Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lost Liverpool

Blog Entries

Sorry, you are right Ged - by lived in the Dingle, I meant he spent considerable periods of time there - staying at his sister's house. At the time, he had a formidable reputation, although he is, like many eminent Victorians, less well known now.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    Hi hmtmaj. I made a film in 1975 of the Old Swan Community Festival. It did a bit of a tour with the British Council and a copy was donated to Liverpool Record Office. It was a lot of street theatre and activities for children. Might be worth digging out. Who knows - you might be on it.
    Hi Colin, I have PM'd you.
    Thanks for the info above, Martin
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

Just done a bit of Googling on Matthew Arnold, Apparently he had arrived in Liverpool the day before (Saturday) and was in high spirits, vaulting over a fence to show his fitness. The following day, after church, he collapsed from a heart attack on the walk home. A nearby doctor was called who, after pouring spirits down his throat (why not!) pronounced him dead. Apparently his grandfather and father (the famous Thomas Arnold, headmaster of Rugby School) had both died prematurely from angina.
    Here again is one of those strands. Charles Melly (of Liverpool Olympics fame) was also at Rugby School as was the famous Liverpool poet Arthur Hugh Clough. In fact Clough, who was four years his junior, became best friend of Arnold. Clough's sister Anne was one of the early feminists, assisting Florence Nightingale and later becoming Principal of Newnham College, Cambridge (there is a ceramic plaque outside the Clough's house at 11 Rodney Street).
    Last edited by Colin Wilkinson; 02-17-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo

And the moral of the story is: Don't go showing off vaulting over fences

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Its a symptom I believe, many people who are going to get an attack get a sudden rush of 'strength or well being' shortly before it.

My Nan was dancing around the day before she got hers saying how wonderful she felt, and next day it was all over.

The doctor who attended said its quite common, oh and Nan had hardly moved from her chair in bleedin years before that.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that info H-asbo , my wife has just said I cant knock any more trees down for firewood, she's going to get a heat pump installed , probably a wise move ! Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    Just done a bit of Googling on Matthew Arnold, Apparently he had arrived in Liverpool the day before (Saturday) and was in high spirits, vaulting over a fence to show his fitness. The following day, after church, he collapsed from a heart attack on the walk home. A nearby doctor was called who, after pouring spirits down his throat (why not!) pronounced him dead. Apparently his grandfather and father (the famous Thomas Arnold, headmaster of Rugby School) had both died prematurely from angina.
    Here again is one of those strands. Charles Melly (of Liverpool Olympics fame) was also at Rugby School as was the famous Liverpool poet Arthur Hugh Clough. In fact Clough, who was four years his junior, became best friend of Arnold. Clough's sister Anne was one of the early feminists, assisting Florence Nightingale and later becoming Principal of Newnham College, Cambridge (there is a ceramic plaque outside the Clough's house at 11 Rodney Street).
    Hi Colin

Whether Wikipedia has it right I don't know -- as we know anybody, informed or uninformed can contribute to Wiki -- but the story that appears on the Matthew Arnold Wiki page reads:

"Arnold died suddenly in 1888 of heart failure, when running to meet a tram that would have taken him to the Liverpool Landing Stage to see his daughter, who was visiting from the United States where she had moved after marrying an American."

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Default Lost Liverpool (4)

In starting this thread about Lost Liverpool, I was concerned with those buildings that would have enhanced today’s city had they survived. The underlying criterion is that of architectural merit but that would probably not apply to Liverpool Overhead Railway, which was not a particularly beautiful structure. In the case of other inclusions, such as [...]

More...

Debra

Thanks Colin ..

Blog Entries

Nice one Colin.

Colin,

I really look forward to your entries, many thanks.

Tony

Blog Entries

Thanks Colin, The court photograph is amazing. The warehouse dominating the end of the street. The gas lamp. The puddle from the central drain reflecting the building above it. The family scene.

Quentin_Sharples

Was the location of the court identified?

This particular example was rather rare as there usually wasn't so much space in the middle of courts.

Here is a photo of a court from the early 60's The man in the raincoat is the local ministe, Rev Hill who was also the missioner of the Shrewsbury Boys Club, which used to be in Portland Place, Everton. At the top of the picture can be seen another court at right angles to the one in the picture. This picture has already been posted elsewhere on Yo. The top court was located at the top of Prince Edwin St. in Everton. The court in the picture was behind the houses at the top right hand side of Prince Edwin St.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Courts1.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	13331  

George

Looks like the rent man to me,notice all the women outside ready for an earwig when she goes in.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast