Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boundary Markers

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    I was very interested to see the reference to the Toxteth/ Garston boundary marker. It's one I'd not know about. Given that Aigburth is part of the township of Garston, does anyone know how the area of St Michael's , Lark Lane, Riverside Drive etc and indeed the whole of Sefton park are commonly stated to be in "Aigburth" when clearly they were and still are in Toxteth
    The short answer is Snob Value.

Ashfield Road is the boundary for Toxteth Park, and the boundary continues through the Otterspool estate (now Otterspol Park).
    I've never been sure exactly where the boundaries of Aigburth are.
    Riverside Drive might be called Aigburth by the residents, and is L17, but some of it is definitely Dingle. Dingle Point and Knott's Hole are right in the middle of it!

It's a bit like the residents of Lodge Lane changing the name of their section of the road to Sefton Park Road, even though the Lodge which gave its name to the road is there (Sefton Park Road, that is).

Another sore point with me is that all the South Docks are in L3, but the rest of the area is mostly L8.

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    The short answer is Snob Value.

Ashfield Road is the boundary for Toxteth Park, and the boundary continues through the Otterspool estate (now Otterspol Park).
    I've never been sure exactly where the boundaries of Aigburth are.
    Riverside Drive might be called Aigburth by the residents, and is L17
    , but some of it is definitely Dingle. Dingle Point and Knott's Hole are right in the middle of it!

It's a bit like the residents of Lodge Lane changing the name of their section of the road to Sefton Park Road, even though the Lodge which gave its name to the road is there (Sefton Park Road, that is).

Another sore point with me is that all the South Docks are in L3, but the rest of the area is mostly L8.
    hi philip
    I live near Otterspool on riverside drive, but my postcode is L3...I have often wondered what area I come under!! The letting agent told us DOCKLANDS...????
    I always thought it would be Dingle...who knows eh?

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post

hi philip
    I live near Otterspool on riverside drive, but my postcode is L3...I have often wondered what area I come under!! The letting agent told us DOCKLANDS...????
    I always thought it would be Dingle...who knows eh?
    Post codes are simply for the convenience of the Post office and do change. Thus a lot of what was L8 around the Dingle has become L17 or L3. Again not all L8 is in Toxteth, for example the Abercromby & Canning areas. These have of course been dubbed by estate agents " The Georgian" quarter

MissInformed

hmmmm...
    i know what you mean.
    Alot of prices do depend on postcodes!

The Sanctuary Stone, Castle Street. The plaque is on the building occupied by The Furness Building Society.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanctuary_Stone_plaque.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanctuary_Stone_Castle_street.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	913  

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    I found this on the bbc website.
    A pic of a blue stone/plaque dated 1820. Apparently in Martindales car park in St Anne St.
    Any ideas what it is??
    Did anybody find out what this one was?
    It would seem that Boundary Stones do not have the date on them.
    I'm pretty sure that the date doesn't refer to St Anne's Church.
    I still don't think it's as old as 1820, but it might refer to something that happened then.

MissInformed

i don't think anyone did find out what this was.
    it would be nice to know

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The Sanctuary Stone, Castle Street. The plaque is on the building occupied by The Furness Building Society.
    Great to see, Marky. I have taken a pic of this stone in the past among other images of Liverpool historic locations that I photographed in black and white in the Sixties. I like that bit of duct tape you got on the side of the stone, ha ha.

In answer to MissInformed's question about the marker near St. Anne's church with the Liver Bird and the date 1820, I thought Philip G answered this question on November 25 in this thread, as follows:

I've checked the 1908 OS map, and Rose Place was the "Divn. of Parly. Boro. & Ward Bdy." (sic).
    Division (?) of Parliamentary Borough and Ward Boundary.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Great to see, Marky. I have taken a pic of this stone in the past among other images of Liverpool historic locations that I photographed in black and white in the Sixties. I like that bit of duct tape you got on the side of the stone, ha ha.

In answer to MissInformed's question about the marker near St. Anne's church with the Liver Bird and the date 1820, I thought Philip G answered this question on November 25 in this thread, as follows:
    Chris.

Since seeing the pics of boundary stones which have been put on this thread, it would appear that they do not have dates, but have letters for the area they are bounding (right word?).
    Whereas the St Anne Street stone has a date, but no letters, which leads me to think that whatever it was, it wasn't a boundary stone.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 01-10-2007 at 05:57 PM.

theninesisters

The ground floor is taken up with garages as that was historically an area prone to flooding.
    Ain't that the truth! I used to catch the 61 from Aiggy Vale in my School Days and remember the pet shop literally bailing out after a heavy rain fall..they'd have been ok if they were selling ducks!

Chris.

Since seeing the pics of boundary stones which have been put on this thread, it would appear that they do not have dates, but have letters for the area they are bounding (right word?).
    Whereas the St Anne Street stone has a date, but no letters, which leads me to think that whatever it was, it wasn't a boundary stone.
    Hi Phil

Fair enough. It would seem to me though that it was something to do with the city government with having a Liver Bird on it, do you agree? I do agree that most of the boundary markers just seem to have letters on them for the areas whose limits they are marking.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Phil

Fair enough. It would seem to me though that it was something to do with the city government with having a Liver Bird on it, do you agree? I do agree that most of the boundary markers just seem to have letters on them for the areas whose limits they are marking.

Chris
    Or a Liverpool firm.
    The classic example, of course, is the Royal Liver Insurance.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 01-10-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Default Boundary Markers on Rose Lane, Mossley Hill

Despite what the council would have you believe with their new district signs, there's no defined boundary for Mossley Hill. The nearest attempt are the Church of England parish boundaries for SS Matthew and James, Mossley Hill and St Barnabas, Mossley Hill.

However Rose Lane, Mossley Hill has two beautiful boundary markers. One near the church, defining the boundary between Garston and Wavertree. The other defining the boundary between Allerton and Wavertree. Both boundaries ran down the middle of Rose Lane.

The W|G stone is located against the wall near the SS Matthew and James Vicarage and the A|W stone is built into the stone wall about 100 yds along towards Mather Ave from Pitville Rd. Photos attached. The Allerton wavertree bounadry continues Rose lane and then along Green Lane where another boundary marker exists to confirm this.

The net result of all this of course is that SS Matthew and James Church is in Garston Township. Also of course all the shops etc on Allerton Rd are in Wavertree Township and not the Allerton so beloved of estate agents
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allerton Garston Wavertree boundaries Oct 2005 002.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	544.0 KB 
ID:	954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allerton Garston Wavertree boundaries Oct 2005 003.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	608.0 KB 
ID:	955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allerton Garston Wavertree boundaries Oct 2005 008.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	512.0 KB 
ID:	956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allerton Garston Wavertree boundaries Oct 2005 010.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	561.4 KB 
ID:	957  

MissInformed

great pics

I agree. Wonderful photographs, Taffy. Thanks for taking them and also for giving us that information on the markers' locations.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast