Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O`Connors

Default O`Connors

Anyone used to go there? I practically was there every weekend when I was about 16/17. Although it was a bit rough around the edges I loved it. I remember watching some great bands in the room upstairs. And the jukebox would be playing White Room, by Cream, or Led Zepperlin , Free ,Deep Purple or Black Sabbath.

I went to a wedding party there 1970's.

That was my favourite haunt when I was 17 in '68. I liked Double Diamond then, don't drink now.
    I used to like watchig the Liverpool Scene on there.
    I remember the poetry readings, one regular reader, Sid Hoddes,(sp), was my doctor some years later when I lived in Seaforth.

There will always be people who take things the wrong way.
    Click HERE to hear a clicky sound.

Do you remember Groundpig?? They were often on there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stanier View Post
    That was my favourite haunt when I was 17 in '68. I liked Double Diamond then, don't drink now.
    Hi Stanier,
    We're the same age and I used to go in there about the same time - a few pints in Ye Cracke first.
    Never liked DD but O'Connors was one of the few places you could get Newcastle Brown in Liverpool. Tried a bottle recently and can't believe I used to drink such sweet stuff!

I remember the manager at the time, a chap named Jimmy Moore, he collected Embassy coupons. I used to look through empty fag packets for the coupons for him and got the odd free pint.

Oh yes,a great dive.'69 to'74 in there min once a week.Did a couple of PA hires there in the early '80s.
    Slaughterhouse played there, a great band.

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    I played in one of the carnations of Slaughterhouse around the mid '70s.

Had a few DDs in there in the mid sixties and can vaguely remember avoiding the poetry upstairs (I wasn't always the sophisticate I am now) but recall it mostly for it's earlier use as an estate agents. I went to look at a ground floor flat in Fulwood Park, overlooking the river, it was expensive but I would have taken it if they hadn't refused me when they found out I worked for a bookmaker.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    Oh yes,a great dive.'69 to'74 in there min once a week.Did a couple of PA hires there in the early '80s.
    You should post your "band stories" Gnasher. I know who you've rubbed shoulders with

Great pub,jukebox,and ale! Had some good times there,but it changed when Jimmy popped off,but over the road lay the future....."Kirklands"

Quote Originally Posted by Davec View Post
    Had a few DDs in there in the mid sixties and can vaguely remember avoiding the poetry upstairs (I wasn't always the sophisticate I am now) but recall it mostly for it's earlier use as an estate agents. I went to look at a ground floor flat in Fulwood Park, overlooking the river, it was expensive but I would have taken it if they hadn't refused me when they found out I worked for a bookmaker.
    So,it was really an estate agents,previously?!? Hard to believe,but then again,it's being used as some sort of studenty arcade,now!

Don't think the whole building was an estate agents but I remember collecting the key to the flat from an office on the ground floor. The year would be either '64 or '65.

Tried to find a decent copy of this pic' of the Liverpool scene,outside the front door of O'Connor's,but these are the best I could find,for now,at least! Jimmy's quite easy to spot though!

Blog Entries

Anyone remember Nutz? Not really connected to O'Connors but there's a few on this thread from the same era so thought it a good place to put the question.
    Dave Lloyd - the singer - was someone I knew as we used to drink in the same pubs in Aigburth. Before he formed Nutz he played in a band with another one of our entourage - Barry Burns - but I can't remember the name of that group, even though we often went to see them in clubs around Liverpool.

Strike any chords?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast