YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Grave in Old Swan

Thanks

Default Old Swan.

Does anyone remember that when they were demolishing the opposite side of St. Oswalds street, they came across a mass grave site. My mate lived in Elm's House Road so I was forever getting the number 10 in Norton Street. I was born in Holly Street, the flats similar to Eldon Grove and later moved to Gerard Gardens when Holly Street had to make way for the new St. Anne Street Police station. I loved that community and era - no playstations or X boxes, no interacting via a joystick, screen or keyboard - proper face to face games. Does anyone have any photos of Rose Hill Police station which preceded St. Anne Street station?

ADVERTISING

Thanks

I'd heard about the graves from a Tom Slemen story, but I've no idea. There's an interview with him where he mentions it...

"There were 3,561 bodies buried according to age group in a huge square, in coffins of an unknown type of wood that would not burn."

They were found in October 1973 while clearing space for a Roman Catholic primary school. No maps or parish records show this graveyard.

"The mystery deepens as the Home Office soon cordoned off the site, and the bodies were taken to be cremated and buried at a cemetery in Anfield."

Archaeologists from London were furious, but the Home Office refused to comment until the 1990s and then admitted the entire files were lost.

Source

Thanks

All sounds a bit dodgy if true doesn't it. A Tom Slemen story recently appeared in the Bootle Times about a reptile monster type creature that's supposed to have popped in and out of the rubbish chutes in Gerard Gardens much to the horror of the local residents and was well known. Weill I lived there from 1968 to 78 and heard nothing about it. Now i'm not saying any of his stories are 'made up' but 11 books of ghostly happenings? I've heard that someone will come up to him at his book launches and say have you heard this one Tom, whether they then appear in his next book and how much verification can actually be made is open to question but if nothing else the paying public seem to like them enough.

PhilipG

There is some truth about the mass grave in Old Swan.
    I first read about it years ago (well before Tom Slemen's books).
    Can't remember the details, but they were thought to be the casualties of some mass sickness in the city centre, and they were all buried together outside the Town.

It sounds like more details have been added to the story to make it more "interesting".

Thanks

That's a more likely explanation than a mass-genocide by members of the occult. Or whatever.

Would be interesting to find out more about it...

Thanks

I wonder if they may have been plague victims like those buried in Addison Street which was formerly called Sickmans lane because of it?

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast