its companion volume 'Liverpool Echoes', represent unfinished business - Richard's last literary sojourn to the city he loves so well. In his own words, he 'wanted to scatter a few more feathers of memory.hence this book.' Belonging as he did, to Liverpool's wealthy elite, he enjoyed a perspective which was denied to the majority, and it is all the more fascinating for that. But despite moving in such elevated circles for much of his life, his interest and sympathies are with humanity in all its forms, and this comes across strongly in his work. 'Liverpool Shadows' contains heroes aplenty - from Dr. Duncan, the Plague Doctor, to the valiant escapees from the doomed submarine, 'Thetis' - but they are probably outnumbered by the villains: a veritable rogues' gallery from the vast underbelly of the city, as well as those whose crimes were once cloaked in respectability, such as the slave traders and slum landlords the book is a celebration of Liverpool's wonderful diversity and is a befitting swansong for one of Liverpool's greatest advocates. 190pp.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    That's true.
    Michael Hutchence out of INXS springs to mind, but surely that kind of activity wouldn't be known in those times, and not by an 11 year old.
    Hello Philip

You might well be right. There is however a book on this phenomenon titled, Autoerotic Asphyxiation: Forensic, Medical, and Social Aspects by Sergey Sheleg and Edwin Ehrlich (August 2006). The authors state:

'Adelson (1973) considered autoerotic fatalities 'a unique group of accidental hangings involving young boys between the ages nine and fourteen or fifteen.'"

Possibly we, the society at large, are largely ignorant of what some pre-teen and teenage boys know and do?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Gnomie

the actual house- 62 Edge Lane
    My friend lived here a few years back Ive been a few parties there

MissInformed

oohhh any pics of the interior gnomie?

Gnomie

No sorry. i will ask him if he has any, he is living in Reading now.

theninesisters

oohhh any pics of the interior gnomie?
    If I can find a way in there will be

MissInformed

cool!

MissInformed

Hi Max

It sounds to me like a retread of Richard Whittington Egan's old writings but it is nevertheless described as a "new" book of 2002, viz (in a description on ABE books):

Chris
    Hi guys
    The stories that are included in Liverpool Echoes and Liverpool Shadows are not in any of Whittington Egans 1960's books.
    I think, personally, that they are probably stories he maybe had written earlier but only published after he died? just a guess

Thanks

He's still alive !

MissInformed

IS HE?????????????????

Thanks

IS HE?????????????????
    Yip ! He's about 87 now. Would be nice to get someone like that on here for a webchat but I guess he doesn't have a computer and the mind might be willing but the fingers may not be. Perhaps we could organise a webchat with him via Royal Mail: a 'postchat'

Thanks

Hi AntiPathos & MissInformed

I have corresponded with Mr Whittington Egan but have not met him in person. His upcoming massive book on the Ripper case is sure to be a classic. I don't believe he is on the internet.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

MissInformed

Hi AntiPathos & MissInformed

I have corresponded with Mr Whittington Egan but have not met him in person. His upcoming massive book on the Ripper case is sure to be a classic. I don't believe he is on the internet.

Chris
    wow Chris! I am oh soooo jealous.... Mr Whittington Egan is my hero...
    Can't wait for his Ripper book Chris!
    I can't find much on him on the net at all...

Thanks

Hi MissInformed

Did you see this URL for another new book of his, SPEAKING VOLUMES: Over Ninety Essays from Forty Years as a Literary Journalist, which seems to be a compendium of his past writings--

http://www.cappella.demon.co.uk/examine/volumes.html

-- there are sample pages from the book that you can access. I understand from Ripperologist Stewart P. Evans who knows RWE that Richard's grandfather was a well known surgeon in Liverpool who dined with the Maybricks.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

MissInformed

Hi MissInformed

Did you see this URL for another new book of his, SPEAKING VOLUMES: Over Ninety Essays from Forty Years as a Literary Journalist, which seems to be a compendium of his past writings--

http://www.cappella.demon.co.uk/examine/volumes.html

-- there are sample pages from the book that you can access. I understand from Ripperologist Stewart P. Evans who knows RWE that Richard's grandfather was a well known surgeon in Liverpool who dined with the Maybricks.

Chris
    wow chris, that's a brilliant link, thanks very much for that.
    I just think the man is a genius. He, alone, gave me the passion and interest for local history and also mysteries.

I will definitely be getting that book.

I have read somewhere in one of his books about his grandfather having a Maybrick connection. Quite amazing really!

Thanks

I just think the man is a genius. He, alone, gave me the passion and interest for local history and also mysteries.
    MissInformed, like you I was inspired to search out local history because of him. I remember when I was about 13 or 14 getting his Liverpool Dosier series of books and was inspired.

I think his books should be compulsory to read at Liverpool schools - would teach that Liverpool history can be exciting and filled with mystery

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by ScouseLad View Post
    MissInformed, like you I was inspired to search out local history because of him. I remember when I was about 13 or 14 getting his Liverpool Dosier series of books and was inspired.

I think his books should be compulsory to read at Liverpool schools - would teach that Liverpool history can be exciting and filled with mystery
    I am completely with you there!!
    Absolutely brilliant idea!

Thanks

Yes, the others could be used in the 'fiction' section though

Thanks

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    That's true.
    Hi Philip

We may never get to the bottom of the circumstances under which the 11-year-old boy hanged himself. However, I would point out that if the boy hanged himself while experimenting, even if the act was not overtly a sexual exploit, he could have done it "to see how it feels." There were a number of reports from around the world of children and teenagers who hanged themselves following Saddam Hussein's execution. And of course in 1946 when the hanging boy incident occurred, judicial hangings took place on a regular basis in the United Kingdom.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

MissInformed

This indeed is one of those mysteries that I think will go on and on. What makes it more strange is the burglary on the same night.
    Also, anything that involves a child being killed is always a little more macabre I think

DaisyChains

Is this house to be demolished with the others in Edge Lane?

Thanks

Default Relative!

Hi, this was my relative. My grandad's half / step brother (not sure which). Never knew there was so much interest! Would be cool to talk to people who know more about it as I live in Liverpool now. Take care, Ruth x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast