Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Pier Head Area

Quote Originally Posted by )3az )3aziah View Post
    Which makes it look 100% better than the modern structures they are putting up all over the city.

OK I don't like them but please that is my opinion and taking the P!ss out of me for having an opinon is a sure way of driving off a new member.

Perhaps I should have come here with an "Isn't the new Liverpool the best thing since sliced bread" attitude and been better accepted ?
    I don't think anyone was taking the piss, you were ****ging the new buildings for being concrete and praising the Liver Building which was the original steel reinforced concrete building,
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    I don't think anyone was taking the piss, you were ****ging the new buildings for being concrete and praising the Liver Building which was the original steel reinforced concrete building,
    Yeah but you do have to admit that the Liver looks a lot, lot better than the new ones they are putting up.

They learned a lot from the construction of the Liver buildings -sadly esthetics was one that was forgotten (in my opinion) on the new buildings they are putting up now.

I'm going to say no more on the subject now and choose to stand back and keep my opinions to myself.

I still have a few more photo's to add though and will stick to that. My photography is hopefully better than my tastes in modern architecture

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by )3az )3aziah View Post
    Yeah but you do have to admit that the Liver looks a lot, lot better than the new ones they are putting up.

They learned a lot from the construction of the Liver buildings -sadly esthetics was one that was forgotten (in my opinion) on the new buildings they are putting up now.

I'm going to say no more on the subject now and choose to stand back and keep my opinions to myself.

I still have a few more photo's to add though and will stick to that. My photography is hopefully better than my tastes in modern architecture
    You posted your "taking the P***" comment with my quote, so I don't know if you're blaming me.
    I responded to a previous comment, which was meant (I'm sure) lightheartedly.
    Don't be so thin-skinned & do please continue to post.

BTW, the Romans invented concrete, so it's been around for quite a while.

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

To be honest Baz, I think most of us would share your concerns about most commercial modern architecture in terms of:

1.)its lack if finish.
    2.)its overuse of short-lived faddy cliches. Remember the curved roof fad?
    3.)the modern economic inability to construct any stucture that isn't a simple mass-produced square, rectangle, circle or oval- leading to rectangular blocks everywhere rather than the spires, domes, irregular differentiated structures of yore.

Baz, I speak as a contemporary designer and a hyper-modernist, but you had a point, yes, modern architecture is, in many ways a heap of cheap, crude, simplified, unskilled, generic, synthetic, plazzy, ****e.

But: old stuff v new stuff- it's like comparing oranges to pears. And it's not going to change, so we just have to try to like the plazzy ****e!

We've got some ok stuff going up here despite the all the above shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    To be honest Baz, I think most of us would share your concerns about most commercial modern architecture in terms of:

1.)its lack if finish.
    2.)its overuse of short-lived faddy cliches. Remember the curved roof fad?
    3.)the modern economic inability to construct any stucture that isn't a simple mass-produced square, rectangle, circle or oval- leading to rectangular blocks everywhere rather than the spires, domes, irregular differentiated structures of yore.

Baz, I speak as a contemporary designer and a hyper-modernist, but you had a point, yes, modern architecture is, in many ways a heap of cheap, crude, simplified, unskilled, generic, synthetic, plazzy, ****e.

But: old stuff v new stuff- it's like comparing oranges to pears. And it's not going to change, so we just have to try to like the plazzy ****e!

We've got some ok stuff going up here despite the all the above shortcomings.
    I cant agree more, though I do like Oranges more than Pears

Dig unearths maritime past

THE city’s maritime past is being explored by a team of archaeologists on the Liverpool waterfront.

A dig is taking place in the Manchester Dock, Mann Island, which once teemed with barges coming and going between 1785 and 1920.

The excavation takes place before work on the new Museum of Liverpool begins this year.

The dock was originally used as a depot for barges of the Shropshire Union Canal Company and Great Western Railway.

It played an important role in Liverpool’s import and export trade. It handled coal and manufactured goods leaving the city and corn and cotton coming in.

The dock had been filled in with rubble from the construction of the Mersey tunnel.

Among the discoveries are torpedo shaped pots used in the manufacture of sugar.

These artefacts from Liverpool’s industrial history and other finds will be displayed in one of the new museum’s key galleries.

The museum will be built by 2008 and open to the public in 2010. It will be housed in a new landmark building and cover the social history and popular culture of Merseyside.

Viewing platforms, running along the riverside, allow the public to view the excavation for the next fortnight.

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL’S oldest horse taxi service has been moved from its traditional rank at the Pier Head as work starts on the UK’s first canal project for more than a century. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

"Liverpool's oldest horse-taxi service"

????!!!!!

*S******

I've never EVER seen it!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by The

Teardrop Explodes;42703
    "Liverpool's oldest horse-taxi service" ????!!!!!

*S******

I've never EVER seen it!
    Probably because

it never gets to London!

He used to have his stables near the Pivvy in Lodge Lane, but I don't know where he's based now.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 02-27-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL’S Pier Head will be open in time for Capital of Culture celebrations. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Brilliant news.

Question

About a year ago I read that the Liver Building and other buildings around the city such as the town hall could get a clean before 2008. Does anyone know if this is still planned? The town hall could certainly do with a sandblasting. It would be the same colour as St Georges Hall after cleaning!!

Blog Entries

WORK will start within days on the new Museum of Liverpool at the city’s historic waterfront.

National Museums Liverpool confirmed it had chosen a UK-Danish contractor to build the multi-million pound showpiece building on the day that a controversial new terminal for the Mersey Ferries also won planning approval.

continues.....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Yesss!!

scouserdave

A couple of shots from yesterday

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast