Thread: Concerned about...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

Exclamation Concerned about...

a tendancy I'm seeing with modern new-build in the city, whereby a developer buys a patch of land, builds a decent (hopefully) tower or something, but cuts it off from any other possible development with buffer-zone eyesore of meaningless grass-verges (fenced in too as in the case of the Formule 1 and the YHA Hostel), or just as bad, an ugly car-park.

This leads to lifeless buildings-in-isolation syndrome. Every 'showpiece' development existing and creating this distinctly SUBURBAN sterile undifferentiated dead-space, with no-one being able to fill in the gaps or add any contrast. I mean can someone tell me why the YHA has a dead-zone enclosed grass verge abutting onto the Strand???

I notice too that the Alexandra also intends giving us our very own dock-side car-park to look at. Can you imagine the Chrysler, Empire State, The Flat-Iron and Macy's all being 'protected' by a pig-ugly grass verge and separate car parks??

Urban devlopers should have to design urban developments NEXT to other urban developments onto STREETS.

Some of want a modern exciting metropolis for Liverpool not an al-fresco speculator's showroom.
    Last edited by The Teardrop Explodes; 11-29-2006 at 05:58 PM.