Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Merseyside Films

Blog Entries

Default Vintage Merseyside Films

FASCINATING film footage of a bygone era in Merseyside life was shown at a public screening last night.

The North West Film Archive presented the films, some of which were more than 100 years old, to an audience at Kirkby library.

They included footage shot in 1897 by early film pioneers the Lumiere brothers, showing bustling scenes of Liverpool life. continues.....

I was lucky enough to have watched a 20 minute 'silent movie' of when Liverpool last celebrated its big birthday. The 700th celebrations in 1907 showed how the people of Liverpool were involved and how it was celebrated. They even made a 'mock up' of Liverpool castle and rein-acted a battle or two, watched by the crowds. The main focus was a huge pagient which took place in various locations, mainly Liverpool's parks and grounds.

I would share it with you bought I'd probably get into all kinds of trouble. It's a proper 'gem', I'll try and get a few screen grabs though.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Hi Kev. Yes, you can buy this in town. Some great footage.

Regarding films in general that have been shot in Liverpool, some showing some great location/background shots - there is a website called reelstreets which lists these.

I have been lucky enough to see 'The Violent Playground' shot in Gerard Gardens in 1957 where I lived during the 60s and 70s. A great pictorial record of the area.

Also a couple of protest films were made - 'Us and them' in 1969 (meaning us, the people and them, the council) and 'Homes not roads' in 1978 by the Vauxhall neighbourhood council with Brian Jacques narrating. They were about the demise of Scotland Road for the building of the Kingsway tunnel and the proposed inner ring road which was defeated for a time.

theninesisters

I've got a VHS converted from a Cine film of Childwall in 1969 showing Childwall Valley Road and a sweep from the top of the church at All Saints!

I'll see if I can convert it to AVI.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post

Regarding films in general that have been shot in Liverpool, some showing some great location/background shots - there is a website called reelstreets which lists these.

I have been lucky enough to see 'The Violent Playground' shot in Gerard Gardens in 1957 where I lived during the 60s and 70s. A great pictorial record of the area.

Also a couple of protest films were made - 'Us and them' in 1969 (meaning us, the people and them, the council) and 'Homes not roads' in 1978 by the Vauxhall neighbourhood council with Brian Jacques narrating. They were about the demise of Scotland Road for the building of the Kingsway tunnel and the proposed inner ring road which was defeated for a time.
    Kev, Ged, I bought mine in St Johns Precinct. "Us and Them" - wasn't that about the people being uprooted and moved on to Canny Farm? I have this vague memory that it was. Probably wrong

Hi Ged

Many thanks for mentioning the reelstreets site which lists motion pictures shot in Liverpool and the north. I was interested to note that the 1942 film "Random Harvest" with Ronald Colman and Greer Garson is not on the list. The movie does show some scenes that are supposedly in Liverpool but I assume they were probably filmed on a Hollywood back lot.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Kev, Ged, I bought mine in St Johns Precinct. "Us and Them" - wasn't that about the people being uprooted and moved on to Canny Farm? I have this vague memory that it was. Probably wrong
    Yes, some good footage of the old school headscarfed women talking about Scottie Road, mothers talking in Woodstock Gardens about loving their area. The people were indeed moved out to Kirkby, Canny farm, Skelmersdale and even Ellesmere Port.

Gnomie

I have 'The Violent Playground' on DVD. well worth a watch

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Ged

Many thanks for mentioning the reelstreets site which lists motion pictures shot in Liverpool and the north. I was interested to note that the 1942 film "Random Harvest" with Ronald Colman and Greer Garson is not on the list. The movie does show some scenes that are supposedly in Liverpool but I assume they were probably filmed on a Hollywood back lot.

Chris
    There was a film shot in New Brighton too with some shots viewed across the good side (sorry Wirralers (is that right) - only kidding) about a boy who found something or other, yes a magnet I think. Someone lent me it last year but it was obviously so good iv'e forgotten most of it already. 1950s ish.

Gnomie

Its not Liverpool but anyone remember THE RED BALLOON?
    about a French kid who had no mates and the balloon followed him everywhere..

aaaawww i can feel the tears coming

scouserdave

There was a film shot in New Brighton too with some shots viewed across the good side (sorry Wirralers (is that right) - only kidding) about a boy who found something or other, yes a magnet I think. Someone lent me it last year but it was obviously so good iv'e forgotten most of it already. 1950s ish.
    The film was called The Magnet, Ged. Posted a few stills on YoLiverpool a while back, but no response. LOL!
    I have the DVD and it's a cracking movie. It's also got New Brighton beach and the Pier in it too.

Hi Gnomie, ScouserDave, and Ged

"The Red Balloon" -- yes, fantastic film! I will have to try to get a copy of "The Magnet."

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Its not Liverpool but anyone remember THE RED BALLOON?
    about a French kid who had no mates and the balloon followed him everywhere..

aaaawww i can feel the tears coming
    Yes, I saw it last year in French, was it translated into English?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I found some great videos of Liverpool in the 1970s/80s on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yID88wFMims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0-xWLus0FI

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Yes, I saw it last year in French, was it translated into English?

Hi Kev

Although "The Red Balloon" was made in the sound era, isn't it more or less a silent film?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by ayjaykay View Post
    I found some great videos of Liverpool in the 1970s/80s on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yID88wFMims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0-xWLus0FI
    Oh Momma!