Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Pier Head Area

Blog Entries

What a great 1st post! Welcome and excellent pics! Keep 'em coming

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Nothing to do with either development but it concerns the Pier Head

Over 40 canadian maple trees will be felled at the Pier Head and they will later replaced by 90 Norwegian maples.The Shanghai Palace Chinese restaurant will be demolished after it closes on February 17th and subject to planning approval a new ferry terminal will be built.

Will have to try and get some pics of the Shanghai before It goes.

They always come up crap though when I try.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Those Maple trees form part of the Canadian war memorial, don't they?. I took pics a while ago of the memorial pavement slabs and I'd advise anyone who's interested should do the same...just incase a truck cracks any. All the times I've passed down the Pier Head, I've never bothered to take pics of the ferry/restaurant buildings...nor the giant ice-cream cone at the side.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

I think people hate the idea of this on the waterfront but like everything else it will become accepted in the future,remember the liver building caused uproar when that was first revealed.

could anyone point me in the right direction as to where abouts i can find some more information on this uproar?? or if anyone could give me any info on this? this could really help me with my dissertation.... How and why was the uproar caused?

Blog Entries

Default Pier Head closed off until spring ’08

LIVERPOOL’S world-famous Pier Head, centrepiece of the city’s World Heritage Site, is to be closed to the public for more than 15 months.

So much work is to be carried out, officials decided to turn it into a huge building site until the spring of 2008.

The riverfront, with its famous Three Graces, is one of the most photographed in the country, but is currently being surrounded by a seven-foot high fence.

It will mean that within days the Pier Head riverfront will be out of bounds to the public for the rest of Liverpool’s 800th birthday year, and until well into 2008 when the city celebrates being European Capital of Culture.Last night, Liverpool Labour leader Cllr Joe Anderson said: “This couldn’t happen at a worse time when we are parading ourselves on the world stage.

“We are into two of the most important years ever for the city, and we slam shut what is our front door. I know the work has to be done, but to do it now is a disaster. I blame inertia within the council and the fight between (former leader and chief executive) Mike Storey and Sir David Henshaw.

“It is as though somebody pressed a pause button on the city’s progress and now we are paying a heavy price for all of that squabbling and the bickering. Officials saying it will transform the city in the coming years does not cut any ice with me.

“ Even in 1207 AD, they would have known that in 2007 we would be 800 years old. It is not as though this has crept up on us.”

Ann Meek, tour manager with Maghull Coaches, who operate an open-top tourist bus service round Liverpool’s attractions said: “This will be such a shame. The Pier Head is the most popular stop along the route. People who are not interested in The Beatles or football will have seen pictures of the Pier Head. It is internationally recognised and a business stopping point for people wanting to take their own pictures. We will have to work our way around this.”

British Waterways will be constructing a canal link across the Pier Head, but there will also be extensive public realm work and the construction of a new marshalling area for cars waiting for the Isle of Man ferries. continues.....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

WTF are they doing? We're celebrating our 800th birthday and they decide to do this? Why am I not surprised.

This gives all of the Capital of Culture knockers all of the ammunition they needed,instead of focusing on all of the positives that are happening we've given them the headlines they crave.British Waterways changed their plans 5 times so that hasn't helped,it'll be fantastic when it's done but I'd hoped at least the canal would've been finished.

scouserdave

Waterways must be laughing, crying whilst reading this news (can one do all three at the same time?)

PhilipG

Buses only going as far as Lewis's.
    Streets closed round the Paradise Project.
    And now the Pier Head is going to be out of bounds.

Why, all of a sudden, is the public barred from parts of their city?
    In the past, they would make sure that the public weren't so inconvenienced.

I hope 2008 is going to be worth it!

Great pics scouslad, you are in the right thread, post #166 shows them too.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Good lord what a brilliant idea. They should hire TopGear. They get things done uber fast. Canal in 1 day, no probs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Cracking pics Lad, thanks.
    There's a few more taken by the Museum guys over at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nationa...7594467459766/
    Thanks for that link Dave
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Cracking pics Lad, thanks.
    There's a few more taken by the Museum guys over at: