Thread: Lancaster House

Default Lancaster House

Lancaster House , Old Hall Street is where I used to work when I first left school, back in 1969. I was a GPO Telephonist. St Pauls Eye Hospital used to be opposite But I remember it being relocated.. Just wondering if the Lancaster House building is still there? I have many happy memories of working there, along with about 600 other telephonists, my dad also worked from there, he was a telephone engineer, so I was lucky I could often get a lift to work. We spent many happy lunch hours in The Spiral Staircase. Sometimes we would go to a cafe on the corner of Old Hall Street for lunch, also does anyone remember The Berni Inn? It was on the opposite corner to the cafe?

I know the area very well and my Uncle Jimmy worked in Lancaster house for yonks. Living locally we'd sometimes go the spiral staircase in the evenings, the Berni Inn was part of the Albany frontage. I'd also have to take our works special delivery mails to the post office in Old Hall st in that row of shops now demolished.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Think my dad worked there for over 30 years, till he retired around 71/72

I worked in Lancaster House from 1979 in the Canteen. Used to go in the Spiral Staircase, and also on a Friday went over to the King Edward pub, by where Costco is now.

Blog Entries

The Spiral Staircase? Now there IS a turn-up for the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I know the area very well and my Uncle Jimmy worked in Lancaster house for yonks. Living locally we'd sometimes go the spiral staircase in the evenings, the Berni Inn was part of the Albany frontage. I'd also have to take our works special delivery mails to the post office in Old Hall st in that row of shops now demolished.
    I used to go into that Post Office Ged when I worked in Vauxhall Road, I used to fancy the girl behind the counter, her boyfriend worked in Albert Letherens on St Anne Street, he was a singer in a band.

Just a thought Mercury Court ,the old Exchange station, has 2 houses inside a Yorkshire and a Lancashire House both with spiral staircases

THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a