Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Merseyside buildings

One only has to look at Knowsley councils effort at the Tower Hill estate built 47 years ago. The first phase was built at a cost of £4,700 per unit,the council in their wisdom thought that was a bit expensive and decided to build the second phase at the Parker Morris minimum for council houses which only cost about £2,400 each.
    When completed the second phase was called the Barracks because thats what they looked like.you had to use special plugs to hang pictures on the walls.
    Over the years they have cost a lot of more money than the first phase to keep maintained.
    They have been turned around so the front of the houses became the back,wooden cladding has been replaced by plastic and all roofing replaced.
    The first phase maintenance was a lick of paint every 5 years or so, a case of pennywise and pound foolish.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGurk View Post
    The architects for Wellington Business Park were DLA from Manchester. DLA have completed many buildings with much design merit.

Industrial/Commercial buildings of this type have been honed and refined for decades. The brief would have been very tight indeed without much room, or call for, architectural expression.

It's a light industrial park offering cost-effective space to get business going in the area. Architecture with a capital A here just wouldn't work - in fact, would put some tenants off.

Buildings must do a job. Sometimes part of that job is to look exceptional or even just good. Sometimes not. This building has a good BREEAM rating (is energy efficient) and no doubt performs on many other levels.

I'm sure DLA did a good job to meet the brief - anything else and they may have been called for messing about instead of getting the job done.

Sometimes you can't win. Other times you must lose.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Very little modern housing has an architect within a hundred miles of them. More's the pity.

As construction prices have increased, so houses have got ever smaller to stay even vaguely affordable. The Parker Morris standards were meant to be a minimum not a guide. Now they've been dropped, they're an aspiration.

On the plus side they're warmer and cost less to run but in the old days you'd just put a jumper on, so...
    All your points are excuses for a very boring building
    If they are award winning architects then they could have done better. This looks like a kitset shed
    which does have its place but a least it could have been an interesting kitset,I agree with Ged all the replacement new build is utilitarian redbrick,mean sized and instantly on the short shelf life list.
    These building have an enormous effect on the streetscape,even in business park situations the people who walk past ,them work in them, sit looking at them from their space deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    All your points are excuses for a very boring building
    If they are award winning architects then they could have done better. This looks like a kitset shed
    which does have its place but a least it could have been an interesting kitset,I agree with Ged all the replacement new build is utilitarian redbrick,mean sized and instantly on the short shelf life list.
    These building have an enormous effect on the streetscape,even in business park situations the people who walk past ,them work in them, sit looking at them from their space deserve better.
    Our small town has design standards to keep it different from the surrounding areas... no old buildings here, but new building do have to have architectural approval to not look like square boxes.

The guidelines are here -

http://www.orovalleyaz.gov/Assets/_a...ards+final.pdf

Much easier to do for a new town (founded in the 70's) than an old city like Liverpool though...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    All your points are excuses for a very boring building.
    Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough... architects are often criticised for designing interesting buildings. Only to be then criticised for designing dull ones.

New designs tend to use innovative (untried and untested) details and building materials - as a consequence they tend to cost more per se (ask any builder).

They need more (costly) design development. They tend to give the client more risk of building failure. They are more difficulties in the planning system (ask any planner).

The more you repeat something the simpler it gets - there's a whole industry out there geared to produce the same - over and over, because it's cheap and therefore it gets done.

To develop an 'interesting' kit of parts requires big investment and a long production run to make it worthwhile.

We don't do it. Sweden does - and not just furniture... boklok. The UK is now in the situation were even the humdrum is more expensive and less do-able.

A question of priorities. Sometimes, people just want run-of-the-mill. They want tried and tested. They want a repeat prescription.

In this case no doubt the priority was to get a difficult job done effectively (encouraging small businesses in a deprived area). A job that clients and society says are more important than pretty or interesting architecture.

Some people think they deserve employment opportunities ahead of architects' 'messing about with design'. They would be right.

As I say sometimes architects can't win, sometimes they must lose.

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post

New liverpool building by exacta2a, on Flickr

First the windows

new liverpool building by exacta2a, on Flickr

then the roof

The Mann Island apartment building part of a window cleaning round

"Jimmy, it's your turn to knock on that window and ask for a fresh bucket. Now, where's my chamois?"

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

If its not 4 miles high, and black and shiny..sorry,
    then we dont know whats good for us..

I only live on Scottie Road, born and bred like my parents before me..
    I still live there, and am like them before me very happy and content..

But what do I know.. ?... I obviously dont know what I'm on about or whats good for me..

I'll let some fresh faced pimply straight out of uni idiot with no experience in life decide
    whats good for me...
    some scouse yuppie gobsh*** with his etch a sketch skyscraper doodling machine..

High Density.. thats what we want all over Scottie Road and the dockland..
    ship the money bag nice but dim brigade in..
    ship the generations of working class riff raff out..
    Off yer go... up to Skem with you lot.....

Tim nice but dim..
    the more money than sense architect coke head party boy knows whats best for me..

Gerard..
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Fleming View Post
    Tim nice but dim..
    the more money than sense architect coke head party boy knows whats best for me..
    If you're happy and content, good luck to you. Lots of people aren't.

Some people would like to do something about it and there not all pimply youths with a £20 note up their nose (I wish).

Yuppies displacing people in the North End? No one's begging anyone for houses down Scottie Road way.

... .Some people would like to do something about it and there not all pimply youths with a £20 note up their nose (I wish).

Would them 'some people' be your associates with the £50 note stuck up their nose.. ?

Thanks, but your rubbish does not wash with me....

Gerard.

Blog Entries

Thanks, but your rubbish does not wash with me....
    And neither yours with me. As I said if you're happy with where you are and with what you've got, good luck to you.

And neither yours with me. As I said if you're happy with where you are and with what you've got, good luck to you.

I'm more than happy, couldn't be happier, thank you...

Your online blog by the way, the photo description of Gerard Gardens being demolished..?
    Thats the Gerard Crescent area, Gerard Gardens is not in the photo..
    theres a good chap, toddle off and put that right....
    and do get in touch if you need more 1st hand info on the area...

Gerard.

Blog Entries

I'm more than happy, couldn't be happier, thank you...

Your online blog by the way, the photo description of Gerard Gardens being demolished..?
    Thats the Gerard Crescent area, Gerard Gardens is not in the photo..
    theres a good chap, toddle off and put that right....
    and do get in touch if you need more 1st hand info on the area...

Gerard.
    Thanks, I'll do that.

But I would like to know what you find so objectionable about what you've read there (clearly you do).

You take pictures. You've looked at the area. You live there...

I live in Huyton. Too much coke-sniffing going on for my liking but hey, it's fine.

Thanks, I'll do that.

But I would like to know what you find so objectionable about what you've read there (clearly you do).

You take pictures. You've looked at the area. You live there...

I live in Huyton. Too much coke-sniffing going on for my liking but hey, it's fine.

Anytime... I'm glad to be of help..

I don't find anything objectionable, I've seen it all before..

Thanks..

Gerard.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

The photo on your blog Peter shows the 'Gerard Crescent area being demolished'
    inc... Cartwright, Downe, Lionel and Thurlow House in the foreground..
    the shop being demolished was Jim Morans... use what you want of that on your blog...

If i can help you out photo wise with any photographs around the Stanley Dock area..
    inc the tunnel you mention of which I took photos under.. then get in touch..
    if you dont mind my copyright mark on them I'd let you use whatever you want..
    and I have thousands of photos all over the area.... PM if you are interested...

Gerard.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Same as most places now fella. Even here in Norris Green.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234