YO! Liverpool

Thread: Atalanta 3/Feb/1942

Thanks

Default Atalanta 3/Feb/1942

Hello,
    Seeking information of an incident concerning the motor vessel ATALANTA official number 85813 (often misspelled ATLANTA) in the Mersey off Rock Ferry 3/Feb/1942.
    Four men lost their lives

ADVERTISING

GEORGE DEREK ATKIN, Deck Hand

JOHN COOKE, Mate

SAMUEL LOWE, Engineer

JAMES A PARRY, Master

There is little or no information about this occurrence in general maritime sources. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks
    Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 02-09-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: New info

Thanks

Hello again
    Although I cannot come up with a watertight scenario to the best of my knowledge ATALANTA was sunk in collision (probably after striking a vessels cable) on the night of 2/3 Feb 1942 off Rock Ferry, Wirral. She was carrying a cargo of sand and would have sunk rapidly. She was refloated and beached at Tranmere. The wreck was sold as scrap for 150 to William Cooper and Sons ltd. of Widnes. They had a contractual agreement to break her up but due to an oversight she remained on the Chester register until August 1953.
    ATALANTA was owned in 1937 by Robert J Parry of 188 Chester Road, Flint, later of Rosendale, Fforddisa, Prestatyn.
    She was sold around 5th July 1940 to North Western Construction, Ruthven Road, Litherland, Liverpool. This company was no doubt responsible for construction work at Heysham.
    She was sold again 16/Oct/1941 to Abel Barges ltd of 3 Rumford Place, Liverpool. Her owners at the time of loss.
    If any of the families of the men named in my first post read this. Please contact me @ rogerhollywood@aol.com.

Thanks
    Roger