Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Liverpool Pub Nicknames

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    I'm sure there was a pub near Birkenhead docks called The Burning Stump.
    So called because the manager had a wooden leg and used to poke the fire with it!
    Was it not the Blazing Stump? I might be wrong, I probably am. It's just I seem to remember that being the name...

Not far from the Stump was The New Dock - known as The Blood Tub - near Birkenhead North station, now demolished.
    The Vittoria Vaults in Birkenhead is known as 'The Piggy'.
    The Mona Castle in Seacombe is 'Caton's', named after a former landlord.
    The Little Brighton in New Brighton is 'The Ginny' (correct spelling?) but I don't know where that name comes from.
    The Coach and Horses in Moreton is always referred to as The Big House. There are loads of them though!
    And when a pub changes name, usually the old name continues to be used. There are a few examples of that around this area.

Also worth noting is the Morton Arms in Moreton dating from the '50s. Notice the spelling of 'Morton'. I believe it was something to do with a pub having to have a coat of arms back in the day and Moreton didn't have one, so 'Morton' was used. I'll try and find out more.
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

The Bramley Moor on the dock road was always known as the The Long Bar.
    Once a blue always a blue

I think the Famous Elephant in Woolton has returned to its old name, hasn't it? I'm sure it's no longer Casa Di Cocodrilo, or am I imagining this. I don't venture to Woolton very often.
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ross08 View Post
    Was it not the Blazing Stump? I might be wrong, I probably am. It's just I seem to remember that being the name...

Not far from the Stump was The New Dock - known as The Blood Tub - near Birkenhead North station, now demolished.
    The Vittoria Vaults in Birkenhead is known as 'The Piggy'.
    The Mona Castle in Seacombe is 'Caton's', named after a former landlord.
    The Little Brighton in New Brighton is 'The Ginny' (correct spelling?) but I don't know where that name comes from.
    The Coach and Horses in Moreton is always referred to as The Big House. There are loads of them though!
    And when a pub changes name, usually the old name continues to be used. There are a few examples of that around this area.

Also worth noting is the Morton Arms in Moreton dating from the '50s. Notice the spelling of 'Morton'. I believe it was something to do with a pub having to have a coat of arms back in the day and Moreton didn't have one, so 'Morton' was used. I'll try and find out more.
    The Little Ginny in upper New Brighton is called that because of a famous singer who stayed there early last century. The Big house is Moreton was so named cos it used to fill up the whole site a while back. Even had a fanct restaurant and a bowling Green behind. The used to have joints of meat on the bar on a Sunday there. You're right about the Morton Arms, there wasn't any Moreton Arms, so rather than make it up, they used the Morton familys crest. The oyster catcher in Leasowe is also called the Snatch. There was also a name for the Twenty Row on Leasowe Road, but I can't remember it.

The Swan in Garston was known as The Duck !!, I got told it was because the board outside looked more ducklike than swan like !..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ross08 View Post
    Ross - yes, I think you're probably right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Ross - yes, I think you're probably right.
    There also used to be Brasseys by Seacombe Ferry. Long since pulled down.

Blog Entries

the plough.on scottie rd,,,..the widows... facing plough ..the holy house..nxt to church....nxt pub along on corner silvester st... the foot hospital

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by jacky gunnion View Post
    the plough.on scottie rd,,,..the widows... facing plough ..the holy house..nxt to church....nxt pub along on corner silvester st... the foot hospital
    Oh i hated the Widows , i used to be stuck in that hell hole almost every New Years eve , all dressed up with nowhere to go ..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123