Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Images of Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by HollyBlack View Post
    The Post Office and the corner of Borough Road are recognisable. The electronics shop where I bought my first transistor radio in 1962 is, of course, gone.

My grandparents lived over and ran a petfood store at 38 Poulton Road, a block away and known as 'The Spot Shop' for reasons lost to history. Fancy glass canopy for the pedestrians from an earlier age. Unsafe to scale to clean to windows above it even in the 1950s. According to Google it is now a charity shop. Across the road was Igoe's grocer's shop with the proud and silly slogan
    I can confirm Google been accurate yes 38 Poulton rd is a charty shop.

Funny enough electronic shop was there untill 14 years ago,my father in law took me there to buy my hand held radio to listen SW transmissions..14 years ago,no internet,no satellite only way was listening voice of Turkey on SW..

Do you remember gepps DIY store opposite to number 38...It is still there...It is says serving more tham 100 years now.

I haven't got into gepps more than 12 yeras now...Those days owner a old guy was running,he was really good sale person,a bit pushy but always try to find in his store what you are looking for.
    Last edited by kebabman; 02-15-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Well done kebabman for keeping us up to speed on Wirral.

Great photies.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by kebabman View Post
    Do you remember gepps DIY store opposite to number 38...It is still there...It is says serving more tham 100 years now.
    I haven't got into gepps more than 12 years now...Those days owner a old guy was running,he was really good sale person,a bit pushy but always try to find in his store what you are looking for.
    That's strange! I asked my sister, we both remember the Ironmongers as "Jepps". But the photo clearly says "Gepps". I think one of the Jepps was in the Sea Scouts with my Dad, a close friend, that would have been in the 1930s.

Maybe we just have failing memories. It looks like it's still a nice area for retired people and young families just starting out. Everyday shops, and still some interesting shops all within easy walking distance. Sad to say, the empty 36 Poulton Road looks like an ideal spot for a Starbucks or similar. I hope it gets something with more character.

Those shops with proprietor live-over were a great arrangement for semi-retired people. I wonder which bus route stops there? The old yellow 17 Bus must be ancient history. The old rain canopy (long gone) was great for people waiting for the bus and attracted a few window shoppers on a rainy days. The old junk shops were the best, you could burn a half hour no problem and always found something of interest (but never what you went there to find )
    Last edited by HollyBlack; 02-15-2008 at 07:24 PM.

I never seen this many people fishing together before

Bobby's Bar at Newbrighton

Good Old Tavern,trading Friday and Saturday only..

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Apologies all for not being around as much recently; in the process of writing a business plan in college...you would be amazed how time consuming it all is!

Corky: Great set of images there! Hope to see more from you!

Kebabman: Loving your wide variety of images...my favorite has to be the set from around Poulton Road; always partial to the odd streetscene myself! Keep up the good work!

HollyBlack: Glad you liked the set of pics from around South Wallasey; which road was it you were raised in? I took a few images of all roads running off Silverbeech Road and it wont be a problem looking it up for you! Flickr is also a good place to go if you would like a trip down memory lane; Kebabman's and even mine are growing quite steadily! Many thanks for your comments.

I got a new camera! It's a bit bigger than the older one and has a much greater zoom! Here's a few images i've taken over the last week or so...

Wallasey

Demesne Street, Seacombe The recreation ground to the left was on maps dating from 1913, making this one of the only existing focal points in the area. Demesne Road and surrounding area was pretty much devastated during the way causing mass re-building schemes to take place during the 50's and 60's. Some of the mid rise flats that were built, are now derelict. I wonder what else the future has in store for this road???

Seacombe Prom Looking up toward the Egremont Ferry pub.

Guinea Gap, Egremont There's something about these old Cast Iron signs...the sense of history is immense when you think about whats gone on during the time it's been in situ.

Magazine Brow, New Brighton Some people still regard this as Liscard for some reason; it was actually referred to on a 1898 map as being "Liscard Vale", the name still remembered in the name "Vale Park" which is just behind me.

Magazine Brow, New Brighton A different view of the Magazine Pub.

Vale Park, New Brighton Spring has arrived in Vale Park; One of the finer parks in Wallasey! The house in the background is the old Manor House of Liscard Vale. It is now a community centre and cafe...I can't say I've sampled the eatery...but the park is a good place to sit and take time out from the daily grind.

Magazine Lane, New Brighton The gatehouse in the background was the Liscard Battery; this was demolished during the 1930's and housing now stands on the site. Vale Park is to the left with the River Mersey clearly visable over the rooftops.

Magazine Lane, Upper Brighton The Old Tavern Pub which Kebabman has pictured previously is just off to the right. The trees in the distance mark where Vale Park lies, whilst in the distance, the tower blocks of Bootle can be seen basking in the evening sun.

Around Wirral

Upton Road, Claughton Now a part of Birkenhead, Claughton is one of those places which you probably just pass through on the way to work or out to Bidston Moss...but it is quite a pleasant place to have a walk around!

Prenton Road West, Tranmere Who can spot the top of the Anglican Cathedral??? Admittedly its not the most obvious feature of this image but it is visable if you know where to look! The high mast's mark Prenton Park, the home of Tranmere Rovers FC...Wirral's premier football team! We are looking down into a urban valley which was carved out by a stream; now covered over by Borough Road.

Prenton Park Road, Tranmere I never knew there was a side road named after "Prenton Park"...there was actually a small area of parkland in this area, the site is now housing but has been remembered by local roadnames. For example "Parkend Road" and "Parkhurst Road".

Warrington Street, Tranmere All houses to the left are due to be demolished as part of New Heartlands; we dread to think what might be going up in their place...but we do know that what ever does get built there, it wont have as much character or charm like the good ol' terrace. In the background is the construction site for a apartment block on Holt Hill. It is rather prominent when seen from downtown Birkenhead but will command impressive views over to Liverpool as well as the local area. I wouldn't mind going upto the top floor when built!

I hope you all enjoyed looking over these views; the Wallasey images were taken today (27FEB08) with the rest dating from yesterday (26FEB08).

Good evening!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Impressive pictures, Wallasey. I noticed a black cat on one of your pictures - that's good luck. I think.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Dear wallasey,you have been in my territory again ...
    Good photos,I like second one most..I don't like taking photos where as too many cars get into frame..I don't know why..

And I have to say how hard it was for me to understand difference of how to prounce and how to write the name of Demesne..

It has always caused problem for me and for my delivery driver for first a couple of time..
    Untill I have asked customers how to spell it?

spells Demesne ,sounds Demain
    it is total strange for me..

Quote Originally Posted by kebabman View Post
    And I have to say how hard it was for me to understand difference of how to prounce and how to write the name of Demesne..
    spells Demesne ,sounds Demain
    it is total strange for me..
    Demesne is a really olde English word, from before 1066 and all that. Only law students read about it these days.

It refers to land that is owned free and clear of all strings - and there was a time when such was rare even though today it is almost entirely the usual arrangement. Once commonplace were leasehold (term for years) and Copyhold - an obligation to do annual services (typically harvesting) for the Manor as a condition of ownership. Also "villeins" - serfs who could gain their freedom by living in a city for a year and a day without returning to the countryside. I'm not sure about those who went to sea, pressed or free.

The industrial revolution changed everything of course but I guess Manor Road was named for something.

Some great pics here. Just wish was able to carry a camera around as often as some of you seem to do!

I have used the Vale Park resources a few times in the past, both visiting and for working purposes (I do have an interest in UKonline centres after all.....).

One locally funded project I work with (people with mental health issues) has had some considerable successes, and one photographer has just won a commission (for a local resource so its local photos) to produce next years calendar for them. I've seen some of the photos so far and they are of a very good standard. Some of these people within his group have a wealth of talent, and we have been very priveliged to be a part of releasing some of that talent.

Got out to Leasowe today. Remembered to take the camera and stopped off by the old Lighthouse. Heres the results...

The Lighthouse

The new offshore Windfarm

Views towards Wallasey along Leasowe Sea wall

Views towards Crosby along Leasowe Sea wall

You can see Liverpool from over the Hill.....

I have visited newbrighton coast at 01.15 am.
    It was windy,dark and wet.A few waves has crashed on me, I and my camera are soaked.

Egremont Ferry at 02.04 am

Feeling a bit salty ,going to bath.

Wow, those are great photos Kebabman.. 1:15am.??? Don't you think you should be snug in bed in that weather ?

Over here in Hawaii we heard about it on the news this morning.. It is suppose to be super ruff on all the coastal areas of England.. It sure does look nasty out... brrrrrrrr... Ta for sharing your adventure ...

The weather was very harsh last night..The newbrighton coast was like below picture..

This photo is from last year 18th of January..

At the moment storm has stopped.No wind ,no waves...
    There are grey clouds over liverpool but on above me over Wirral all white clouds and can see some blue sky.Grey clouds moving fast,the sun shining over us through clouds.

A photo from 6th of February 2008 @17.01 hours.

Watching sunset from Newbrighton.
    Last edited by kebabman; 03-12-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Stormy weather at New Brighton today

And finally when I was running away from a wave I unintentionally took a photo

an it got me

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast