Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardens, Tenements and Courts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gardens, Tenements and Courts

-
    Last edited by Ross08; 01-25-2008 at 03:03 AM.

MissInformed

Hi Ross
    Great web site.
    My mum used to live in King Gardens in Liverpool 8 in the 60's, and I have found it so hard to find a pic of them for her.
    I have attached the ones I have come across so far...hope it helps!!
    There is also a pic of Caryl Gardens, L8.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingy.jpg 
Views:	8147 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gore_mill.jpg 
Views:	9802 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carylgardens1938.jpg 
Views:	8348 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	254  

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    Hi Ross
    Great web site.
    My mum used to live in King Gardens in Liverpool 8 in the 60's, and I have found it so hard to find a pic of them for her.
    I have attached the ones I have come across so far...hope it helps!!
    There is also a pic of Caryl Gardens, L8.
    i too lived in king gardens and sussex gardens from 1973-1984.any pics or correspondense

leightontrading@aol.com

You look young Leighton

You'll have noticed some of King Gardens photies already put up, i'll try and dig some out of Sussex Gardens, some of it still there of course as Acorn Apartments.

You can see a video of the Health Minister declaring St Andrews Gardens open on the British Pathe News website. I cant post an exact link but if you go to http://www.britishpathe.com/index.html

Click on Advanced on the Search facility and type in 819.44 for the Film ID you should find it.

You need to register and will only get a low quality version for free.

Mike

Default Burroughs baths

Ged do you have any info / photo of Burroughs baths? My old feller taught me to swim there and I recall that there was a communal shower where everybody piled in shivering under luke warm water! I also used to go there for a bath (now and again) and it cost 2d. A man using a brass key filled the bath ,this was the water you got and no more,but it was great for a really good scrub.There was a "brylcream" vending machine in the corridor outside the bathrooms, it cost a penny a go.
    I seem to remember there was a large Salvation Army building close by or even adjacent to the baths.

Default Website update.

I now have 115 photographs of Gerard Gardens/Crescent on my website below. Pictures courtesy of Joe Devine. Taken from 1985-7.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I now have 115 photographs of Gerard Gardens/Crescent on my website below. Pictures courtesy of Joe Devine. Taken from 1985-7.
    Excellent, Ged.
    Thanks.

Cheers Phil. I was in the records office last sat and got Roscommon Street out, noticed you'd had the folder out in Jan - no doubt looking for the Tivoli but there's a good one there of the old Rossy wasn't there.

Jimbo. Did see a picture of Burrough's baths on the web somewhere but can't find it now, next time i'm in the records office I'll root one out as they do have them.

PhilipG

Cheers Phil. I was in the records office last sat and got Roscommon Street out, noticed you'd had the folder out in Jan - no doubt looking for the Tivoli but there's a good one there of the old Rossy wasn't there.

Jimbo. Did see a picture of Burrough's baths on the web somewhere but can't find it now, next time i'm in the records office I'll root one out as they do have them.
    That's a great pic of the Roscommon.
    The Tivoli closed about 1954, and was demolished for Cavour House and Garibaldi House (1961).

I've put another link to your site here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4443567...57594561578687

Thanks Phil

So the Tivoli was nearer the top of the street then. I got a laser copy of that pic of Mazzini & Garibaldi House, My nan and Uncle lived there in the 1970s. Cavour was the 3rd one in the row I think.

Don't know if you saw last Saturdays Echo, the flashback 3 page article featured my most recent book and some tenement pics including a Violent Playground rest moment with Anne Heywood and the film director I hadn't seen before.

PhilipG

Thanks Phil

So the Tivoli was nearer the top of the street then. I got a laser copy of that pic of Mazzini & Garibaldi House, My nan and Uncle lived there in the 1970s. Cavour was the 3rd one in the row I think.

Don't know if you saw last Saturdays Echo, the flashback 3 page article featured my most recent book and some tenement pics including a Violent Playground rest moment with Anne Heywood and the film director I hadn't seen before.
    The Tivoli was on the corner of Garibaldi Street.
    When the blocks were built I checked the maps and the site of the Tiv went through the right side of Cavour House and the left side of Garibaldi House (if that makes sense - I should have checked the compass points).

I always photo the pics in the library.
    They've no objections (as long as you don't use flash), and I'm quite pleased with the Macro setting on my camera.

So, needless to say, this is a copy of one from the LRO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garibaldi.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	1603  

Yep Phil, that's the one I got. Also a pic of the flats that were on Arkwright street in the background and further back again is the rear of the tenements on Scotland Road called Wilbraham House. Gerard was asking about photographing in the search room, don't they still ask you to sign a copyright disclaimer that the pics are for personal use only and not for publication.

PhilipG

Yep Phil, that's the one I got. Also a pic of the flats that were on Arkwright street in the background and further back again is the rear of the tenements on Scotland Road called Wilbraham House. Gerard was asking about photographing in the search room, don't they still ask you to sign a copyright disclaimer that the pics are for personal use only and not for publication.
    You sign for the search room, so it may be included there.
    Otherwise, I don't sign anything, but I think they assume that I know the rules.
    I have been going there for almost 40 years!

40 YEARS. You should be working there.......

(mind you, aren't the archiving/release for viewing of these photos pretty new?)

Some of the streets I asked for, they were physically making the folders up and counting the photos and recording the details on the front as I requested them, for instance, I think you were only the 3rd or 4th to have Rossy out last month.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast