Thread: Scenes from Liverpool Life 1895

Blog Entries

Default Scenes from Liverpool Life 1895

Time to take a short break from Lost Liverpool to look at Liverpool’s darker past. The above two photographs are from a set of lantern slides I purchased from Frank Lenhan (whose own photographs I published in My Liverpool). Frank explained that he had inherited them from his father, who was a friend of the [...]

More...

Some of these images taken from the lantern slides can be found in Freddy O'Connor's books 'A pub on every corner' and I think a few also feature in Terry Cooke's book 'The pubs of Scotland Road.' Indeed they were used as publicity material by the Temperance Society who set up the Cocoa Rooms in competition with the corner dive public houses and beer houses resulting in the ornamental Gin Palaces such as the Crown, the central commercial, the vines and the Philharmonic being built to show what splendour public houses could offer in retaliation.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Hi Ged,
    The photos in both Terry Cook's and Freddy's book are from my set of N.Stephens' lantern slides. I will post some of the others eventually - but I am intrigued as to what happened to the Church of England Termperance Society's photos. Probably lost - but who knows.

by all accounts, drinking and lawlessness was a terrible problem in Liverpool ;

Taken from the book, ' In The Shelter of Each Other'. Jack Maddox.

'Some of the most appalling slums in the western hemisphere'. - A description by Arthur Christiansen in 1920's, a reporter for the Liverpool Echo :
    - into the slums flocked harlots and every conceivable brand of villain. Mayhem and murder, booze and bawdiness, along with child neglect, made these streets and their environs a by-word in Merseyside notoriety.

There was a reference in the 1882 Health Committee to the reckless class of inhabitants south of Millers Bridge, where it was the towns scarlet badge of infamy.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shelter-Each.../dp/0750951028

Sounds like some of the present day sink estates
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Sounds like some of the present day sink estates
    I was going to say, in some ways things you'd wonder if we are returning to those days !! what with feral gangs, crime, etc.
    Alcohol is once again a problem, and every innercity district has it's fair share of alcoholics - there are certainly plenty around here anyway !!

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

I was thinking the same. Now we have the added problems in Liverpool of easily found drugs.

I am going to get at least one of those books.

I don't see this in my neighbourhood but during the presidential campaign when I was going door to door in Pennsylvania I was in an old mining area in the Pocono Mountains one weekend. Mines were closed, work there ended years ago. There were broken alcohol bottles littered in the streets and empty cigarette packets. It was so depressing. I am sure we have these neighbourhoods in the Bronx and other parts of NYC, I have just never seen them. I do however work with the Red Cross (Have not been for ages, this thread is giving me a push to go back in) and the people who lost everything in tenement fires in the Bronx etc. seemed so used to it and empty. Red Cross trained me as a case worker (volunteer) and so I had to get all the info from them and allot them $300 each man, woman and child and whatever they needed but they went through it on 'rote'.

I have no answers, where there is poverty alcohol and drugs will always be prominent
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I was going to say, in some ways things you'd wonder if we are returning to those days !! what with feral gangs, crime, etc.
    Alcohol is once again a problem, and every innercity district has it's fair share of alcoholics - there are certainly plenty around here anyway !!
    Some of us alcoholics aint no trouble to no one Lindy...