Page 55 of 111 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs of Liverpool and Merseyside

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Anyone remeber Casey's Bar on Cases St - used to be just past The Globe?

Went in there a lot in the early 70's. The barman was Jimmy Robinson; very camp and absolutely gorgeous when dressed up as Shirley Bassey!
    Quite a character.
    And his mate Robbie,after about 9:00 it was cabaret time.

Default Flying Dutchman pub

Yo all.
    First post on this vibrant site and unfortunately I'm on the cadge.
    Does anyone have any info on the Flying Dutchman pub that was located in Canning Place? There's surprisingly little about this pub considering it was in a town centre location.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Gregs Dad.. The Carters Arms looks like a lovely place to have a pint outside.. so, well-kept.. Nice, pics..

On page one of this thread there is a picture of the King Edward pub in Roberts Street that looks so very familiar I feel I have stepped back 30 odd yrs.....is it off Old Hall Street opp what was my hospital (DL NORTHERN)..if so I spent many a happy night in there....I can almost smell the atmosphere and picture the landlord/lady ...so convenient to pop into after a late shift....could even go in alone and know you would get a warm welcome being a nurse..learnt to play a mean game of darts there......18yrs old me and me drinking buddies were..only we didnt drink the hard stuff..soft drinks and a warm hot pie made/served by the landlady.....so many memories I have a tear in my eye.....unless of course its not my pub then I am jabbering incoherently.....

It's your pub alright as it was right opposite the ozzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Thanks loads for that Ged, been trying for years to see a pic....I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't unique, it's the first I've ever come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    It's your pub alright as it was right opposite the ozzy.
    YAY..its my pub.......is it still going strong....

Actually looking at the pic again I think I have answered my question....

Any one remember the name of the pub opp the New Royal....it was on the same side as the Old Royal Infirmary....did some terrific lock ins...ho hum......also there used to be a pub called the Sportsman to the side of St Johns market....almost opp Lime Street Station..is that still going....

Blog Entries

I used to have a quiet drink in the Carters Arms when I lived in Kirkby in the 60's. It was the type of pub you could take your Mum to,no music just quiet conversation. Just along the road from it was the Railway,an all together different kettle of fish. The back room was'nt too bad ,but the bar was where the bums and stiffs drank. I took an Irish /American friend home with me for a flying visit in '63 and my dad suggested we go up and have a "quiet" drink before we returned to our ship. The three of us were standing at the bar in the backroom and we could see the front room through the arched opening that connected the serving areas. A stool came flying through the opening and crashed into the optics at the back of bar we were standing at.
    Two men appeared through the opening ,they were knocking lumps out of each and then someone smashed a stool over one of their heads .Bodies were flying everywhere whilst we in the back stood silently viewing the gory spectacle. We finished our drinks and bade our goodbyes and got a taxi back to the docks. Mick,the Yank, says to me "Brian,if thats your old mans idea of a quiet drink.. I'd take a rain check on going for a wild night out with him !"
    Happy days in Kirkby,where the kids played tag with axes,
    BrianD

Re: King Edward pub. This was demolished June 2007. Some information is here:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852

Shame..so sad to see places from our past disappear.....I really do not think I would recognise half of Liverpool any more..........

Glad you like it Dave though it's full credit to Ken (Springy) who snapped it.

Maggie May. The old Fort is facing the front of the 'new' Royal ozzy but if you mean the one at the back (as you mention the old Royal infirmary) then that was the Royal William.

16th line down in the middle of this page:

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=41057337&cr=7

Brian. Changed a bit in the Carters since those days then. Live bands on of a thursday now, put on by piecake promotions who put us on the Head of Steam, last Mathew st festival.

Here's the inside of the disused Vernon, taken yesterday.

About time the muppet who owns The Vernon building did somethign with it. Same person who owns The Belevedere i think, and was hoping to sell both for redevlopment if memory serves me right.

Vernon was a decent pub as well.

Ah the William ......thats the one.....so nice to see a picture of it ....looks just the same as I remember it....thanks so much for the trip down memory lane.....

Page 55 of 111 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast