Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boundary Markers

theninesisters

Wavertree has one - of sorts:

Walk along Mill Lane - so called because it was the road leading from Old Swan to the ancient Wavertree Mill off Woolton Road - past the children's playground. A few yards inside the railed enclosure can be seen a sandstone block, protruding from the grassy surface, inscribed with a crown and the letter 'S'.

This 'Salisbury stone' is a reminder of the old Wavertree Lake which existed on this site until 1929, and of a dispute between the Local Board and the Lord of the Manor as long ago as 1861. The Lake was a valued local asset; the existence of a water supply - springing from the original well - was probably the reason why a village developed here, the name 'Wavertree' having been translated by one scholar as "the place by the common pond". During the nineteenth century, however, it became very dirty and weed-infested, and the Local Board of Health decided to clean it up and plant trees round the edge. This provoked a reaction from the Marquess of Salisbury - Lord of the Manor of Wavertree - who ordered 'mere stones' (boundary markers) to be placed round the edge to show that it was his property rather than common land. Eventually the dispute was resolved - the Marquess agreeing to allow the Board to continue with its scheme - but one of the stones remains to this day.

Hi Jona76

Thanks for that great information about the Wavertree boundary stone, Jona76. Most interesting!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    That's gone missing
    It was in the corner by Aigburth Road (near the underpass).

The Boundary Stone is just the other side of the "Old Bank" building.
    I think there is a pic of the one that says something about the Exchange in Our City, Our Heritage by O connor...i have lent out my book, so may need your help here Philip!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    I think there is a pic of the one that says something about the Exchange in Our City, Our Heritage by O connor...i have lent out my book, so may need your help here Philip!
    Here's the relevant pic.
    Checked today, and this milestone's still missing.

However, the Boundary Stone is still a few yards away on the other side of the door of the Old Bank in Aigburth Vale.
    T T P = Township of Toxteth Park.
    T G = Township of Garston.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.5_miles.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aigburth_Vale.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	472  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 12-08-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Here's a location pic for the Rose Lane stone...the church is on the left near the top of the hill.
    I've seen a few metal plates around, some with numbers some without. Are these mile posts? There's a numbered one at Aigburth rd. and The Serpentine.

Name:	Rose_Lane_stone_location.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	475  

Here's the relevant pic.
    Checked today, and this milestone's still missing.

However, the Boundary Stone is still a few yards away on the other side of the door of the Old Bank.
    T G = Township of Garston.
    Hello Philip

Many thanks for this. I worked for a while at what was then, in 1968, Martin's Bank in Aigburth Vale, on the eastern corner of Ashfield Road and Aigburth Road, which later became Barclay's Bank. This is pictured at Toxteth.net at http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverp...rth%20vale.htm

I am assuming that the "Old Bank" is what was when I worked there, Westminster Bank, on the other side of Ashfield Road, pictured on Toxteth.net at http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverp...20vale%202.htm

I am sorry to hear that the old mile marker is missing. I assume somebody might have it as a souvenir.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Here's a location pic for the Rose Lane stone...the church is on the left near the top of the hill.
    I've seen a few metal plates around, some with numbers some without. Are these mile posts? There's a numbered one at Aigburth rd. and The Serpentine.
    Liverpool area boundary stone complete with dolly bird swinging her handbag. Perfect!

I have no opinion about the Aigburth Road and Serpentine marker that you saw. As we noted earlier, we might be drifting into corporation markers for gas and electric lines etc in contrast to the older boundary markers.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

PhilipG

The bank on the Garston side is now a wine-bar.
    The Boundary Stone is outside the former bank on the Liverpool side.
    That building is now a sort of private Labour Exchange. "Work today. Get Paid today".

For years there were a few single storey shops before you got to Aigburth Vale.
    (I think I mixed up Aigburth Vale with Ashfield Road before).
    Those single storey shops and the building on the corner of the Vale have gone and have been replaced with a block of flats.
    The ground floor is taken up with garages as that was historically an area prone to flooding.
    At one stage a cinema was planned for that site. Not a lot of people know that!

The bank on the Garston side is now a wine-bar.
    The Boundary Stone is outside the former bank on the Liverpool side.
    That building is now a sort of private Labour Exchange. "Work today. Get Paid today".

For years there were a few single storey shops before you got to Aigburth Vale.
    (I think I mixed up Aigburth Vale with Ashfield Road before).
    Those single storey shops and the building on the corner of the Vale have gone and have been replaced with a block of flats.
    The ground floor is taken up with garages as that was historically an area prone to flooding.
    At one stage a cinema was planned for that site. Not a lot of people know that!
    Hi Philip

Yes last time I drove through Aigburth Vale, I was startled to see that where I labored as a bank clerk in 1968, the former Martin's and later Barclay's Bank, is now a wine bar! Thanks for clarifying that the boundary marker is on opposite street corner, beside the former bank on the Liverpool side, what had been "the opposition" -- Westminster Bank-- when I worked in the locality, but now a sort of private Labour Exchange. "Work today. Get Paid today". Incredible.

Good to know about the trivia that a cinema was actually mooted to go into the area at one time! Thanks, Philip.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Hi all

Found this railway boundary marker on Liverpool Parks and Suburbs. Stated to be "A boundary marker on the pavement of Smithdown Road." Can anyone place it more exactly?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

MissInformed

I have never seen that!
    I will have to have a look out for it..
    thanks Chris!

Location of Railway metal plate: This is near the site of the old railway station, Smithdown rd. You can see it in the bottom-left corner of the following pic. It reads:

BOUNDARY POST
    L. & N. W. Ry. Co.

Name:	BP_Smithdown_rd_location.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	590  

MissInformed

that's brilliant marky!
    all the times i have been along there, and never seen it!

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Location of Railway metal plate: This is near the site of the old railway station, Smithdown rd. You can see it in the bottom-left corner of the following pic. It reads:

BOUNDARY POST
    L. & N. W. Ry. Co.

Hi Marky

Many thanks for tying down the exact location of this marker for us!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Default Where is Aigburth

However, the Boundary Stone is still a few yards away on the other side of the door of the Old Bank in Aigburth Vale.
    T G = Township of Garston.[/QUOTE]

I was very interested to see the reference to the Toxteth/ Garston boundary marker. It's one I'd not know about. Given that Aigburth is part of the township of Garston, does anyone know how the area of St Michael's , Lark Lane, Riverside Drive etc and indeed the whole of Sefton park are commonly stated to be in "Aigburth" when clearly they were and still are in Toxteth

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast