Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prefabs at Walton Junction

Default Prefabs at Walton Junction

Anyone remember them back in the early 60's? I used to walk past them with my Dad on the way to his friends house in Larchdale Grove! I always remember them being well cared for and I used to think ho nice it would be to live in one because they always looked so warm and welcoming!
    Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

I am looking for pics of the prefabs on Townsend Ave. Good luck with your quest.

Thanks mate...I've had no success at all with getting any info. Hope you've had more luck!

Don't remember them myself. Where exactly were they? May know someone who recalls them.

Blog Entries

I lived (1980s) in a prefab built just after the war by Italian 'POWs' . The taps;H&C, were the wroung way around.

Very comfortable though, back boiler and all round snug.

Quote Originally Posted by Lan02 View Post
    Don't remember them myself. Where exactly were they? May know someone who recalls them.
    They were, as I recall, on the right just after the ticket office! There were about 10 I think...Tiny little houses, all very neat and tidy with white fencing! My Dad and I used to walk that way to get to his friends house in Larchdale Grove and I was always happy to see them because they always looked so homely. The people who lived in them always used to say hello if they were in their front gardens when we passed!

Quote Originally Posted by delzx7r View Post
    They were, as I recall, on the right just after the ticket office! There were about 10 I think...Tiny little houses, all very neat and tidy with white fencing! My Dad and I used to walk that way to get to his friends house in Larchdale Grove and I was always happy to see them because they always looked so homely. The people who lived in them always used to say hello if they were in their front gardens when we passed!
    Was it definitely Walton Junction? When you say just after the ticket office do you mean literally? Only it's quite a way down to Walton ticket office.

I could be wrong but the houses in Portree Close look like post war builds so can't them having been there either.

Could it have been Rice Lane station and they were were the Domino's etc is now?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...10986&t=h&z=17

George

I thinkthe ones you're on about was the white porta cabins(one story) that where put there on site and these type got transported rather than erected so thay can easily be shifted fom site to site(area),these really were tempory homes.

Prefabs where two storey and basically consisted of concete blocks and corrugated sheeting with tin roofs.

Blog Entries

There must have been pockets of prefabs all over Liverpool. I remember ny Aunty Suzi living in one on Breeze Hill, just along from where the Mons is now. There was a short row of them. Must have been early 60s.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I thinkthe ones you're on about was the white porta cabins(one story) that where put there on site and these type got transported rather than erected so thay can easily be shifted fom site to site(area),these really were tempory homes.

Prefabs where two storey and basically consisted of concete blocks and corrugated sheeting with tin roofs.
    Lived in a prefab from 4 to 10 years of age. One storey and nothing temporary about it - it couldn't have been moved. Several hundred of them on the estate in Speke - Dymchurch Road we lived on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

Is this not just the concrete blocks that were pre-fabricated?

Prefabs, as I know them, are all single storey post war long-lasting short term homes.

There definately was houses at Walton station. Not sure if they were prefab ones though.

They were actually on the platform (Liverpool bound side) and there was about 4 of them, if that. I used to walk through Walton station on the way to school down the back by the City Farm and I remember I could always see into the houses whilst crossing the bridge behind the station.

They were derelict then so that would have been around 1991. They got knocked down when the station was renovated.

I also loved the little old junction box just before walton station. Why the knocked that down i have no idea. That stretch of land is also supposed to be haunted for some reason. It is next to a graveyard I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post
    There definately was houses at Walton station. Not sure if they were prefab ones though.

They were actually on the platform (Liverpool bound side) and there was about 4 of them, if that. I used to walk through Walton station on the way to school down the back by the City Farm and I remember I could always see into the houses whilst crossing the bridge behind the station.

They were derelict then so that would have been around 1991. They got knocked down when the station was renovated.

I also loved the little old junction box just before walton station. Why the knocked that down i have no idea. That stretch of land is also supposed to be haunted for some reason. It is next to a graveyard I guess.
    If there were four I would imagine they were the railway workers cottages. Similar to the one's that are still at Aintree.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=walt...12,253.93,,0,5

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoobarb View Post
    If there were four I would imagine they were the railway workers cottages. Similar to the one's that are still at Aintree.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=walt...12,253.93,,0,5
    I wasnt even aware the Aintree ones were still there. I forgot about those ones.

Yeah i reckon you are right then. They looked pretty similar to that.

There were railway workers cottages on the platform at Walton Junction. Were well kept in 70's but derelict by 80's I'd say. How do I post a photo here?

IMG_0343.JPG

There are still some prefabs on Foxhouse Lane in Maghull. Think most if not all have been re-rendered or re-done in brick but they are quite cost inside and set in their own little square.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast