Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Mass Grave in Old Swan

Ordinance survey maps are searchable at this site :-
    http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html
    Type Old Swan into the search box, then choose your map and click on "enlarge map".

I've yet to see a record of any burials during the ownership of the land by the Wesleyan Methodists. I've looked in the usual places online. If anyone can confirm any, please say so.
    On the 1851 map the only grave yard (marked Gr Yd) is on St Oswalds land.

This is a interesting site -
    http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects....poolrcburials/
    11,000 burials by St Oswalds church in just a few years. Bodies brought from all over Liverpool for burial. They must have stacked them sixteen deep.
    By all accounts this was a very large number of burials in a very small area. Well marked on at least one map.
    Loads of rubbish has been written about the exhumation of the site, its location and the state of the corpses.
    A very accurate, well researched account of the exhumation is on the "Old Swan" site, the article is produced by fortinian.
    The thirty year closure of Home Office files has now passed, so historians should be able to access Home office records.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    11,000 burials by St Oswalds church in just a few years. Bodies brought from all over Liverpool for burial. They must have stacked them sixteen deep.
    By all accounts this was a very large number of burials in a very small area. Well marked on at least one map.
    Loads of rubbish has been written about the exhumation of the site, its location and the state of the corpses.
    A very accurate, well researched account of the exhumation is on the "Old Swan" site, the article is produced by fortinian.
    The thirty year closure of Home Office files has now passed, so historians should be able to access Home office records.
    Sorry - double post.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Thanx a bunch for this.
    Good work and good find. Well done Hutch

Thanks very much for this.
    It seems to be the conclusive answer.
    I've now seen the 1890 OS map, and the smaller burial ground (facing Mill Lane) did not exist, so the earliest that was added was in the 1890s.
    We know that all the burial grounds became disused sometime between 1906 and 1925.
    It'll be interesting to find out how the sites are described on post WW2 maps.

Fans of Tom Slemen will be disappointed.

[QUOTE=PhilipG;321069]
    It'll be interesting to find out how the sites are described on post WW2 maps.[QUOTE]

I've seen the 1949 OS map and they are marked as "Burial Grounds (Dis)", which proves that they never were a mystery.

i got talking to my nan earlier today about durning road school and she was telling me about going past the school as it would have been packed and running to the littlewoods shelter, which was lucky, and out of the blue she said "your great grandad worked on the mass burial site that your looking into for your site" so natuarally i have asked her to try and remember as much as possible and jot it down for me to post on here,
    as for mass burial graves, does anyone know of any difinitve plague pits or the likes in liverpool ? it would be really interesting!!!
    lets keep this one alive !!!!

Hi moe, I think I mentioned a couple of plagues early on in the thread. Liverpool had 2 in quci succession and fever huts were placed along sickmans lane with a red or black cross on them. That many died that the lane was renamed deadmans lane. Later on it became a densely populated residential street called Addison street of Byrom street where Fontenoy Gardens was and is still there in part now but partly pedestrianised by St Stephens place.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hey Ged,
    Thanks for the reply, i think that it's one of those things that is intriguing to me, my bro and pops (dad ) are both on the brick and have been for as long as i remember, and they both worked on the big L1 job and i have asked them about anything found when the footings were all being dug, and they didnt see anything of interest, but they did say that human remains were rumoured to have been found, a single body as far as they said, but it could have just been a rumour spread on the site, now back in the plague days i assume that liverpool was the seven streets, which would have put plague pits outside the town boundaries. now if theres a definate number of plague victim's out there in liverpool, then it can be gagued on a rough number of pits.
    ok ramble over
    P.S, our good mate slemen has estimated 75 mass burial graves in liverpool

Blog Entries

If any bodies were found during the Liverpool ONE dig i'm sure they would be in the full archeology report carried out by Oxford Archeology North.

That's the thing with rumors , they usually ammount to nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Philip and Stan

Ken Williams, the retired principal environmental health office who was in charge of disposing of the bodies, states that it was 1973 that the remains were first discovered, so there is no doubt about the year. See

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...5&postcount=15

Chris
    There were graves discovered and exhumed in 1973 but only on part of the site. The work was left for several years and further graves were found when it re-commenced which would account for people remembering the incident as being later than 1973. This is all explained in Derek Whales Lost Villages Of Liverpool. It always helps to consider first hand experience instead of discounting it if it doesn't fit in with previous statements.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516