Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Grave in Old Swan

Down Lockerby Rd. off Kenny, there used to be a monastery and a Nunnery (?) on opposite sides of the road that ran along the bottom. Sometime pre war a tunnel was found connecting the two and a great many babies bodies were discovered. I don't think that a there was a great commotion made of this at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymac View Post
    Down Lockerby Rd. off Kenny, there used to be a monastery and a Nunnery (?) on opposite sides of the road that ran along the bottom. Sometime pre war a tunnel was found connecting the two and a great many babies bodies were discovered. I don't think that a there was a great commotion made of this at the time.
    Hmmmm. I don't know but could that be similar to the scandal that surfaced in the Republic of Ireland about the unwed mothers sent to convent laundries that was portrayed in the movie Magdalen Sisters? With Liverpool's large Catholic population possibly something secretive was done about babies born to unmarried girls, to dispose of their bodies? Interesting.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymac View Post
    my grandmother told me that exact story

There must have been some truth in it then ???

.. and she told me something similar about the Notre Dame - and 'goings on !!'

All of these urban "myths" are exactly that, MYTHS and were based on Liverpool's past, very sectarian, culture. I have heard the same story about the convent that once stood on Copperas Hill and St. Nick's also Notre Dame convent on Mount Pleasant. The latest one I heard about was in the early sixties when the sisters of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary occupied St. Augustine's at the corner of Great Howard Street and Chisinale Street. Rumour had it that it was an abortion facility for rich Irish and English catholic girls, and nuns who had been impregnated by priests. And there was me thinking that priest only liked little boys!

I think these tales fit neatly into the category of the Mariah Monk type sectarian slander. You know, just like the WMD that Blair was fond on quoting.

There certainly was a case of a nun made pregnant by a priest that I heard of. Under questioning by the mother superior of how it happened, the nun replied 'Benedictus'

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    'Benedictus'
    Groannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    There certainly was a case of a nun made pregnant by a priest that I heard of. Under questioning by the mother superior of how it happened, the nun replied 'Benedictus'

Aye and then there's the girl who confessed to the priest that she'd had sex with St. Michael because his name was on the label in his underpants.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    All of these urban "myths" are exactly that, MYTHS and were based on Liverpool's past, very sectarian, culture. I have heard the same story about the convent that once stood on Copperas Hill and St. Nick's also Notre Dame convent on Mount Pleasant. The latest one I heard about was in the early sixties when the sisters of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary occupied St. Augustine's at the corner of Great Howard Street and Chisinale Street. Rumour had it that it was an abortion facility for rich Irish and English catholic girls, and nuns who had been impregnated by priests. And there was me thinking that priest only liked little boys!

I think these tales fit neatly into the category of the Mariah Monk type sectarian slander. You know, just like the WMD that Blair was fond on quoting.

I've heard some mention in the mists of time about Mariah Monk. Can you remind me ??

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I've heard some mention in the mists of time about Mariah Monk. Can you remind me ??
    'The Awful Disclosures of the Hotel Dieu Nunnery of Montreal' or most commonly known as 'Maria Monk' was the figment of a very vicious anti catholic imagination. It was first published in 1836 in the United States of America with the above title, later edited as 'The Awful Disclosures of Mariah Monk'. Maria Monk was a famous American imposter who made a lot of money out of religious bigotry. She claimed to be a nun in a Montreal convent where she allegedly suffered torture, sexual degradation and exploitation at the hands of degenerate priests and nuns.

Incredibly, this book is still available and can be purchased from certain right wing American evangelical, so called, Christian groups.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    'The Awful Disclosures of the Hotel Dieu Nunnery of Montreal' or most commonly known as 'Maria Monk' was the figment of a very vicious anti catholic imagination. It was first published in 1836 in the United States of America with the above title, later edited as 'The Awful Disclosures of Mariah Monk'. Maria Monk was a famous American imposter who made a lot of money out of religious bigotry. She claimed to be a nun in a Montreal convent where she allegedly suffered torture, sexual degradation and exploitation at the hands of degenerate priests and nuns.

Incredibly, this book is still available and can be purchased from certain right wing American evangelical, so called, Christian groups.
    Sounds an interesting book.
    I'd buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    3 different sources say it was 1973.
    See posts 7, 9 & 13 in this thread.
    If the school is still standing, they should know when it was built.
    I must be 5 years older than what I thought I was eh?

The nuns were asked why they travelled to the convent on their bikes down the old cobbled lane. 'we always come this way' they said.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    I must be 5 years older than what I thought I was eh?
    I didn't mean anything personal, Stan.
    1973 was when the foundations were dug.
    For all I know, the school was built 5 years later, or you might be remembering something else.
    My memory is awful, so when I'm writing about history, I always check my facts.

Nah,it's just me being sarky.It's just weird being told it was '73.I used to play on that site where the bodies were and I remember when the high fences got put up.They must have discovered the bodies earlier and moved them when the site was cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Sounds an interesting book.
    I'd buy it!
    I understand Enid Blyton wrote good childrens fiction too. Do you think women are better at this sort of fiction?

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast