Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chipping Street, Liverpool 8

MissInformed

Default Chipping Street, Liverpool 8

I just thought of something from my school days I thought you might be interested in!
    I went to Our Lady of Mount Carmel School on North Hill St/Letitia Street near Park Road.
    At the back of the top playground (behind the reservoir) there is a little fenced off part. It is the remains of Chipping Street. It only has cobble stones and alot of overgrowth, but would be interesting to see if anyone knows if it was a fully functioning street at one time?

scouserdave

This is from one of the Godfrey maps, Toxteth 1906. I've got all the Liverpool ones and often refer to them. According to the map, Chipping Street is about 600 feet in length

MissInformed

thanks dave
    much appreciated.
    wonder if there is any pics....

Hi MissInformed

Not a picture of Chipping Street as such but there is a photograph of Our Lady of Mount Carmel - High Park Street on Toxteth.net and they note that "Our Lady of Mount Carmel first appears in the 'Liverpool Directory' of 1867 when the address is given as 'Chipping Street, Toxteth Park', . . ." See

http://toxteth.net/places/liverpool/...t%20carmel.htm

All my best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

MissInformed

thanks for info chris.
    I have seen that on toxteth.net.
    It's a shame there is not a pic of Chipping Street around.
    I have searched Liverpool Records online cataloue too, but doesn't seem to be anything.

I think I know the bit you mean... no photos though.

Dave, agree with you on the Godfrey maps - I have most of the Liverpool ones and they're amazing... the differences between then and now are unreal...

That's the little street behind the church and Admiral Stree Police Station - you can get your wedding pics taken in the little garden behind Lady Mount when you get married there.

FKoE

how many times have you been married Pootie

Twice is pushin' it by der way

Just the once - to the love of my life for 21 years (I was a child bride) - he is my 'Beshert' as they say in Yiddish.

MissInformed

awww bless!
    yeah, the garden behind the church...memories!

I remember the teachers used to let us clean the rubbish out of Chipping Street for a treat on a Friday afternoon, and we used to actually argue to be the chosen ones!! how sad were we??

Your cup runneth over!

Default Chipping Street

Yes Chipping Street, was the street, that ran along the top of our street (Hodges Mount). Remember the cobbles well, we used to burst the tar bubbles in between them with ly ice sticks on the hot summer days....ohhh they were the days

Didn't Bouverie Street - which ran into Chipping Street from High Park Street - have those waist-high posts to stop through traffic?...and wasn't it 'unadopted'?

Quote Originally Posted by Davec View Post
    Didn't Bouverie Street - which ran into Chipping Street from High Park Street - have those waist-high posts to stop through traffic?...and wasn't it 'unadopted'?
    First time I've seen a mention of Bouverie st.
    my aunty & uncle lived there. We used to visit a lot. Would love to see a photo of Bouverie street to refresh my memory. It was demolished many years ago. ( the street - not my memory !)

Default Bouverie st.

Yes it did and yes it was unadopted.

It also had coble stones the full length of the road.

We used to cut through there on our way to Princess Park. (just a bit of useless information hee hee)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast