Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Franconia

I am loving this thread, all the old pics and tales, my dad was a merchant seaman and would tell us of his travels when we were kids, sadly though my memory is really shot and i cant recall most of them, apart from him bringing back monkeys and parrots and stuff, and teasets from india and places, my dad was born in 39 and went to sea when he was 17 about 1955, i wish i could ask him about his seafaring days now that im older and more interested but he sadly passed away in 2003

so thanks for this thread i will be keeping an eye on it to see more briliant pictures and to read others stories

Quote Originally Posted by christopherneil View Post
    New site user so be patient

I have obtained a photograph of the boat deck of the Franconia which says:

This photograph was taken during a Cinema presentation on the boat deck, at which the sum of £9 14 0 was collected towards the fund organised for the relatives of our lately deceased shipmates.

Can anyone shed any light on the content?, (see attached photo)

I am originally from Wallasey and my family have a history of naval service both Merchant and RN. My father John "Jacky" Neil was inMerchant service in the war 1939 - 1946 and I have his continuous certificate of discharge.

His brother James Francis Neil was alledgedly lost at sea but I have not been able to find any records of this to verify. Any suggestions most welcome

Chris Neil c.neil59@btinternet.com
    Was James in the M.N. or the R.N. when he was lost? If it was R.N.he should be on the Commonwealth War Graves site. Try this link.

http://www.cwgc.org/

Can anyone shed any light on the content?, (see attached photo) in earlier post re the Franconia please

WSteve; I have no idea if he was RN/MN and if the story of him being lost at sea is correct as I only have that as a memory from my late father who died in 76. That seems to be the story across the family but I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped ship somewhere.

Hi Chris,there's a couple of J.Neils,merchant,and Royal navy on the Commonwealth war graves site!Any other details at all?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12