Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chipping Street, Liverpool 8

Funny thing is, I don't ever remember walking down Bouverie St, even though I must have passed the top of it hundreds of times. The rear of the 'new' police station in Admiral St. would be were it existed. Appropriate really, because in the 1891 census, out of the 23 houses 3 were occupied by rozzers.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyvalentine View Post
    Yes it did and yes it was unadopted.

It also had coble stones the full length of the road.

We used to cut through there on our way to Princess Park. (just a bit of useless information hee hee)
    I do remember those cobble stones.

Default chipping st

yes it was.The street was cobbled all the way through i lived in hodges mount at the top of which was chipping st it ran from the edge of the resevoir which is letitia st to admiral street at the other end next to the resevoir sanwiched between it and the school was a house wherein lived a boy from the school i think he was in the year below me his family name was Gargan further along chipping st was the coalyard of Alf the coalman and at the end was the United services club which had the Gym above for the boxing club Golden Gloves I remember being there one night when a local boxing hero Terry Wenton came in
    Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    I just thought of something from my school days I thought you might be interested in!
    I went to Our Lady of Mount Carmel School on North Hill St/Letitia Street near Park Road.
    At the back of the top playground (behind the reservoir) there is a little fenced off part. It is the remains of Chipping Street. It only has cobble stones and alot of overgrowth, but would be interesting to see if anyone knows if it was a fully functioning street at one time?
    Last edited by essexscouse; 04-12-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: wrong road quoted

Default Chipping Street

Yes, the boy you talk of, his name was Paul........I remember him well, he used to run down Hodges Mount, as if he was riding a horse ohhh happy days

I think there were a few of us who used to do that....but always alone . I always treated my 'horse' fairly, never asking him to do anything I wouldn't do myself.

Dave.

Default hodges mount

Yep, only treat one as you would have treat yourself

Gosh, the games we used to play. So innocent, yet wonderful

I noticed a few of Mount Carmel on this 1973 flickr set. Are any of the streets you're looking for on there?

http://www.flickr.com/groups/60302053@N00/pool/page30/

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Our lady of Mount Carmel/Hodges Mount

Thank you Ged,

Some wonderful pictures of Our lady of Mount Carmel. However, haven't come across Hodges Mount yet . But I am sure it will turn up one day along with all the other old streets from the area.

Thanks again.

Kindest Wishes
    Chrissy

Default Hodges Mount

After saying that, found a picture of the site of our street, after the demolition the houses (sad). If anyone one wants it I have a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    First time I've seen a mention of Bouverie st.
    my aunty & uncle lived there. We used to visit a lot. Would love to see a photo of Bouverie street to refresh my memory. It was demolished many years ago. ( the street - not my memory !)

As requested. From my trip to the LRO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bouverie st.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	10124  

I notice Letitia street also got a couple of mentions so here she is

Both have been added to this page of my site along with some others.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=44843738&cr=7

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Letitia st.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	10125  

Ged,

big ta's for those mate, especially the Bouverie St. one...it might just about be unique.

Dave.

Ged, thanks for that Bouverie st pic. When I was a kid I used to go with my mum or nan most weeks to visit an aunty & uncle. Have never seen a photo of the street since. Thanks
    Not sure if my aunty & uncles house is showing on the pic - will ask my mum to see if she recognises it.

You're both welcome Dave and Lindy. Having pretty much got everything out of the records office for myself now (until the next time I think of something), I took a list of those streets that forumers here and elsewhere were looking for. If you can't enlarge those pics to full screen let me know and i'll upload again using imageshack.

re Bouverie st; anyone who knew the area well - is the pic taken from Chipping st end or the other end ?
    My relatives lived nearer to Chipping st end. I'll have to find out from my elderly aunt if she remembers the corner shop which is on that photo.
    Last edited by lindylou; 05-06-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast