Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School Dinners. Did you love them or hate them?

Default School Dinners. Did you love them or hate them?

I was at school in the 60s and I must admit the school dinners where pretty grosse. There where some exceptions though. I used to love the cheese flan/tart, which was quite tasty and the manchester tart for pudding. The Pink Blancmange was ok. What I hated was the mash potato, which was usually lumpy and had black bits in . Cabbage which was usually drenched in cold dishwater type gravy. Fish in batter, that was usually soggy. In School we rarely had chips back then, and if we did, it was like a treat. There where no soft drinks, only water. There was none of the `healthy eating ` options like today. Or Burgers or the likes on the menu. Sometimes you would get something you did like, only to find the boy sat opposite would douse it in salt.

Blog Entries

We even used to get school dinners in the holidays. We all used to go, it was the only hot meal we had. I loved them.

I remember we used to have a dinner ticket.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    I remember we used to have a dinner ticket.
    Is that like a dinner jacket only smaller...

One posh school you went to...

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

I loved school dinner in the infants. Especially the puddings. However, this is where I found out that I can not stomach Walnuts.
    I remember it like it was yesterday.....I got semolina pudding with a walnut on. I'd never seen a walnut before nevermind tasted one. Anyway I ate all the semolina and then thinking I have saved the best till last I started eating this small nobbly nut. As soon as I swallowed it the rest of my pudding came back up followed by my dinner. I filled my pudding bowl back up to the brim.
    So walnuts are a no go.
    Speaking of school dinners....I loved the rice pudding and I remember it being white not cream coloured. Mix the jam and it went pink. Why can't we get rice pud like that now?

I hated the Friday meatless stuff... even though the Catholics went to a different school.
    Fish pie and cheese pie were quite revolting - it took me years to get over the cheese pie memories and eat a pizza...

I bicycled a 5 mile round trip home each lunch for mum's food....

Seems I was lucky. Always living locally and my ma only working as a part time cleaner in the evenings, I could go home for dinner. I wasn't entitled to a freebie either cos my da was working. Like work now, gotta get out for an hour, couldn't stick being around school even at dinner time too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I liked some of the school dinners, except the cabbage Yuk! Our school has great school dinners - everything is fresh and it's nutritionally balanced. We are only allowed fried food once a week - on a Friday when the kids have fish and chips!

Hated them. Semolina - puke!

I remember big industrial size trays of chocolate sponge that they used to bake and cut into rectangular slab portions and the white custard.....more puke!

Then there was the warm school milk we had to have in the infants......Hughie! Sometimes we were lucky and had orange juice instead.

Yes the warm school milk, in the little bottles, then it changed to triangular cartons for a while, a bit like a jubblly carton. . Anyone remember milk machines???? They used to have them in stations, at the swimming baths, and even outside shops. At least that milk was cold.

Debra

Hated them , everything about them , i can even still smell the smell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    Hated them , everything about them , i can even still smell the smell
    It was great for us, but we weren't loaded like you lot...

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    It was great for us, but we weren't loaded like you lot...
    Who said we were loaded ? I'm still traumatised after the dinner lady made me eat the cheese pie
    after that episode i never stayed again , i went home for dinner , in the seniors we just used to buy chips and sit in the park with them ..

Different strokes,I suppose......loved the cheese pie,and it was great when you got "seconds",and occasionally more,starving gits that some of us were!!

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Different strokes,I suppose......loved the cheese pie,and it was great when you got "seconds",and occasionally more,starving gits that some of us were!!
    I just about tolerated the custard , i think it was the smell that made me sick though ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast