Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardens, Tenements and Courts

Ha ha. I heard it on the 7pm news so sent my brother and nephew up who only live behind the Green Man. He couldn't email me them last night as they were watching the programme on the Titanic at 9pm - does that satisfy you

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

A bit late but here are some of them taken by my Nephew, Roving reporter on the scene, Dan Fagan.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HI there
    My mother lived at 28 SPeke Road Gardens in the 30's - Brackenridge was her name -
    then she moved on to live at 95 All Saints Road in Speke-
    I would love to get my hands on a photo of 28SPeke Road Gardens-

I am new to this website - loving it - looking for information about my family
    Milward - Brackenrdige - Garston and SPeke -
    My nana lived at 10 Jackson strete - no longer there- across the road from the "triplets"
    The triplets were born approx. 1962-65 ish?
    Any idea of their name - met them as kids - they knew my Nana -
    Would love to find them or my long lost 2nd cousins - Bartons from Hunts Cross-
    Peter and Chris - must be 55 now?
    thanks for anything
    thanks
    julie
    ANyone knowing my Unlce Ronnie Brackenridge - or there many cousing the "Griffiths" please let me know-
    thanks again

Pics of Speke Road Gardens are on my site below but not sure if No28 specifically is shown.

Hi Julie! Ged ommitted to tell you to look at 'Other Tennement Pics' on his great site! for Speke Rd Gardens, the pics showing the playground would be the nearest to the block that held no 28, but I don't think it is actually seen. Cheers

Four stills from a 2 hour video taken in June 1987 showing the demolition of Gerard Gardens.

The first shows the moment the main arch of the Vicky caves in.

The 2nd shows the crane in full swing and as the ball hits the landing, barely a piece of dust is scattered, so well were these built.

The 3rd shows part of one the landings finally falling

The 4th shows a workman drilling through one of the reinforced concrete landings to weaken it, this must have been a labourious and thankless job.

It's actually very well documented from a number of different angles and on occassions, some of the local residents are seen.

Makes yer wonder why that bloke was drillin through the concrete when the ball and chain was doing the work.

Most odd.

If you saw what little impact this ball was having, even being dropped from a great height, I expect the crane driver needed whatever help he could get. Sloyan Doyles time and motion man would have had a field day with the length of time this was taking. The demolition of Cartwright House started in the Spring of 1986 and these guys are still at it on this vid in June 87, on only the 2nd block of Gerard Gardens with the longest one, 13 flats long, still to go.

I suspect that iron girders went along the concrete walkways? would have to be eally for strenght.

Irn Bru...Made fom Girders.

These type of tennements were built to last. It was the councils lack of interest in maintaining them that led to their demise. Most would still be standing today if they had been cared for properly. They were too quickly written off and should have protected as they were part of our heritage. If you visit parts of London many of there post WW1 flats are still standing.

I have seen plenty of post WW2 flats demolished when less than 30 years old, what a waste.

Hi Folks, im looking for any info on mills of Liverpool, on behalf of a friend, he seems to think they were in the Brownlow Hill area & Poss
    Moorfields area, stating he had ancestors who were Millers. regards. davydun

Well, there was Mill Lane and Mill Street to name but two sites, as well as several on Everton Heights I believe... But there are old drawings and paintings that showed them dotted about almost everywhere, certainly on the high ground above the river in the Dingle

Quote Originally Posted by davydun View Post
    Hi Folks, im looking for any info on mills of Liverpool, on behalf of a friend, he seems to think they were in the Brownlow Hill area & Poss
    Moorfields area, stating he had ancestors who were Millers. regards. davydun

Try here davy.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...iverpool+mills

Last year, author and film maker of Gardens of Stone and myself were invited down to FACT for a documentary being made about Housing in Liverpool. Unfortunately due to other commitments on the day, I couldn't make it but Paul and another couple of friends did and the resulting programme ''The Great Estate' - The rise and fall of council houses. can be seen on BBC4 next monday 11th April at 9pm - repeated on Thursday 14th April at 8pm.

Dunno what the program is based upon? but I'm led to believe that the council(Liverpool) do not own any stock housing anymore? they alledgedly sold them all off to the housing associations?.

However I am also told that a certain large housing association within the housing association pool is a council run association,wether this is true I don't have real evidence to back it up but it sure is questionable as to why they're saying the council housing stock no longer exist if it is true?.

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast