Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Grave in Old Swan

Gerard

Was at my Cousin's Christening yesterday at St Oswalds Old Swan for the latest arrival of the O'Shea clan...
    Tim O'shea was my uncle being married to my Mams sister and arrived here from Cork pennyless..He built up a Civil Engineering firm and at one time or another Every Liverpool Irishman must have worked for him pulling the big Cables from BICC in Prescot..and Quite a lot of Scousers as well..Yours truly included..The Perfect Gentleman..

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Thats a sad story Sloyne. it must have been horrible to be Irish back then.
    I most likely know your family, me having grown up in 13 Rose Place right facing Comus Street. I knew a Mr. Tim Hogan who married one of the McMullen women and I think, listening to me mam, her best mate, Dolly Hickey, was courting a Christy Hogan before marrying into the McMullen's, I forget whether it was to Dan or Pat McMullen.

Gnomie

Hi Sloyne

I only know the brothers and sisters for my grandfather.

and the sister and brother of my great grandfather.

all from comus street and surrunding area. im sure they had cousins so these hogans sre interesting as they are in the same place.

cheers mate

Tony

"...'Containment Squads' moved in on the diseased and starving immigrants, removed their children, then herded the Irish men and women to a containment camp in a field on the outskirts of Liverpool. They were then systematically shot and buried in unmarked coffins".

Fascinating stuff- but why bother going to the trouble and expense of providing coffins?
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Quote Originally Posted by knowhowe View Post
    "...'Containment Squads' moved in on the diseased and starving immigrants, removed their children, then herded the Irish men and women to a containment camp in a field on the outskirts of Liverpool. They were then systematically shot and buried in unmarked coffins".

Fascinating stuff- but why bother going to the trouble and expense of providing coffins?
    Hi Steve

You're right. The story that Tom Slemen and Keith Andrews are promulgating doesn't quite add up.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

my granddad's corner shop was built right on top of this mass grave.
    we believe the shop was built around 1905 and was called Mickasey's corner shop but most knew the shop as just 'Micks'
    The shop was demolished before work started on project Orchid in 1973,my mother has always been interested in the subject as she was brought up and lived in the shop.

Below is a link to a scan from the Liverpool Echo 1996 with some information and a map marking the location of the grave and my granddad's shop,hope this is some use to anyone researching the graves.

warning its a full scan (3.3mb) but you can read everything.

http://bevysworld.bulldoghome.com/ph...m/Pict0004.JPG

I know Its a long shot but if anyone has a picture of the shop my family would love to see it as we have lost any pictures we had.

My mother and Uncle also have some very strange stories about hooded figures they used to see as children, but that's another story.

Hiya Bevy. Give Tom Slemen a ring and we'll look forward to seeing the 'hooded figures of Old Swan' in Haunted Liverpool 79.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

BUT - Don't tell Steve Faragher

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by Bevy View Post
    my granddad's corner shop was built right on top of this mass grave.
    we believe the shop was built around 1905 and was called Mickasey's corner shop but most knew the shop as just 'Micks'
    The shop was demolished before work started on project Orchid in 1973,my mother has always been interested in the subject as she was brought up and lived in the shop.

Below is a link to a scan from the Liverpool Echo 1996 with some information and a map marking the location of the grave and my granddad's shop,hope this is some use to anyone researching the graves.

warning its a full scan (3.3mb) but you can read everything.

http://bevysworld.bulldoghome.com/ph...m/Pict0004.JPG

I know Its a long shot but if anyone has a picture of the shop my family would love to see it as we have lost any pictures we had.

My mother and Uncle also have some very strange stories about hooded figures they used to see as children, but that's another story.
    An excellent scan! Cheers

Default Over Egging the Stories

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I've found the source.
    It was Derek Whale's "Lost Villages of Liverpool" Part 1 (1984).

The graves were first discovered in April 1973, so a trawl through the newspapers at the Record Office might reveal contemporary accounts.
    Looks like Tom has overegged the story here to, "wood that wouldnt burn" and Government cover up, too many X-files makes Tom a dull boy

Default mass graves

can some one tell me exactly where they where i went to school in old swan
    (st agnes ) 1973 i started there and i dont remember any one talking about mass graves you know what kids are like. where they any where near that school?
    debbie

MarkA

On the site of Saint Oswald's Infant School directly opposite Tesco's

Yes, there's a map pinpointing the site in Message 81 by Bevy.

This has been an interesting thread. It must have been horrendous finding them! Never heard of 'wood that doesn't burn' in my life, weird!
    Life is what you make it

Default mass graves

it all sounds a bit weird and far fetched, wood that would,nt burn, some coffins with dates on, all buried in age groups, mostly young i think i read,
    and if they where from other cemetary.s how the hell would they move them?
    especially in them days. (horse and cart ) you would need a least a hundred of them. any way im sure if it was genocide or something to that evect would,nt someone have picked up on it and written about it or stumbled on it years ago.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast